Thai Drug Mule Says She Was Tricked

geovalin

A 22-year-old Thai woman went on trial yesterday after being accused of trying to smuggle more than 2.5 kilograms of cocaine into Cambodia. Amphawan Kaewkanlaya, 22, brought the drugs from the United Arab Emirates to Phnom Penh International Airport on March 30.

Ms. Amphawan denies knowing there were drugs among chocolates in Lindt-brand boxes she had in her luggage. Lieutenant General Khieu Saman, chief of the anti-drugs section of the Interior Ministry, told Phnom Penh Municipal Court that Ms. Amphawan was arrested after she got off the flight from Qatar in March.   Police seized 2,594 grams of cocaine from her.

He said the drug ringleader who is the owner of the drugs was still at large. Police are seeking his arrest to prosecute him under Cambodian laws.   In court yesterday, Ms. Amphawan denied guilt. She said the drugs belonged to her Nigerian boyfriend Ouche’s older brother.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/32744/thai-drug-mule-says-she-was-tricked/

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And she never even thought to question??

Sorry, but the buck has to stop somewhere.  If you're going to travel by air, you're going to have to accept responsibility for what's in your baggage.  It can't be any other way.  "Someone gave it to me" is lame.

Sad story, as the young Thai-girl may not know at all about previous horror stories, as she said, »that she traveled from Thailand to visit her boyfriend’s family in Dubai. Her boyfriend paid for her airline tickets, visa, food and accommodation. She said before she returned home, she received the chocolates from her boyfriend’s brother, whose name she did not remember...

...The brother asked her to bring the gifts for his friend in Cambodia. She traveled from Dubai to Cambodia having transferred flights in Qatar.«

Another possibility is she was offered something more in return for being a mule, but I believe she didn't know she was used – just kind, and uanware of the risk being kind – as I think drug-smugglers prefer ignorant and therefore truly innocent-looking people.

8 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

Of course she knew. Of course she was getting paid for the carry. Of course she will deny knowledge.
One wouldn't give 2.5 kg of cocaine to a courier and have them think it's only a few chocolates that might easily be forgotten, left on the bus, etc

You are crediting women with rather too much intelligence

2 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

This story should be all over the front pages of all Thai Newspapers, to serve as a warning to other potential victims, that they should Never, Ever, have a Nigerian Boyfriend.

There will be no Happy Ending. End of Story!!!

What a shameful thing to write on here.  There are many more honest Nigerians in Thailand than dishonest, there are large companies owned by Nigerians, textile companies, export companies, cargo companies and many many others, Nigeria is one of Thailand's biggest trade partners and many years the largest rice buyer, Thailand needs and wants Nigerians.  Please keep your bigotry to yourself.

9 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

What a shameful thing to write on here.  There are many more honest Nigerians in Thailand than dishonest, there are large companies owned by Nigerians, textile companies, export companies, cargo companies and many many others, Nigeria is one of Thailand's biggest trade partners and many years the largest rice buyer, Thailand needs and wants Nigerians.  Please keep your bigotry to yourself.

When I hear something 'un-believable' I always question it.......Can you offer any proof of your belief about more 'honest' Nigerians??????

According to the media, I never hear about any of those 'Honest' Nigerians you are speaking of..........

Per the media, I hear of so many Nigerians who are caught in various criminal activities and never a one who is recognized for 'good deeds'......... 

All I can go by is what 'reputation' the Nigerians have in Thailand and on the internet (scammers)........You will need to prove this on to me (and probably most others) as it is so contrary to Popular Belief......

1 minute ago, sawadeeken said:

When I hear something 'un-believable' I always question it.......Can you offer any proof of your belief about more 'honest' Nigerians??????

According to the media, I never hear about any of those 'Honest' Nigerians you are speaking of..........

Per the media, I hear of so many Nigerians who are caught in various criminal activities and never a one who is recognized for 'good deeds'......... 

All I can go by is what 'reputation' the Nigerians have in Thailand and on the internet (scammers)........You will need to prove this on to me (and probably most others) as it is so contrary to Popular Belief......

Well that's what happens when you read a rag and hang out in bars where westerners are looking to buy drugs, you will only hear the bad things and see the bad guys.

Their trade is worth 818 million dollars, do you think that happens all alone?

But no, I do not "need to prove" that there are good Nigerians.  You want to slander an entire nation, you prove that they are all bad!

30 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

When i hear the word Nigerian i visualize the word scam automatically 

1 minute ago, Shawn0000 said:

Well that's what happens when you read a rag and hang out in bars where westerners are looking to buy drugs, you will only hear the bad things and see the bad guys.

But no, I do not "need to prove" that there are good Nigerians.  You want to slander an entire nation, you prove that they are all bad!

You sound Nigerian yourself and (criticise 'Westerners') and must be trying to protect a bad reputation of your homeland........

818 million doesn't say anything about the character of those businessmen.

And you 'don't need to prove it' because you can't'    Many years ago my mom (bless her) taught me to be 'realistic' in all I say and do. She taught me to "Call a SPADE, a SPADE"

A lot of bigots do.

This guy must be Nigerian ----- calling everybody who mentions all the Nigerian Criminals in the news......

Calling them "Bigots" as if just talking about Nigerian Criminals make us a 'Bigot'.............

18 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

You sound Nigerian yourself and (criticise 'Westerners') and must be trying to protect a bad reputation of your homeland........

818 million doesn't say anything about the character of those businessmen.

And you 'don't need to prove it' because you can't'    Many years ago my mom (bless her) taught me to be 'realistic' in all I say and do. She taught me to "Call a SPADE, a SPADE"

What a sad assumption, that the only person who would defend a nationality would be someone from the nation.  I am not, I am from the UK and am Celtic in origin.

I don't need to prove it because it is utterly ludicrous.

Obviously you haven't been to the parts of Bangkok where it is clear that the Nigerians are here on serious business, but to make an assumption based on "reputation" which is actually just bigoted gossip, and the crime stories you read in a rag, just says something about your level of thought, so I am not going to entertain you any further.  If you really want to know then I suggest you take a trip to one of the wholesale clothing markets instead of judging the thousands of Nigerians living in Bangkok on a handful of drug dealers hanging out near Nana.

4 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

This guy must be Nigerian ----- calling everybody who mentions all the Nigerian Criminals in the news......

Calling them "Bigots" as if just talking about Nigerian Criminals make us a 'Bigot'.............

No. generalizing on all Nigerians based on the actions of some is by definition bigotry, I am just stating a fact.

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

Nigeria is one of Thailand's biggest trade partners. Thailand has gone backwards in time 10 fold. 

Just now, rjwill01 said:

Nigeria is one of Thailand's biggest trade partners. Thailand has gone backwards in time 10 fold. 

Why?  They are the 30th largest economy in the world with a growth rate of 7%, if this continues they will be in the top 20 by 2020, Thailand is the 32nd largest, they are both emerging market economies, Thailand needs to sell rice, Nigeria needs to buy it, Nigeria needs to sell oil, Thailand needs to buy it, they are a perfectly fine match and they have been trading for a long time.

8 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

A lot of bigots do.

3 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

No. generalizing on all Nigerians based on the actions of some is by definition bigotry, I am just stating a fact.

5 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

What a sad assumption, that the only person who would defend a nationality would be someone from the nation.  I am not, I am from the UK and am Celtic in origin.

I don't need to prove it because it is utterly ludicrous.

Obviously you haven't been to the parts of Bangkok where it is clear that the Nigerians are here on serious business, but to make an assumption based on "reputation" which is actually just bigoted gossip, and the crime stories you read in a rag, just says something about your level of thought, so I am not going to entertain you any further.  If you really want to know then I suggest you take a trip to one of the wholesale clothing markets instead of judging the thousands of Nigerians living in Bangkok on a handful of drug dealers hanging out near Nana.

OK, I can believe you are an immigrant to the UK and with Nigerian "Bloodlines".... who else is going to try feebly to the reputation of the Nigerians......

This original post is all about a Nigerian who 'duped' a nieve and gullible young (22 y.o.)Thai girl into carrying drugs for him.......... (and I might say ruined her life)

57 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

I took the bait. Here are some notable Nigerians living in Bangkok:

Professor S. O. Ogunlana, Asian Institute of Technology

Dr. Christopher Chukwumaijem Anyadubalu, Dusit Thani Intl. College

Mr. Emmanuel Nweke Okafor, Siam University

Adefolarin Durosinmi, Sisaket FC

Marco Tagbajumi, Nakhon Rachasima FC

Mr. Nnamdi, restaurateur and exporter

Mr. Facon, factory owner and exporter

Then there are the pastors of the 5 Nigerian churches in Bangkok, Hebron International Ministry, Throne of Grace International, Redeemed Christian Church of God, New Life Prayer Ministry, Bride of Christ Internationl Ministry.

How many people do you know from your own country who are of similar social status and living in Bangkok?  Any?

23 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

OK, I can believe you are an immigrant to the UK and with Nigerian "Bloodlines".... who else is going to try feebly to the reputation of the Nigerians......

This original post is all about a Nigerian who 'duped' a nieve and gullible young (22 y.o.)Thai girl into carrying drugs for him.......... (and I might say ruined her life)

"Believe" what you like, you are making a fool of yourself.

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Of course she knew. Of course she was getting paid for the carry. Of course she will deny knowledge.
One wouldn't give 2.5 kg of cocaine to a courier and have them think it's only a few chocolates that might easily be forgotten, left on the bus, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

or eaten! 

4 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I took the bait. Here are some notable Nigerians living in Bangkok:

Professor S. O. Ogunlana, Asian Institute of Technology

Dr. Christopher Chukwumaijem Anyadubalu, Dusit Thani Intl. College

Mr. Emmanuel Nweke Okafor, Siam University

Adefolarin Durosinmi, Sisaket FC

Marco Tagbajumi, Nakhon Rachasima FC

Mr. Nnamdi, restaurateur and exporter

Mr. Facon, factory owner and exporter

Then there are the pastors of the 5 Nigerian churches in Bangkok, Hebron International Ministry, Throne of Grace International, Redeemed Christian Church of God, New Life Prayer Ministry, Bride of Christ Internationl Ministry.

How many people do you know from your own country who are of similar social status and living in Bangkok?  Any?

Never heard of any of these folks, but I have heard about Micky Mouse and Donald duck and many Nigerians who have 'Scammed' folks and sell drugs and Lure unsuspecting Thai girls to be their Drug Mules, as in this post........

These folks listed above must be relatives of yours or other business aquaintences and we don't know anything 'positive' about any of them, execpt your testimony which isn't convincing enough.

Is it possible that you could ask any of these folks above to try to help this poor girl that this thread is about so as to give us reason to believe there age some good Nigerians around?    Otherwise we may never know that there are some 'good' Nigerians......

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

I neither hang out in bars or read rags. I did a quick check:

http://www.thetrentonline.com/nigeria-ranked-1-corrupt-country-buhari-best-ranking-index/

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

I'm not an expert but one could draw a number of conclusions from these and many other such sites. The sata is empirical, obviously that's in-country. All the good people could have left.

Capture.JPG

2 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I expect they are a little more careful than that, if they know then they could also run away with it or chuck it in the bin before they board, if they were not daft they would send someone they have never seen before to watch over them the whole journey. 

And it is very believable that she would not have known, someone who believes they are innocent looks innocent whereas someone who knows they are carrying 2.5kg of cocaine looks guilty as hell, it is a proven tactic of drug gangs to use people who do not know what they are carrying.  It works, from the lotteries in Morocco where European tourists were selected if they had a car with a tow hitch and sold a winning ticket for a caravan full of hash that was promptly stolen off them once they arrived, to the hacking of the container ports computer systems to pick up a drug stuffed container without knowledge of the legitimate importer or suspicion of the port, the concept of using the innocent has been going on a long long time.

I expect they are a little more careful than that, if they know then they could also run away with it or chuck it in the bin before they board, if they were not daft they would send someone they have never seen before to watch over them the whole journey. 

And it is very believable that she would not have known, someone who believes they are innocent looks innocent whereas someone who knows they are carrying 2.5kg of cocaine looks guilty as hell, it is a proven tactic of drug gangs to use people who do not know what they are carrying.  It works, from the lotteries in Morocco where European tourists were selected if they had a car with a tow hitch and sold a winning ticket for a caravan full of hash that was promptly stolen off them once they arrived, to the hacking of the container ports computer systems to pick up a drug stuffed container without knowledge of the legitimate importer or suspicion of the port, the concept of using the innocent has been going on a long long time.

Actually another trick they use is to send a decoy - ie stupid gullible young girl [i do feel sorry for her] who they then inform on so the authorities catch her, then the bribes take care of the one with the larger amount. It;'s a numbers game and margins so high a few kilos lost is nothing. 

I feel for these mules. I know how it works. Sometimes they really don't know. They are simply used by low life nobodys who sell drugs for a living, to carry drugs because they don't want to do it themselves. 

Very often it's just a bait. While one person gets caught with some drugs, the real big shipment goes through without a problem, because the attention of the authorities is diverted, or they are simply paid off.  

Archived