Blocking the road to save parking spaces is illegal, says online lawyer

webfact

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

" And it can easily result in a fine of up to 10,000 baht. "  He must have a different definition for "easily" than most of us... especially if space is being saved for brother of mayor, police captain, etc in front of restaurant.

In Boston MA USA there are a couple areas South Boston/Dorchester that used to put out chairs/trash cans to hold parking spaces after a snowstorm. Mayor passed a law saying illegal and barriers would be removed. YEH--- after all the cars with smashed widows and scratches they decided not to inforce it and basicaally if you dug out a spot its yours.

From what I have seen they could have a new branch of police called the Unblockers. Funny a couple nights ago we had a accident outside the building and low and behold I finally saw 3 or 4 BIB working after dark. We passed by the accident and cautiously walked down the sidewalk blocked by about 20 motorbikes and another hotspot up the street with a like amount. We had lunch and returned an hour later. There was 1 BIB left smartly decked out in his uniform and of course all 20 motorbikes were still parked on the sidewalk no ticket no nothing. We were almost forced to walk on the road. What a lucrative form of income toss em all into a couple trucks and truck em off to the police station. The cabbies would benefit taking the owners to the police station and then there would be the ticket and the obvious 1 days storage fee. The bike owners would also come away with a lesson learned. 

Where I live sometimes there may be funeral taking place and outside the home of the deceased, the family and friends will close off the road or soi completely, sometimes up to 5 days and many times I have had to walk or ride my motorbike over someone else`s land to gain access to my own home if going out or arriving back again. This has been standard practice probably for decades where I live. This also happens during weddings and even when some local decides to hold a party, believing this gives them the right to close off a public right of way. This being Thailand no one would ever dare to complain as it`s really part of the way of life here and if I were to demand my right of way and quote the law, it would be me Vs the whole village and I have learned to live with it.

I have also seen when vendors selling off tables or stalls and even shops have declared the public areas around them as part of their own, which can be irritating, but again; in Thailand I just accept these things as the way they are.

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

In Boston MA USA there are a couple areas South Boston/Dorchester that used to put out chairs/trash cans to hold parking spaces after a snowstorm. Mayor passed a law saying illegal and barriers would be removed. YEH--- after all the cars with smashed widows and scratches they decided not to inforce it and basicaally if you dug out a spot its yours.

Someplace here in the United States, a law was passed making it illegal to park in a space, if you did not clear the snow away.

Seems there were too many fights between the people that cleared the space and the people who didn't and parked there anyway.  

Here on Samui at Maenam in Walking street there is an elderly Chinaman who has got a hardware type shop with a very large frontage, approx 40 mtrs. He puts tyres etc in front of his shop to stop anyone parking. When i moved the tyres and parked he went ballistic at me.   "You  are farang, you have no right" was his cry.

14 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Parked on a side street in Hua Hin last year....no markings, just a Tuk Tuk driver shelter about 10 metres away. came back and a Tuk Tuk is parked close to my front bumper. Reversed back and drove home.....Next morning, flat rear tyre......take to shop and he removed a 4 inch screwdriver blade minus the plastic handle. Obviously jammed under my rear wheel and forced me to reverse onto it.....what do you do.......A few days later went back and parked right next to the shelter, then happily sat in the car for an hour doing the Telegraph crossword while Mrs. AB went about her business.......It was worth it just to see the annoyance on Somchai's face......:biggrin:

Know the feeling.  Parked in a vacant spot on the main street in HH last year near the newspaper shop. Went & bought a newspaper. Only stopped for a couple of minutes, then drove off towards Cha-Am. After 5 - 10 minutes, the car started veering to the left. Stopped to check why..??? Front left tyre was flat. When i got it checked, the valve was broken right at the rim.

My only conclusion was that 1 of the a---hole taxi drivers near the newspaper shop didn't like someone taking 1 of their prized parking spots & has walked over and stepped on the valve to teach me a lesson...  

Typical mentality of these arrogant a holes. 

Cant argue with any of that. I've never visited a country anywhere where the people are more self-centred and inconsiderate on roads, and that seems to permeate through all aspects of life.

You forgot to add, selfish,deceitful,
hypocritical,bad tempered,and when
they get upset = very violent.
The Lawyer is spot on, the roads are
Public roads,for Legally driving or
Parking on; BUT as with Contracts,
Bank loans,Legal Documents, this
parking law is Totally ignored!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect