Aussies Win Ashes

BAKABAS

Coach Duncan Fletcher is still hoping that England can attain the mammoth 557 needed to win the third Ashes Test.

You always need to be positive BUT!!, optimism must be tempered with realism.

Well he had to say it but not a cat in hel_l's chance. There has been nothing in this series to suggest that England could either reach such an enormous total or bat out the 2 days.

I just read that the declaration was a mistake. Ponting wanted to continue but the signals between the dressing room and the crease got confused and the batsmen came in. Not that it matters.

I suspect the Aussie will wrap it up today perhaps with a little token resistance from Pieterson.

This England team has been very different to the one that won last year. That team played with a real comptitive fire which I think can be put down to Vaughan's captaincy and Freddie being at his peak. This series Fred has been below his best and with the extra burden of captaincy has been a shadow of himself.

England's lack of competitiveness and early capitulation has made for a disappointing series by comparison with last year but I am sure you Aussie will be relishing some great performances from some of your boys.

Obviously last summer hurt a lot but it a sign of a great team to return from a setback. Perhaps this series will be the swansong for this team before some of your older boys retire. :o

I expect McGrath to retire after this series, Warnie will go to the world cup

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all bad news for England.

Cooke is a superstar of the future, Pietersen already is one, and, with the likes of Strauss, Flintoff and Bell in the side the batting has a bright future.

Harmison is bloody good when he decides to play, and Hoggard is a reliable stock bowler. They need one more, Mahmood isn't an answer.

Monty could do anything if given the chance, but the backstop has to go and someone other than Flintoff should captain.

All in all the basis of a bloody good side. They are just playing one of the all time great teams.

Not all bad news for England.

Cooke is a superstar of the future, Pietersen already is one, and, with the likes of Strauss, Flintoff and Bell in the side the batting has a bright future.

Harmison is bloody good when he decides to play, and Hoggard is a reliable stock bowler. They need one more, Mahmood isn't an answer.

Monty could do anything if given the chance, but the backstop has to go and someone other than Flintoff should captain.

All in all the basis of a bloody good side. They are just playing one of the all time great teams.

I agree completely Croc, I can see a gradual changing of the guard in the Oz side and we have a lot waiting in the wings, look how long Hussey had to wait.

If all "poms" were like you, it would, in the words of Louis Armstrong "what a wonderful world it would be" :D

Steady on JBG!!

Always a pleasure to talk cricket win or lose and I love the way the Aussies play the game. Maybe meet up for a beer to watch a bit of the dead rubbers? (when no doubt England will play like demons) :o

Most of your old timers will be long gone by next time round so we'll give you a run for your money in 2009.

Until then enjoy the urn.

If all "poms" were like you, it would, in the words of Louis Armstrong "what a wonderful world it would be" :D

Steady on JBG!!

Always a pleasure to talk cricket win or lose and I love the way the Aussies play the game. Maybe meet up for a beer to watch a bit of the dead rubbers? (when no doubt England will play like demons) :o

Most of your old timers will be long gone by next time round so we'll give you a run for your money in 2009.

Until then enjoy the urn.

Trouble with your theory Milt, old boy, is that in 2009 the newbies in the Australian line-up will be seasoned players and the limey's will be looking toward retirement........the result will remain the same. Australia owns The Ashes. :D

Justice at last. After the poms bent the rules to suit last year to steal the Ashes from Australia it's great to see the Urn on it's way back to the rightful owners.
Trouble with your theory Milt, old boy, is that in 2009 the newbies in the Australian line-up will be seasoned players and the limey's will be looking toward retirement........the result will remain the same. Australia owns The Ashes. :D

Coming from someone so one eyed that you couldn't accept that you lost fair and square last time :o

I don't mind a bit of banter Blinky but you struck your colours earlier in the thread.

Still I'll try to explain, you see Blinky, the prime reason that Australia have been the best in world cricket for the past decade and more is primarily because of two great bowlers, McGrath and in particular, Warne, who is the best match winner of all time by a country mile (Yes even better than Bradman). Although there were other great performances in this series Shane won 2 of the 3 matches for you. Once Shane retires you will be on the same level as everyone else in Test cricket and actually probably worse where bowlers are concerned.

So my advice to you is to come off you pedestal and win with good grace.

Oh and I think you will find that the MCC owns the Ashes and that they will continue to reside at Lord's. I don't neccesarily agree with that but while there are clumsy buffons like Blinky about, the fragile little Urn may get damaged.

Edited by miltonbentley

Justice at last. After the poms bent the rules to suit last year to steal the Ashes from Australia it's great to see the Urn on it's way back to the rightful owners.
Coming from someone so one eyed that you couldn't accept that you lost fair and square last time :D

I don't mind a bit of banter Blinky but you struck your colours earlier in the thread.

Still I'll try to explain, you see Blinky, the prime reason that Australia have been the best in world cricket for the past decade and more is primarily because of two great bowlers, McGrath and in particular, Warne, who is the best match winner of all time by a country mile (Yes even better than Bradman). Although there were other great performances in this series Shane won 2 of the 3 matches for you. Once Shane retires you will be on the same level as everyone else in Test cricket and actually probably worse where bowlers are concerned.

So my advice to you is to come off you pedestal and win with good grace.

Oh and I think you will find that the MCC owns the Ashes and that they will continue to reside at Lord's. I don't neccesarily agree with that but while there are clumsy buffons like Blinky about, the fragile little Urn may get damaged.

I'm hurt Milt.....really hurt. :D Nasty nasty words. You know, I am never one to resort to nastiness. But then again..............I guess the recent results make some of the pain go away and the next few weeks will just make me forget all the pain you've inflicted. :o

Let's continue this discussion after the next series in the UK in a few years time.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I'm hurt Milt.....really hurt. :D Nasty nasty words. You know, I am never one to resort to nastiness. But then again..............I guess the recent results make some of the pain go away and the next few weeks will just make me forget all the pain you've inflicted. :o

Let's continue this discussion after the next series in the UK in a few years time.

Sounds fair enough, nothing like a bit of banter :D:D:D:bah::bah:

:o:D

I'm hurt Milt.....really hurt. :D Nasty nasty words. You know, I am never one to resort to nastiness. But then again..............I guess the recent results make some of the pain go away and the next few weeks will just make me forget all the pain you've inflicted. :D

Sounds fair enough, nothing like a bit of banter :D:bah::bah::o;)

:o:D

Well I thought Blinky was a sensitive soul and wanted to give him some reassurance.

OK Milt, it's on today!!

World record crowd for a test match is expected (100,000 tickets sold)

That's incredible considering it's a done deal (the Ashes changing hands) already, and shows the level of interest in the last two games.

Previous record (90,800) was at the MCG in 1961 against the "windies"

So what da ya say, we need to get this back on page one eh :D

Edited by john b good

:D:D

Well I thought Blinky was a sensitive soul and wanted to give him some reassurance.

OK Milt, it's on today!!

World record crowd for a test match is expected (100,000 tickets sold)

That's incredible considering it's a done deal (the Ashes changing hands) already, and shows the level of interest in the last two games.

Previous record (90,800) was at the MCG in 1961 against the "windies"

So what da ya say, we need to get this back on page one eh :D

Absolutely JBG. You're up early for Boxing Day hope you had a good one.

From a cricket fans perspective sorry to hear about Warney's retirement. Although obviously delighted that he will no longer be tormenting English batsmen after this series. I hear that Muralitharan is aiming for 1,000 test wickets but he is not in Warne's league and a chucker to boot in my opinion. I hope to get to Hampshire sometime in the next 2 summers to watch him again before he finally gives up the game.

Anyway crap weather in Melbourne and 1 wicket down - not an auspicious start for England :o

HOWZAT !!!

Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne captured his 700th test wicket on Tuesday as England slumped to 117 for four at tea on the opening day of the fourth Ashes test.

Warne clean bowled England opener Andrew Strauss for 50 on the second ball of his fourth over to become the first player in history to reach the once-unimaginable milestone.

:D:o

Edited by john b good

HOWZAT !!!

Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne captured his 700th test wicket on Tuesday as England slumped to 117 for four at tea on the opening day of the fourth Ashes test.

Warne clean bowled England opener Andrew Strauss for 50 on the second ball of his fourth over to become the first player in history to reach the once-unimaginable milestone.

Done like kippers!

Shane's a legend :D

HOWZAT !!!

Followed by 4 more in short order. All out for 159..............Ho hum. :D

Should be another 15 of so by the end of the Sydney test.

England won the toss and elected to bat first in the fifth and final test against Australia starting at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Tuesday.

That might not have been a real wise decision with the wicket favouring spin.

Hi JBG sorry not been on all day been as busy as hel_l.

Can England avoid a final humiliation? I hope so and not a bad start.

England won the toss and elected to bat first in the fifth and final test against Australia starting at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Tuesday.

Have to admit Milt that they have made a reasonable start.

Have to admit Milt that they have made a reasonable start.

"tis so but in the series they have not managed to string 2 good days together so odds are it's your day tomorrow.

At stumps, day 3 England 5-114 (12 runs ahead)

AND two full days yet to play.

It's not looking too good Milt.

Hope the weather does not play too much of a part.

Another woeful performance. Morale in the England camp appalling, Time to pack up, go home and learn how to play cricket. :o

Agree with you about the weather JBG. sad to say the Aussie fully deserve 5-0 :D

At stumps, day 3 England 5-114 (12 runs ahead)

AND two full days yet to play.

It's not looking too good Milt.

Hope the weather does not play too much of a part.

Another woeful performance. Morale in the England camp appalling, Time to pack up, go home and learn how to play cricket. :o

Agree with you about the weather JBG. sad to say the Aussie fully deserve 5-0 :D

The're going from bad to worse.

All out for 147 and Australia only needing 46 runs with almost two days of play available.

I'd like to see Warne and McGrath open, but no! it's Langer and Hayden (0-0)