West Ham Thread

EastSaxCol

From Sky Sports.

West Ham United have, as expected, parted company with manager Gianfranco Zola.

More to follow...

Wow Lite Beer, didn't know you followed football, thanks for the update though :)

Have been a Hammer all my life. Used to have a season ticket in the Bobby Moore Stand.

Not sure about these new owners. Too much to say for themselves.

The Hammers have confirmed that they have sacked the Italian, following a meeting on Tuesday.

It comes as little surprise, as he has been at loggerheads with new owners David Sullivan and David Gold almost since the day they took charge at Upton Park.

Sky Sports.

From the West Ham official web site.

West Ham United statement

West Ham United have terminated the contract of Gianfranco Zola

West Ham United confirm that they have terminated the contract of Gianfranco Zola.

The Board of Directors would like to thank him for his contribution and wish him well for the future. The Club will now be focusing its efforts on seeking a replacement.

The Club will be making no further comment on this matter.

From the West Ham official web site.

West Ham United statement

West Ham United have terminated the contract of Gianfranco Zola

West Ham United confirm that they have terminated the contract of Gianfranco Zola.

The Board of Directors would like to thank him for his contribution and wish him well for the future. The Club will now be focusing its efforts on seeking a replacement.

The Club will be making no further comment on this matter.

Not that any of us didn't see this coming.

, hard luck zola, triad hard , but just couldnt quite cut it , good luck to him , but not that clarke, waste of farkin space , looked like a tramp that slept in his own motor,

simple thing is zola wasnt g&s choice ,

word is , avram grant on monday.

hope there is also a huge clearout of deadwood, ie, benni mcarthy has just been named in the s,africa wc squaud, what the f$$%k for ??, im lost for words. if we can get shot of all the parasites like him and start from scratch,

coyi

p.s. stick the champoins league right up yer prawn sandwich arse :)

Avram Grant certainly has plenty of recent experience in relegation battles...well more like surrender....sure he's not French? Anyway he loved his prawn sarnie days at Chelsea not much chance of him getting another bite at that...just a load of old tripe on the table now it seems. :)

Avram Grant certainly has plenty of recent experience in relegation battles...well more like surrender....sure he's not French? Anyway he loved his prawn sarnie days at Chelsea not much chance of him getting another bite at that...just a load of old tripe on the table now it seems. :D

Was that before or after he was a Penalty Kick away ( & a hilarious Penlty Kick at that :D ) from winning the CL ?? :)

No Mug is Grant, i wouldn't be dissapointed for him to be in charge..

Best thing that has happened to us all Season them sacking teh Chelsea Monkey yesterday, well done G&S..

10 reasons he had to go, stolen from the Mirror & without blowing my own Trumpet ( :) ), i have been saying much of this since it became apparent he was extremely out of his depth..

1) His disastrous first full season in charge

West Ham retained their Premier League status by default, staying up purely because the three teams below them were, unbelievably, even more woeful. The stats speak for themselves - eight wins, 19 defeats, 35 points - but, to add some context, compare with those of the Hammers' last relegation season in 2002-03: 10 wins, 16 defeats and 42 points.

2) His overall career stats

Zola was praised for steering the side he took over from Alan Curbishley to a creditable ninth place finish in 2009, but that season was also blighted by a disastrous run of form that left West Ham flirting with the relegation zone for a large chunk of the season. The proof of this particular pudding can be found in the Italian's overall league record as West Ham boss: played 80, won 23, drawn 21, lost 36, providing a win percentage of just 28.75. This is by far the lowest of any of the Hammers' Premier League managers - even the much maligned Glenn Roeder managed 31.39% (from a comparable 86 games).

3) His choice of formation

Zola is an outspoken advocate of the beautiful game played the beautiful way - for which read Chelsea's potent and fluid 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation - and while his determination to introduce such a style of football at Upton Park chimed with West Ham's own rich history, the Italian's failure to recognise that he lacked the personnel to pull it off almost ended in disaster. Whether borne out of naivety or arrogance, Zola's refusal to put substance before style was one of his major undoings.

4) His motivational abilities

Much was made of Zola's relationship with his playing staff - something their over-zealous public displays of affection when celebrating goals has proved - but the lethargy with which they set about their supposed relegation battle told another story. And, let's be honest here: if you had a boss who was one of the lads and potentially let you get away with murder at the workplace, you'd be quite vocal with your support as well should somebody higher up threaten to replace him with a more disciplined appointment.

5) His inconsistent team selections

Yes, Zola's reign was bedevilled by injury, but some of the decisions he made with the personnel that was available to him were baffling: persistently playing Mark Noble, Jack Collison and Alessandro Diamanti on the wings when none of them were suited to the role; or continually punishing mistakes by central defenders Danny Gabbidon, James Tomkins and Manuel Da Costa with a subsequent benching when a settled back four was needed.

6) His blind allegiance to Jonathan Spector

By far Zola's biggest blind spot involved the Hammers' left-back berth, though. Despite impressive showings by the 19 year-old Swiss international Fabio Daprela on the rare occasions he was allowed out of the stiffs, Zola insisted on picking Jonathan Spector, a competent-at-best reserve right-back whose calamitous errors on his unfavoured side cost the Hammers hatfuls of points.

7) His injury record

At what point does base bad luck verge on something rather less palatable instead? Zola's appointment of fellow Italian Antonio Pintus as fitness coach was heralded as a chance to confine Curbishley's walking wounded era to history. In the event, little changed, and West Ham's season was blighted by a series of - arguably preventable - soft tissue injuries sustained during early stages of games to key players.

8) His transfer record

Given the obfuscation over how much influence Zola actually had on the comings and goings of personnel during both regimes that he served under, it's hard to say how much he was to blame to for the exodus on talent and influx of flops at Upton Park over the past 18 months. However, the manager did go on record after the arrival of Inter Milan loanee Luis Jimenez, stating that he was the type of player he wanted to build a team around. After just 11 disappointing league starts, the Chilean was shipped back to Italy.

9) His affiliation with Chelsea

Of course top-level football appointments should overcome petty rivalries, but the fact that Zola was one of hated London rivals Chelsea's all-time legends rankled from the start. When results were going their way, the critics in the Chicken Run were happy to let this slide; when they weren't it became another stick with which to stir their simmering cauldron of resentment. Zola himself didn't help matters any by publicly expressing his admiration for East End hate figure Frank Lampard and also choosing to go to Stamford Bridge for Chelsea's crunch game with Arsenal in February instead of scouting upcoming West Ham opponents Birmingham and Wolves who were playing at St Andrews that same Sunday afternoon.

10) His relationship with Gold and Sullivan

No matter what your thoughts on West Ham's new owners and they way they go about their business, it's imperative that the man in the dugout maintains a decent working relationship with them. Zola's appeared to get off on the wrong foot - and then went quickly downhill from there. From the moment David Sullivan - quite rightly - lambasted Zola's side for their woeful performance in the 3-1 home defeat to fellow strugglers Wolves, it was clear that the Italian's days were numbered.

Avram Grant certainly has plenty of recent experience in relegation battles...well more like surrender....sure he's not French? Anyway he loved his prawn sarnie days at Chelsea not much chance of him getting another bite at that...just a load of old tripe on the table now it seems. :)

and he has a better chance of not being recognized in London - coming out of massage parlors.

Avram Grant certainly has plenty of recent experience in relegation battles...well more like surrender....sure he's not French? Anyway he loved his prawn sarnie days at Chelsea not much chance of him getting another bite at that...just a load of old tripe on the table now it seems. :D

and he has a better chance of not being recognized in London - coming out of massage parlors.

They'll think he's Baron Von Greenback :)

I think he would be a very astute choice. They would at the least be well organised and he'd get alot more out of the current squad than Zola did.

Well personally I think it is a shame, I do not want to see Avram Grant there, same thing with loyalties, and then how many Ex Pompey players will he sign.

Curbs has settled his differences with G and S, so maybe that was one of their candidates, I don't wanna see Hughes either. No European manager either, but that leaves little choice. If a European then maybe Slaven would be a great candidate, and an idol for most of our fans and players. But maybe give someone who is relatively new, maybe Ferguson, who could then pull strings with his dad and we could get a few good players on loan.

Also on a good note, at least Scottie Parker made the 30 for England, don't think he will make the last 23 but at least another England player in the ranks.

Well personally I think it is a shame, I do not want to see Avram Grant there, same thing with loyalties, and then how many Ex Pompey players will he sign.

Curbs has settled his differences with G and S, so maybe that was one of their candidates, I don't wanna see Hughes either. No European manager either, but that leaves little choice. If a European then maybe Slaven would be a great candidate, and an idol for most of our fans and players. But maybe give someone who is relatively new, maybe Ferguson, who could then pull strings with his dad and we could get a few good players on loan.

Also on a good note, at least Scottie Parker made the 30 for England, don't think he will make the last 23 but at least another England player in the ranks.

Very similar as to what my Old Man was saying to me on the blower this morning most of that beano, & he wants Bilic or PDC cos of the connections already to the Club ( even though Bilic fcuked off at the first sign of $$ to Everton :) )..

I don't think it's a shame though, did you watch the Wolves Home Game beano ??

It was one of the most embaressing Games i have ever seen & there's been a few, the shape of the Team just everything, was an absolute joke & there were far too many occasions this Season where we were just simply awful, our set up, our personnel chosen, everything..

I'm glad he's gone & i believe whoever they choose, G&S will make the right decision.

Very similar as to what my Old Man was saying to me on the blower this morning most of that beano, & he wants Bilic or PDC cos of the connections already to the Club ( even though Bilic fcuked off at the first sign of $$ to Everton :) )..

It was one of the most embaressing Games i have ever seen & there's been a few, the shape of the Team just everything, was an absolute joke & there were far too many occasions this Season where we were just simply awful, our set up, our personnel chosen, everything..

I'm glad he's gone & i believe whoever they choose, G&S will make the right decision.

I hear Rafa is on the short list, not your shortlist Singer but on somebody's, now if i can just figure out who's?

I hear Rafa is on the short list, not your shortlist Singer but on somebody's, now if i can just figure out who's?

Jesus, i'd have preferred the inept Chelsea Midget Monkey to stay... :D

I think he wanted to tweak everything around, but he did it at the wrong time. Other managers like David Moyes have been on the brink of relegation, managed to stay up and then progressed from there.

Di Canio would be another crowd pleaser, and G&S would look good, but he has no experience it would be Zola all over again. Glen Hoddle's name has been touted a couple of times, but again not sure about his credentials.

I still think Curbs might be in the running, I hope it isn't Hughes but G&S love the guy. I just hope I do not hear Dowie being mentioned, that would be the end of West Ham in the Premiership.

I think he wanted to tweak everything around, but he did it at the wrong time. Other managers like David Moyes have been on the brink of relegation, managed to stay up and then progressed from there.

Di Canio would be another crowd pleaser, and G&S would look good, but he has no experience it would be Zola all over again. Glen Hoddle's name has been touted a couple of times, but again not sure about his credentials.

I still think Curbs might be in the running, I hope it isn't Hughes but G&S love the guy. I just hope I do not hear Dowie being mentioned, that would be the end of West Ham in the Premiership.

I'd personally be ok with Hughes, i've said it previously on teh Thread..

Remember i told you that Kevn Hitchcock was appointed as our GK Coach a few weeks back too so that's interesting, he's been with Hughes everywhere that Hughes has gone so...................

Not Curbs for me, i agree that PDC would be too much of a gamble for me too, same with Bilic possibly..

I wouldn't be too opposed to Grant though Mate to be honest, he's no mug that Fella..

Clarke has stayed on for teh time being too i notice..

I think Clark is a good thing to keep on to, maybe he looks like he has crawled out of the car, but I like the guy.

I think we will see soon who they will bring in, but maybe it will be a big surprise to all of us, and be someone

we never thought of, maybe a coach at the World Cup, you never know what the future holds for the Hammers

I think Clark is a good thing to keep on to, maybe he looks like he has crawled out of the car, but I like the guy.

I think we will see soon who they will bring in, but maybe it will be a big surprise to all of us, and be someone

we never thought of, maybe a coach at the World Cup, you never know what the future holds for the Hammers

youre right beano, who knows who will be next??

hughes , yes

, di canio, much as i love im , would be another zola,

curbs, been there done that,

pardew ????,

grant probly our best bet atm,

mcleish, no <deleted>#$%n thanks, despise him!!!,

bilic, lets not get sentimental, besides, he wears moody earings. and 1980s,suits, reckon hed look the part at leeds or barnsley, clobber wise,

woy ??, yes please.

and we aint getting schteeve mclaren heesh gone to wolfsh burg

hughes , yes

pardew ????,

bilic, lets not get sentimental, besides, he wears moody earings. and 1980s,suits, reckon hed look the part at leeds or barnsley, clobber wise,

woy ??, yes please.

I'd be over the moon with Alex Le Ginge you know.. :)

hughes , yes

pardew ????,

woy ??, yes please.

I'd be over the moon with Alex Le Ginge you know.. :)

trust me on this one my benghali chum, we dont want mcginge :D

trust me on this one my benghali chum, we dont want mcginge :D

I guess they have short memories....Ibrox anyone? :)

I wouldn't even wish him on your lot imola. :D

turned his back on hibs and went to "THEM", worse than ince

Lets throw another name into the bag

Manager of Grays - "The Terminator" Julian Dicks, at least experience in Managing a club, which Zola never had, a Hammer through and through, could work well with Clarky. Although his statistics at Grays are not great.

Lets throw another name into the bag

Manager of Grays - "The Terminator" Julian Dicks, at least experience in Managing a club, which Zola never had, a Hammer through and through, could work well with Clarky. Although his statistics at Grays are not great.

Are you on the Wacky Backy Beano ?? :)