Korean woman charged over fatal collision, two Russians killed

webfact

Korean woman charged over fatal collision, two Russians killed

Yutthawat Lekmak

1481249181_1-org.jpg

Korean national Lee Hyemi, 38, has been charged for the fatal collision that killed two Russian men early Tuesday Morning (Dec 6). Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: -- Wichit Police have confirmed that Korean national Lee Hyemi, 38, has been charged for the fatal collision that killed two Russian men on Chao Fa West Rd in the early hours of Tuesday (Dec 6).

The two men killed in the accident were riding northbound on a motorbike near the King Power duty-free store when they collided head-on with a Toyota Vios driven by Ms Lee just before 3am.

“Ms Lee has been charged with reckless driving causing death,” Lt Khwansirinart Thairat of the Wichit Police confirm with The Phuket News yesterday (Dec 8).

“When police arrived at the scene, Ms Lee’s car was on the right-hand side of the road, but she was heading southbound,” Lt Khwansirinart said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/korean-woman-charged-over-fatal-collision-two-russians-killed-60156.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-12-09

I may be mistaken, however, I was of the understanding that in Thailand at any time a road traffic accident involves a fatality the surviving party is automatically charged with "reckless driving causing death" until circumstances and events can prove otherwise. 

So, it seems this may simply be the norm pending further investigation. 

It does seem as though the Korean Lady made the innocent but deadly mistake of forgetting which side of the road she needed to drive on....

The charges if they stick, seem fair enough... So many lives ruined with a simple lapse in concentration... A good lesson for us all. 

Edited by richard_smith237

31 minutes ago, impulse said:

One more data point.  The lady with 4 wheels survived.  The guys with 2 wheels didn't.

I know it takes longer at times to get places in my car, finding a parking spot is harder, but I love all that metal around me.  Especially here in Thailand.

5 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I know it takes longer at times to get places in my car, finding a parking spot is harder, but I love all that metal around me.  Especially here in Thailand.

I take scooter taxis all the time in BKK for the same reasons.  I'm not anti-scooter.   But I take them with a full understanding that the convenience and $$$ savings come with additional risk.  So those trips where there isn't any time savings, I hop in a 4 wheel taxi.  I only drive my own 4 wheeler when I'm leaving the city for an extended trip.

Edited by impulse

That bend is frequently "straight-lined both ways.  Some plastic dividers on the center line would help going south.

Going north towards Central, I sometimes straight line using the hard shoulder.  Need to keep your eye out for motorbikes coming the wrong way though.

Interesting that this article paints a completely opposite picture than the first article.

The first one suggested the motorbike was at fault, speeding and crashing into the car.

This article says the car was driving recklessly and lost control and went onto the right side of the road which I assume means the opposite direction.

The picture in the first article showed a car that seemed to have been on the left side of the road, facing the correct direction. Actually next to the road, not even on it. And the motorbike was stuck right in the front of the car. So either they lifted the car and motorbike to the side of the road to take that picture or the motorbike somehow got onto the wrong direction. They say the crash happened in front of the restaurant opposite Dibuk Hospital. That's on the left side of the road when going south.

Side node: the article says it was a Honda Click but the pictures show a Scoopy.

after reading the first report, i made the wrong assumption, (thinking local lady, going home or whatever,) and Russian tourists, on the motorbike on the wrong side of the road, now today we learn she is Korean, so the  outcome is totally different