phutsaa (jujube)

fruitman

Lately there are chinese phutsaa-apples for sale from china, the brown brown/green ones who are vely nice. Crispy and sweet and nice flavour, easy to eat.

There are many more sweet jujube's on the world, are they growing in thailand as well? I mean the nice sweet ones, not the yellows but maybe you have sweet yellows in your area??

I bought a grafted tree from the brown ones, can that grow and fruit in BKK? If so, how many times a year do they fruit in thailand/BKK?

Hi Fruitman,

I am Petchabun and we grow 2 varieties, the putsa apen (apple) and the putsa sam luat.  The coloring depends on how long you wait to harvest.  We are beginning to harvest now and I don't think you would have trouble growing them in BKK

• 1 month later...

Sorry i missed this post.

Petchabun is colder than bkk but my grafted chinese jujube has 1 fruit and many new flowers now.

It looks to do well so far.

The apple jujube is grown on farms in thailand as well but i like the brown/green ones more. I wonder where they come from (china or thailand?).

PA170426.jpg

Is the Li jujube also in growing in thailand? I hope to find it one day.

12 hours ago, Jotham79 said:

I'm pretty sure that it comes from China or maybe Viet Nam, I have not seen it around here. 

My tree has many new flowers now and the 1 fruit is getting large, BKK might be too warm for it but we'll see.

For people living in/near the mountains it's worth a try growing it as well.  A grafted tree of the brown jujube costed 70 baht, i only hope they didn't sell me the Thai variety which is sour.

Archived