Frontline vs Frontguard

Does anybody have any info on the flea and tick medicine Frontguard.  I was in the vets office the other day and she had Frontguard on display.  She said that it was the same as Frontline but it was produced in Thailand.  It's sold in individual applications in small bottles rather than pipets and is available for different weight dogs the same as Frontline.  All of the writing on the box is in Thai.  Lazada also carries it and it must be produced somewhere in the south of Thailand as they have awarning that delivery might be delayed due to the flooding in the south.  I have tried to find info on the net and there is absolutely nothing there - unusual!

Frontguard Plus ฟร้อนการ์ด พลัส สำหรับกำจัดหมัด และไข่หมัด สำหรับสุนัข น้ำหนัก 10-20 kg. จำนวน 5 กล่อง

The active ingredient in Frontguard plus is fipronil (10%). Frontline plus also contains fipronil (9.8%) which supposedly kills adult fleas and ticks.  Frontline Plus also has methoprene (8.8%) which supposedly attacks flea eggs and larvae.  I was just asking if anyone has had any experience using it as there is zero information on the internet which is very unusual.

24 minutes ago, wayned said:

The active ingredient in Frontguard plus is fipronil (10%). Frontline plus also contains fipronil (9.8%) which supposedly kills adult fleas and ticks.  Frontline Plus also has methoprene (8.8%) which supposedly attacks flea eggs and larvae.  I was just asking if anyone has had any experience using it as there is zero information on the internet which is very unusual.

I dunno I never used it - how much different is the price? 

Once a month frontline isn't all that expensive imo id stick to that. 

i use controline spot on,that contains fibronil which is the main ingrediant,for fleas and ticks.

this is the first and only spot on i have used,recomended by the vets hospital,started useing it in april this yr.and so far its very effective.

cost is 3months supply about 600bht.

Front line 275 baht/application

Front guard 92 baht/application

I now only have 8 dogs, all mutts.  I raised Golden Retrievers and used Frontline with little or no success., so I stopped using it.  Since all of the mutts are short hair I was considering trying it again and with one application/month, there is a difference of about 1500 baht/month.  Not a lot but if they do the same thing why spend the extra baht.  That's why I asked.

19 minutes ago, wayned said:

Front line 275 baht/application

Front guard 92 baht/application

I now only have 8 dogs, all mutts.  I raised Golden Retrievers and used Frontline with little or no success., so I stopped using it.  Since all of the mutts are short hair I was considering trying it again and with one application/month, there is a difference of about 1500 baht/month.  Not a lot but if they do the same thing why spend the extra baht.  That's why I asked.

as frontline and controline are imported that would be why they are so expensive compared to front guard.

as it to contains fibronil as long as you can find out who is manufactering it and what it contains there should be no reason why you should not try it.

My experience is that they all stop working after a few months and then its a case of changing from one product to another - which only works for a few days after each application.

The only way to control ticks is to use Frontline spray/Bayticol etc. on bedding and furnishings in additions to the ever changing 'back of the neck' product.

But for some obscure reason (relatively isolated area with no other animals around) I live in a tick infested area.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Update on Frontguard.  I used some on my 12 year old three legged mutt on the 9th.  Her left ear is a discount tick hotel and gets infested with them in two days.  Since I used it the ticks have disappeared so all's well so far and I have ordered and received more through Lazada,, 30% cheaper than locally available.  These bottles had an internal flyer in the box but still in Thai.  The active ingredients are fipronil (10%) and metheoprene (9%), the same as in Frontline.  The product is made by Shangdon Luxi Animal Medicine Co. in China and imported by Doctot Ya Pharma Co. in Bangkok.