Randomly interrogated by foreigner & Thai officer, is this normal?

22 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

" It's not common as you seem to be suggesting "

Thailand’s fake police

http://www.thebigchilli.com/features/thailands-fake-police

So you have no links to examples of all the fake police incidents that you suggested were common.  

The Big Chilli article didn't refer to any so I don't know why you included it.   Police paraphernalia being available isn't an example of a fake police incident.

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

So you have no links to examples of all the fake police incidents that you suggested were common.  

The Big Chilli article didn't refer to any so I don't know why you included it.   Police paraphernalia being available isn't an example of a fake police incident.

there are very many examples of fake police incidents quoted in an article in the newspaper that we are not allowed to provide a link to on this forum. But if seeing examples is of such importance to you I'm sure you will be able to use your own initiative to find such article:smile:

1 hour ago, Grubster said:

They don't need a reason here, where do you think you are. If you piss them off you will find out where you are.

really? So you're saying they can grab you off the streets and put you in detention for no reason?

I think you're being a bit ridiculous:giggle:

• Like 1

You should have taken THEIR picture and posted it here. Since they now know your address and how far away from home you eat, if your stuff comes up missing in the future you'd have a photo to show police for a possible lead. I have encountered a ME looking male that speaks ok English and is some kind of con artist/busybody that I don't give the time of day to.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

You should have taken THEIR picture and posted it here. Since they now know your address and how far away from home you eat, if your stuff comes up missing in the future you'd have a photo to show police for a possible lead. I have encountered a ME looking male that speaks ok English and is some kind of con artist/busybody that I don't give the time of day to.

On 12/7/2016 at 6:25 PM, toelli said:

Still confused i handed the civilian dressed Thai my European drivers license (all i had on me).

It seems you did not read the OP or you think they are going to Europe to break into his residence.

Some of you here have the misguided concept that we r trying tell the OP to be rude and refuse to cooperate with the immigration, police or whatever relevant authorities that are in Thailand. 

What some of us are trying to tell him is to protect himself from possible scams in a polite and firm way and cooperate in the best way he can if they are genuine.

From my experience, if u come across any immigration officers or police here and u speak to them nicely and request them for ID, they will not refuse u.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It seems you did not read the OP or you think they are going to Europe to break into his residence.

I believe I read it just fine - And I quote: " Something really odd happened few minutes ago while i was waiting for Thai food at a local street food restaurant here in the business district of Asok Montri Rd."

Followed by: " I told them i live here and have valid a workpermit (not with me at the restaurant however) and answered questions like: where do i live, where do i work, how long have i lived here and they took some photos of my drivers license and then left. "

Except for the part about the drivers licence, I don't believe Europe was mentioned.