Certified copy of Passport Needed for UK visa?

Back again with another question on spouse visa application! :saai:

I've heard that I will need to get my (read: the sponsor's) passport photocopies legally certified.   For the half dozen visit visas I've done in the past I've just signed each photocopied page.  Can anyone confirm that the legal certification is required or just recommended? 

If so, I'm assuming the best place to do that is the Embassy Notarial Service though I'm concerned that the "[...] fee is determined by the number of pages requiring certification" could end up costing an arm and a leg seeing as one signature costs 25 quid from the embassy.

Would anyone have experience of this?  Know what that might end up costing at the embassy?  Or have any other (reputable) alternatives?

Many thanks in advance.

I'm not sure that there is actually need to have a passport copy certified in any way, shape or form, though most people do so.

The actual requirement in the list of required documents is for a copy of the evidence, I can't see any instruction that it needs to be legalised.

Yeah, that seems to be about right.  I can't find any official information that it's a requirement, though a number of people recommend it.  I used the UKVI help contact form https://ukvi-international.faq-help.com/ and posed the question, to which the one sentence response was....

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.

Which, is...well... information that I knew and in no way answered my question.  :saai:

I'll try rephrasing the question again, with a bit less waffle (I tend to waffle...) and see what response I get... though I'm leaning towards getting it officially stamped at the embassy for safety's sake.  Adds another £50 to everything else this will cost!

Thanks again for the info theoldgit

Thinking outside of the box for a minute, if documents submitted as evidence are not in English or Welsh, not only do they have to be translated, but there are specific instructions that those translations have to be certified, there are no specific instructions that copied passports need any sort of countersigning or notorisation, so maybe they don't.

Full marks to their help desk who are able to answer a question that's never been asked though.

Maybe not required, but I've always simply self certified copies of passports thus:

"I (full name) certify that this is a true copy of page (number) of my passport (number)(signed and dated)"

Never had a problem.

Many thanks rasg!

Btw, I asked UKVI directly again using the online help form... (with a lot less waffle - much more direct) and the response I got was

With regards to your query, please see the following link for guidance when applying for a UK visa for family settlement:

... and the link was broken.  404 - Page not found.

:blink:

Edited by globalThailand

Uff... so I figured I'd make a start with the online application.  Once I select the settlement / wife visa type the dialogue opens up saying I must also complete appendix 2 and the su07 form, which they have links to... and one of the links is broken.  :saai:

I found it, no probs... but really?!  I used online application for visit visas at least 3 years back and there is still a 'BETA: This is the new UK visa application website.' warning on the site header.  What does the excessive application fees actually get spent on?

It might still be beta but it does still work.

Yes you do need to complete Appendix 2 but if it's a visa for your wife you don't need SU/07. 

What does the excessive application fees actually get spent on?

That would be called extortionate profit...

I read it a couple of days ago and the cost to process a visa is around £170.