Where to Buy a Blood Pressure Monitor in Chiang Mai?

durian explorer

Anyone know where I can buy a blood pressure monitor in Chiang Mai?

I've been to Lotus Tesco and to drug stores but cannot find them.

I'm aware that I can buy it online at Lazada, but was hoping to find a brick and mortar place.  I'd like to get an inexpensive one and was thinking that a store would be likely to carry one that people would be fairly satisfied with. The selection on Lazada is daunting and there are few if any customer ratings to guide me.

Two reliable brands are Microlife and Omron and as long as you get the models that measure arm pressure (not wrist) any should be good.  Most larger drug stores will have at main counter but I have used Lazada for last two purchased.  

Why would a machine be more expensive if you have high blood pressure or take medication? Sounds like store was trying to sell more expensive units?  

I have also ordered an Omron (from a specialized med supply online shop) just to learn that even the pharmacy corner at our local Tesco had at least two similar models.

(not in CM)

Look again at major pharmacies.

Definitely get the upper arm model and take it with you to your doctor's office to make sure you're using it correctly and that it gives  a reading similar to what they're getting.

Frankly, I think those "stick your arm into hole" machines they have at some hospitals are pretty worthless.  I've had those machines clamp down when I wasn't properly positioned.  I'm glad my cardiologist always insists on doing his own readings with an old-fashioned mercury machine and a stethoscope.  If possible, check your home machine against a machine like that that with your doctor.

Also, I've found a consistent difference between my left and right arm.  Unfortunately, the right arm is always higher but it's more difficult to take the BP in that arm, even though the doctor says that where I should take the reading.

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Definitely get the upper arm model and take it with you to your doctor's office to make sure you're using it correctly and that it gives  a reading similar to what they're getting.

Frankly, I think those "stick your arm into hole" machines they have at some hospitals are pretty worthless.  I've had those machines clamp down when I wasn't properly positioned.  I'm glad my cardiologist always insists on doing his own readings with an old-fashioned mercury machine and a stethoscope.  If possible, check your home machine against a machine like that that with your doctor.

Also, I've found a consistent difference between my left and right arm.  Unfortunately, the right arm is always higher but it's more difficult to take the BP in that arm, even though the doctor says that where I should take the reading.

I took mine to a very popular dr's office because their unit (not an arm-into-hole) always read 20+ points higher on the systolic.

I used my model and then got the nurse to test it the old fashioned way.  That agreed exactly with my home model.  The office is still using the bp exaggerator machine.  And I, too, disregard the arm into hole machines completely. 

All Pharmas Choice Pharmies have them.I have the Citizen brand ,bought 8 mths ago,use every second day, still on original batteries and reads exactly the same as my Drs.

Got 14 years out of the previous one before it got tired.

3 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I also am not a fan of the Arm in Hole machines used by RAM.

Both arms give different readings and I understand this is normal.

john

Dont discount "white coat fever" at hospitals ,my BP goes through the roof. Get home 135/70 most days

Thanks, everyone.  I was wrong to assume that because it wasn't carried at 1 drug store (a Watson's), it wouldn't be at any.  I too was at Airport Plaza today,   at at a Watson's on the 1st floor, and bought an Omron upper arm unit, the one on the right of the attached photo. It was selling for 1,990 baht but for some reason they discounted it to 1,790.

The guy told me I'd have to buy the batteries separately. It did not come with an AC adapter.  I bought some batteries at 7-11, went home, unpacked the unit, and a set of 4 batteries fell out!  (They did not sell batteries there and he was very helpful so I know this was an innocent mistake).

20161212_122758.jpg

22 minutes ago, James HKT said:

I brought one over from Boots in the UK but can see they sell the same brand here in Boots. I've compared the readings with the units that Bangkok Hospital have and they are pretty similar both in measured heart rate and pressure.

The Boots model I bought in Thailand for about 2,000 Baht is manufactured by Omron.

Reliable and the batteries last for years.

12 hours ago, amexpat said:

"White coat" syndrome is especially common in LOS when they sit you down and take the readings five minutes after your several near-death experiences on the motorbike or tuk-tuk. 

The appearance of the nurse taking the reading can also take the blame for a slight increase in numbers,so I have been told:coffee1:

22 minutes ago, A. BOOZER said:

Lazada is your friend! (No connection, just an extremely satisfied customer.)

http://www.lazada.co.th/

ABSOLUTELY, by chance due this topic I bought a blood pressure monitor  2 days ago for my fil, in a pharmacy in Samui for 3,000฿, in the Lazada newsletter yesterday, the very same one 1.900฿ . IMG_1282.jpg

18 hours ago, Keith Bennett said:

Thanks, everyone.  I was wrong to assume that because it wasn't carried at 1 drug store (a Watson's), it wouldn't be at any.  I too was at Airport Plaza today,   at at a Watson's on the 1st floor, and bought an Omron upper arm unit, the one on the right of the attached photo. It was selling for 1,990 baht but for some reason they discounted it to 1,790.

The guy told me I'd have to buy the batteries separately. It did not come with an AC adapter.  I bought some batteries at 7-11, went home, unpacked the unit, and a set of 4 batteries fell out!  (They did not sell batteries there and he was very helpful so I know this was an innocent mistake).

20161212_122758.jpg

If you can, purchase a blood pressure monitor that can be plugged into the electricity. This reduces the chances of getting false readings when your batteries run out.

Avoid the wrist monitors - they provide unreliable readings

On 12/12/2016 at 10:32 AM, NancyL said:

Sorry, but what you are writing is WRONG.

Important is that your monitor is calibrated! Many of those in doctor's offices or hospitals are not!.

Also, there is no difference between ARM or WRIST monitors if it comes to accuracy of reading. But only few indeed of the ARM models are giving the right reading. There is one made by Panasonic and Omron, but also a well tested by BRAUN.

You don't need to go to your doc to compare the readings. And....the old MERCURY thing works....depending on the doc's ear and eyes. But even this one has to be calibrated. Look on the stamp at the bottom. Is it this century 5555?

On ebay you'll find good offers to buy. If you are in present need check PROMENADA pharmacies.

My favourite pharmacy listing is

1. Fascino

2. Pharma Choice

3. First Drug

The best shop I have found is Fascino, 269/5, Kaeo Nawarat Road, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, 50000 - 053 261 150. They have everything, including quite professional staff.

Watson, Boots & Co. in my opinion are useless unless you want to buy a lipstick for your wife.

On 12/12/2016 at 10:32 AM, NancyL said:

I wonder how many doctors use that old machine now. Or even know how to use one?

40 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I wonder how many doctors use that old machine now. Or even know how to use one?

My cardiologist at Bangkok Hospital -- recently retired from CMU -- insists on taking his own readings using the old fashioned mercury machine and a stethoscope.  Each time he wants to use the mercury machine, a nurse has to sign it out from a locked cabinet, stand by and return it to the locked a cabinet near the nurses station immediately. Something about it being full of hazardous waste and they don't want them broken, the doctor said.  He finds it amusing because these machine are treated pretty casually at the gov't hospitals.

37 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I have never had a doctor in Thailand use anything but mercury sphygmomanometer - even inpatient nursing staff often use.  But Thailand is not noted as the hub of ecological concerns. The battery operated units around upper arm generally provide good results and are medically accurate enough for hospital use and are easy for most people to use - but most important in my view is they allow use outside of hospital/doctor office setting so you can get a real reading of your normal blood pressure and doctors can act on that rather than the 'white coat' readings often found in there office.