affirmation to marry

Hi Guys

hoping someone can help .

My eldest son flew over to Thailand last week to marry his Thai girlfriend. unfortunately due to work i can't be there.

he lived in in Thailand for 5 years and came back to UK to look for work before trying to get her a visa to move with him.

the problem he faces now is getting the affirmation to marry.

when i married my Thai wife years ago i just turned up at the pattaya consul with a print out and they endorsed it for next day collection.

he has tried to get it done but is told he can only do it now at the UK embassy in BKK and 1st appointment is 21st December !

he is meant to fly back to UK next week for work and he could end up losing his job if he has to extend for another 2 weeks .

is there anywhere in Thailand he can get this done or is there a paid vip route to get it quicker

thanks in advance hopefully

Edited by silentnine

The only thing I can suggest is to make an appointment for the day he comes over next time l he should get the first appointment then he stands a chance of getting it translated and stamped by thai authority within the day (MFA I belive) there are threads on here regarding this process. Remembering to bring all relevant paper work with him.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand

Also remember when your son gets his affirmation to marry a Thai National this has to be translated into Thai and authenticated by the Thai Government "I can't remember what department or where" but I'm sure "Ubonjoe" will know !

We used one of the many translation services not far from the British Embassy to do the translation and submitting it for authentication, it saved days of running around, sitting in queues and they even posted everything to my wife at her office in BKK when it was all completed; of course there is a fee involved but it was well worth it !  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DDbkh said:

Be aware that the MFA now requires 4 working days to sign the translation- if there are no 'mistakes'. It seems impossible to get it all done in a day anymore.

That's why we used an agent to do the translation and running around, fire and forget then magic postal fairies returned it a few days later !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

please be extra caution on assigning an agent to help you with this affirmation to marry

the new ( as of 19 Dec 2017) rules related with MFA thailand, your visa must show that you are inside thailand, then only MFA will accept the application thru agent. else they will reject the application.

i had encounter this situation myself

On 1. 12. 2016 at 4:31 PM, DDbkh said:

Be aware that the MFA now requires 4 working days to sign the translation- if there are no 'mistakes'. It seems impossible to get it all done in a day anymore.

I did a stamp at MFA last week took me one working day, applied tuesday around 10AM waiting time under 30 minuts, returned tuesday afternoon, waiting time was over 4 hours. Asked on tuesday also for express one day service, but in my case it wasnt allowed. Price for normal service 400THB for Express 800THB.

13 hours ago, Fatman666 said:

I did a stamp at MFA last week took me one working day, applied tuesday around 10AM waiting time under 30 minuts, returned next day afternoon, waiting time was over 4 hours. Asked on tuesday also for express one day service, but in my case it wasnt allowed. Price for normal service 400THB for Express 800THB.

Correction: returned wednesday and not tuesday