Bangkok police have doubts over Australian woman's rape claim

rooster59

Bangkok police have doubts over Australian woman's rape claim

rape.PNG
Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- Police have now revealed they are as yet uncertain of an Australian woman's claims that she was raped by two tuk-tuk drivers last week.

Following a meeting of top brass and Taling Chan police met chief Sanit Mahathavorn said that he had ordered all CCTV footage along the route from Khao Sarn Road to the site of the alleged rape on waste ground behind a building in Boromratchachonanee Road to be thoroughly checked.

And he said that police were still waiting on rape test results and that they would not know for two weeks if the 21 year old woman's claims were correct.

Named only as "Yaya" she said earlier that she was very drunk and had been taken by one driver then met by another before being physically assaulted then raped by the two men.

Thai news sources reported Friday that rape had been confirmed but police now cast doubt on this.

Sanit said that 20 tuk-tuk had been identified as cross the bridge at Pin Klao around the relevant time but only five had gone in the further direction where the alleged crime took place. 

These five vehicles and their registered owners were being thoroughly investigated.

He order local police to step up their efforts to solve the crime quickly one way or another.

But charges of false reporting against the Australian tourist have not been ruled out.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-11

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

2 weeks to confirm if she had been raped or not,surely it should

not take that long,maybe hoping she will leave Thailand and it

will all be forgotten.

2 weeks worrying about whether I'll be arrested when the results come in, regardless of whether I was telling the truth or not?

I'd be on a plane today.  And looking for another place to live.  Or in her case, at least another place to holiday next year.

The wheels of justice...

21 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

Wow... shouldn't they do their investigative work before threatening to file a counter claim against her?

Keep the foreigners on a muzzle...

The Police didnt threaten her with a counter claim though . They seem to be saying that they will wait until the investigation is complete before they decide how to proceed 

30 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Police didnt threaten her with a counter claim though . They seem to be saying that they will wait until the investigation is complete before they decide how to proceed 

That may be true.  But it may also be a time tested ploy to make sure the good name of Thailand (and Thai tourism) isn't besmirched.

How many young people on holiday can just call their boss and ask for another 2 weeks off while they investigate whether her sex with some locals was consensual?  Or another few months for the trial and appeals?

Even before the veiled threat of arrest, pursuing charges would cost her months of her salary.  Not to mention the $$$ she'd have to spend staying in country.  Add in the uncertainty of arrest should the results come in favorable to Thai tourism (whadda ya figure those odds would be?), and he has pretty much assured this will go away with no black marks against Thai tourism.

Edit:  This is one of those rare cases where I'd be glad to kick a few bucks into a GoFundMe campaign to help her defray the costs of following through.  If she were my kid, I'd urge her to come home instead, though.  Nothing will undo the trauma. And sadly, the risk of personal harm and the costs of staying in country far outweigh any personal benefit from staying around to see it through.

Named only as "Yaya" she said earlier that she was very drunk

I'm not saying that it excuses the rape or that she deserved it or any of the usual PC responses, if it took place, but getting very drunk in a foreign country where the local mores are unknown is never a good idea.

It's like coming to Thailand without insurance, and riding a m'bike without a helmet ( without ever having ridden a m'bike before ) - not a good idea.

Perhaps young female tourists should forget what they "should be able to do" and start thinking about what might happen and take precautions.

Perhaps if she hadn't been "very drunk" this wouldn't have happened.

Is it too much to expect that tourists take precautions and behave more carefully?

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

That may be true.  But it may also be a time tested ploy to make sure the good name of Thailand (and Thai tourism) isn't besmirched.

How many young people on holiday can just call their boss and ask for another 2 weeks off while they investigate whether her sex with some locals was consensual?  Or another few months for the trial and appeals?

Even before the veiled threat of arrest, pursuing charges would cost her months of her salary.  Not to mention the $$$ she'd have to spend staying in country.  Add in the uncertainty of arrest should the results come in favorable to Thai tourism (whadda ya figure those odds would be?), and he has pretty much assured this will go away with no black marks against Thai tourism.

Does anyone that has been in LOS for more than a couple of weeks holiday expect anything different?

To my knowledge, every incident that could cause a problem for tourism is reduced by the media to the amount of $ it will cost the industry.

Instead of waiving visa fees (what's 30 million visitors X the visa fees?), perhaps they should take that money and fund compensation and assistance for victims.  Legal and medical.

Instead of appealing to tourists who want to save $30, they could increase the appeal to tourists who don't mind spending more, but do want to get home safely.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Named only as "Yaya" she said earlier that she was very drunk

I'm not saying that it excuses the rape or that she deserved it or any of the usual PC responses, if it took place, but getting very drunk in a foreign country where the local mores are unknown is never a good idea.

It's like coming to Thailand without insurance, and riding a m'bike without a helmet ( without ever having ridden a m'bike before ) - not a good idea.

Perhaps young female tourists should forget what they "should be able to do" and start thinking about what might happen and take precautions.

Perhaps if she hadn't been "very drunk" this wouldn't have happened.

Is it too much to expect that tourists take precautions and behave more carefully?

Maybe rapists should stop raping. That would be much better. 

P.S. This isn't being PC and neither is being against victim blaming. 

"...they would not know for two weeks..."

Two weeks for a DNA test to return. However, there are other signs of rape.   Tests to check for tears,  semen & STDs are available in a much shorter time.

But first they need to check in with TAT to see how they can cast suspicion on the victim, so there wouldn't be any loss in tourism. 

I think, given the delicate circumstances, the cops are doing their best and treating

this allegations with caution until proof are at hand, Thailand style.. (not similar

to Gangnam style )

so let's us all let the police do their job and we all learn the truth in due time.....

From todays story:

"And he said that police were still waiting on rape test results and that they would not know for two weeks if the 21 year old woman's claims were correct."

From Fridays story:

"The victim was confirmed as having been raped at Sirirat Hospital."

29 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I think, given the delicate circumstances, the cops are doing their best and treating

this allegations with caution until proof are at hand, Thailand style.. (not similar

to Gangnam style )

so let's us all let the police do their job and we all learn the truth in due time.....

The problem with that is the burden, both financial and psychological, that it places on the victim.  She's got to worry about paying for an extended stay, losing time off at work, and the possibility that she'll be the one who ends up in jail when it's all over with.

All to protect us and the Thai locals from rapists who will go free if she doesn't pay the price and take the risk.

5 minutes ago, Shot said:

Alot of bad news about victimized foreigners this week. Maybe some back peddling to try save some  face.

About time for an honest taxi driver to step forward to return a bag full  of lost money to a customer.

I really do not think that the Police will press any charges against her, if they decide that it was a false claim .

A journalist probably asked the Policemen whether they would press charges against her if they decide that it was a false claim .

He couldnt really say "No" , because ny law, he should do .

He didnt want to say "Yes" because he would then have to do it .

So he just said that "It hasnt been ruled out"

So as not to either state that either he will ignore the law or enforce it, he gave a non committal reply .

3 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I really do not think that the Police will press any charges against her, if they decide that it was a false claim .

You willing to bet your freedom for the next few years on that?  Wait.   Try some Thai prison food before you answer.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

You willing to bet your freedom for the next few years on that?  Wait.   Try some Thai prison food before you answer.

Could you post a bit more directly, say what you mean .

Im really not in the mood to try to figure out what you are trying to say

29 minutes ago, Shot said:

From todays story:

"And he said that police were still waiting on rape test results and that they would not know for two weeks if the 21 year old woman's claims were correct."

From Fridays story:

I think rape in this case has been proven.I guess DNA has been collected from the victim and the suspected

tuk tuk driver and those results will take some time.

1 hour ago, jaltsc said:

"...they would not know for two weeks..."

Two weeks for a DNA test to return. However, there are other signs of rape.   Tests to check for tears,  semen & STDs are available in a much shorter time.

But first they need to check in with TAT to see how they can cast suspicion on the victim, so there wouldn't be any loss in tourism. 

These guys must be slack DNA testing takes less than 24 hours on Koh Toa  :wink:

Archived