Any recent experience with Thai Airways?

sekmet

Just a note (I could be wrong):

Thai Airways does not serve the US west-coast with own flights since long.

(there was the famous Bangkok - Los Angeles nonstop, but stopped long ago)

So depending on your exact schedule you are asking about Eva Air, Asiana Airlines, All Nippon Airways on the long (pacific) leg in terms of seat pitch and service.

(those are the operators that TG seems to do code share)

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

So depending on your exact schedule you are asking about Eva Air, Asiana Airlines, All Nippon Airways on the long (pacific) leg in terms of seat pitch and service.

Yes, you are correct. I looked up the flight code on Seat Guru this morning. it is a code share with ANA to NRT, and ANA is pretty good IMHO.

Just got back from USA. VA hosp Phoenix AZ  installed heart pacemaker, in ear hearing aids and cataract surgery both eyes(I'm 78).

Flew Delta PHX to LAX, they sent my 2 bags/luggage to Salt Lake City(SLC). Why? Who the %#** knows! Delta baggage agent said bags would be put on Delta's next flight to BKK and Delta would deliver them personally to my home. She lied, First of all Delta doesn't fly to BKK and they had no intentions/plans of delivering luggage/bags to my home. One bag sent back to Phoenix(Why? who the #%*# knows) other (2nd bag) sent to Bangkok.

Thai Airways found Bangkok luggage/bag (1) for me and wife picked it up at swampy. 5 hour round trip with van cost of $100 ... I haven't a clue how Thai Air found luggage or got involved but they did. Other (2nd) bag from Delta still missing. Delta now doing search, cannot find. Delta is crappy AL, every thing about Delta is low class/poor, from planes to uniforms, to service. to competence. In all my years of flying have not found a more incompetent AL then Delta. I'm sure next step will be fighting with Delta for proper monetary compensation for lost luggage/bag ... as all insurance companies do they will no doubt deny monetary compensation several times citing so called rules/regs hoping I will give up and go away. That will not happen, I'm so pissed I will keep fighting.

Flew Eva Air from LAX to BKK. Excellent flight, seating, service and care. I've flown Eva 3X's always great.

Edited by carken
grammer

Flew THAI Brisbane to Bangkok September & back to Brisbane in November, new plane ,shaved at least 1/2 hour of flight, very good service,food OK,flying again in December with THAI . hard to beat a direct flight never lost any luggage in the twenty or so flights with THAI.

Thai can be very expensive or quite cheap depending on when you catch them. You have to spend time on Skyscanner putting in different dates, days, return dates etc. I have done CNX - LHR  5 times this year with Thai and I've always got the same flights  0110 from BKK and 1150 from LHR. I'm not bothered by the food, get on BKK couple of pills get off LHR, I don't do those middle east change flights anymore. The only thing is when you grab a special price you only get a quarter of your air miles, which doesn't particularly bother me.

I've been flying Thai SYD to BKK to SYD for 33 years plus many many domestics as well with them. Love the service, love the staff and enjoy their business class upstairs in their (refurbished) old 747's. I even enjoyed their food.

One thing I don't like are their fares. Way too expensive!

This trip I'm flying 'business' with Emirates SYD to BKK to SYD.  $1,200.00 cheaper than Thai...    say no more.  (and a free hire car to pick me up and take me to Sydney Airport, as well as a pick-up at Swampy to Hotel.

Can't fault their domestic flights.  All the flights I go on are nice new planes.

I catch the 10.05am from CNX to BKK regularly,  it's obviously a domestic for the BKK, CNX route but it was actually an international flight (747) from Frankfurt. I travelled business but if I got to the check-in nice and early they would bump me up to Royal First Class. Nice old lurk whilst it lasted.  Now they're using different planes.

5 hours ago, uptheos said:

Thai can be very expensive or quite cheap depending on when you catch them. You have to spend time on Skyscanner putting in different dates, days, return dates etc. I have done CNX - LHR  5 times this year with Thai and I've always got the same flights  0110 from BKK and 1150 from LHR. I'm not bothered by the food, get on BKK couple of pills get off LHR, I don't do those middle east change flights anymore. The only thing is when you grab a special price you only get a quarter of your air miles, which doesn't particularly bother me.

Could you enlighten me about the pills i.e. name of and how long you sleep plus can you have a beer before hand .  Thanks in advance 

There is a website that rates all airlines.  Suggest you look it up to get a more comprehensive view of the various carriers.  By the way, never, ever, ever fly China Air.  They caused us to miss a connecting flight and the staff were very rude and one got the impression that the passengers were nothing more than an inconvenient herd of cattle!

Never Thai Air again after the racism I was subject to on the LAX to BKK flight back when, I learned my lesson. They had the 2-4-2 seating, plenty of open window rows, the stewardesses went to each Thai and asked if they wanted a seat by the window by themselves. Not one falang sitting in a row of 4 was asked. So Thai's got a nice window seat/row all to themselves while the falang got to sit 4 across all the way to Bangkok. Not again ever.

11 hours ago, superal said:

Could you enlighten me about the pills i.e. name of and how long you sleep plus can you have a beer before hand .  Thanks in advance 

Given the hoo haa when they serve the main meal after taking off and the same for 'breakfast' about 2 hours before landing, I would say I sleep solidly for about 8 hours out of the 12 or whatever. I also use ear plugs, a mask and a neck thingy, so you really have to plan to sleep even if you take medication.I think I've got it down to a fine art, I'll tell you again at New Year. I think you need to do your own research regarding what suits you for sleeping, perhaps talk to a doctor, you shouldn't have any problem getting something.

Can you have a beer in advance? I guess this is entirely up to you, but it depends if you want to sleep or pee. :smile:

On 12/4/2016 at 9:15 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Correct. TG also had a BKK-JFK nonstop 17 hours  (obviously not west coast) but discontinued that years ago too. TG is part of Star Alliance and code shares with United. To my knowlede they do not serve the USA any longer. Flew from NRT to BKK last month in economy on Thai and the seats were typical OK for 6 ft 165 lb (75 kg). Of course it helped that I had row of 3 seats to myself!

For under  $1000 RT to the US, consider Korean or one of the Chinese carriers.