Boris Johnson defiant in Saudi Arabia

webfact

Boris Johnson defiant in Saudi Arabia

Catherine Hardy

606x341_352090.jpg

RIYADH: -- Visting Riyadh, the UK’s foreign secretary has reiterated his country’s close ties to Saudi Arabia, days after making comments widely interpreted as critical of the conservative Gulf Arab country.

In a joint news conference with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al Jubeir, Boris Johnsonsaid: “I am here to emphasise the friendship that exists between the UK and Saudi Arabia.”

“It is something that is developing and expanding.”

“It is also fair to say that we believe in candour in our relationship. Now is the time for us to talk about the positive things that we are doing together.”

What did Boris say last week?

Footage appeared in the British media last Thursday of Johnson accusing Saudi Arabia and Iran of stoking proxy wars in the Middle East.

What has the UK government said?

Prime Minister Theresa May’s spokeswoman said Johnson’s remarks do not reflect actual policy.

Saudi Arabia is a long-term ally of the UK.

What has Saudi Arabia said?

Asked if Riyadh had been getting mixed messages from Britain, Jubeir replied “Absolutely not!”

He said Johnson’s comments had been misconstrued and the UK and Saudi Arabia had enjoyed a long, strategic relationship over the last 100 years.

Yemen

British military personnel have been involved with advising the Saudi-led coalition as it pursues a campaign against the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen’s civil war.

The war has killed more than 10,000 people, half of them civilians.

volved with advising the Saudi-led coalition as it pursues a campaign against the Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen’s civil war. The war has killed more than 10,000 people, half of them civilians, and unleashed a humanitarian crisis in the poorest country in the Middle East.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-12

“It is also fair to say that we believe in candour in our relationship. Now is the time for us to talk about the positive things that we are doing together.”

candour: open, frank, truthful, sincere... in this context: let's not talk about the negative things, they don't exist

Boris is right.  About time the world stands up to what Iran and Saudi Arabia are doing.

http://www.vox.com/2016/1/4/10708682/sunni-shia-iran-saudi-arabia-war

The cold war between Saudi Arabia and Iran that's tearing apart the Middle East, explained

The supposedly ancient Sunni-Shia divide is in fact very modern — and it's not really about religion.

Edited by craigt3365

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Yes let's get involved in Middle Eastern affairs again, it has worked out well so far

Iran and SA are at the heart of many of the big problems in the ME right now.  Read that article.

Sadly, these countries have oil, so few want to confront them.  Here's what they are doing in many countries around the world, Bosnia just being one example of many.

Spreading extremist views is not a good thing:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/is-saudi-funded-mosque-in-sarajevo-threat-to-bosnias-moderate-muslims/

I get the feeling that the media just took the bait on this one.

Boris is far to good a political operator to make an obvious mistake. Instead, I think that this was all cooked up by the Prime Minister and Boris together for several reasons:

1. Someone needed to say something about this Sunni-Shia proxy war that has been going on for years and Theresa May is motivated possibly for religious reasons (she is a vicar's daughter) and to save Britain having to intervene in the Middle East yet again

2. Theresa May also needed a reason to show that she is a bit of an "iron lady" by putting Boris in his place. It would also play well with the Remain group in her party and show the Brexit supporters among the Tories that she is no push-over.

3. Boris gets to polish his credentials as the rebel of a sort, who gets to say it the way it is. Remember, he still has his eye on the prize of being prime minister one day.

46 minutes ago, humqdpf said:

I get the feeling that the media just took the bait on this one.

Boris is far to good a political operator to make an obvious mistake. Instead, I think that this was all cooked up by the Prime Minister and Boris together for several reasons:

1. Someone needed to say something about this Sunni-Shia proxy war that has been going on for years and Theresa May is motivated possibly for religious reasons (she is a vicar's daughter) and to save Britain having to intervene in the Middle East yet again

2. Theresa May also needed a reason to show that she is a bit of an "iron lady" by putting Boris in his place. It would also play well with the Remain group in her party and show the Brexit supporters among the Tories that she is no push-over.

3. Boris gets to polish his credentials as the rebel of a sort, who gets to say it the way it is. Remember, he still has his eye on the prize of being prime minister one day.

You appear to have overlooked Occam's razor which basically states that the simplest explanation is usually going to be the correct one. In this case no need to look for some complex convoluted reason, Boris did the usual and put his foot in it. As it happens for once I tend to agree with him, it must be that pill I took this morning they told me it had side affects.

1 hour ago, Jonmarleesco said:

A pity Johnson hasn't stayed on track. Too many U.K. politicians back down in the face of criticism, Theresa May to name but one. But if there's money and trade involved, human rights and government-sanctioned atrocities take a back seat.

He will be working with Trump next month. And the world will be a better place.

Be hard on Terrorist countries.  Stop the people coming from Syria. Lock them all up in camps, and leave them there until the Russians and The Syrian government kill off all the rebels and the people supporting them. Then move them back to rebuild there desert dirt country again.

5 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Maybe things happened before i was born,or maybe the happened,and i am not aware of it,but can someone please enlighten me as to why The UK and SA have such a staunch friendship.What did they do for us that is worthy of such praise.Yes! i know about the oil,thank you.

They are a constant reminder that women deserve to be treated fairly and that one must work for their daily bread and not have some high potentate spread oil profits among thousands of lazy hanger ons. They also show us that one wife is plenty. Having a harem must be tough job but in their case someone has to do it.  

Edited by elgordo38

2 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Maybe things happened before i was born,or maybe the happened,and i am not aware of it,but can someone please enlighten me as to why The UK and SA have such a staunch friendship.What did they do for us that is worthy of such praise.Yes! i know about the oil,thank you.

Weapons sales and always following whatever the US does.

When Blair was PM, BAE sold a multi-billion dollar weapons sale to Saudi. There were strong allegations of kickbacks to the Saudi hisos. Blair killed any investigation when the Saudis told him he'd better drop it or no new purchases from the UK.

2 minutes ago, khunken said:

Weapons sales and always following whatever the US does.

When Blair was PM, BAE sold a multi-billion dollar weapons sale to Saudi. There were strong allegations of kickbacks to the Saudi hisos. Blair killed any investigation when the Saudis told him he'd better drop it or no new purchases from the UK.

What has this article got to do with the US?  Jeez...

7 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

What has this article got to do with the US?  Jeez...

Can't you read - a poster asked a question & I answered it? Nothing to do with the US but everything to do with the UK blindly following the US.

1 hour ago, khunken said:

Can't you read - a poster asked a question & I answered it? Nothing to do with the US but everything to do with the UK blindly following the US.

I think there are many in the UK would might argue with your comment they "blindly" follow the US. LOL

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

I think there are many in the UK would might argue with your comment they "blindly" follow the US. LOL

Well any that follow affairs in the Middle East & surrounds would know that they did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya & Syria. The ones that don't believe propagandists, that is.

42 minutes ago, khunken said:

Well any that follow affairs in the Middle East & surrounds would know that they did in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya & Syria. The ones that don't believe propagandists, that is.

Who was in Afghanistan first?  The other countries also?  They've been a mess for a long time! LOL

The current mess is being instigated primarily by Saudi Arabia and Iran.  Not propaganda, and not anti-US.

17 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Who was in Afghanistan first?  The other countries also?  They've been a mess for a long time! LOL

The current mess is being instigated primarily by Saudi Arabia and Iran.  Not propaganda, and not anti-US.

Off topic nonsense. Read the Op.

I not going to follow your attempted deflection.

The Chilcot report is the pertinent background here. Britain is moving to fix past sins. I applaud the what the Brits have done reflectively. Bliar is a figure to be pilloried and rightly so. His leadership in the ME was a criminal act. Anyhow the Chilcot report restores something into UK foreign politics. 

Watch the video in the guardian link. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jul/06/iraq-inquiry-key-points-from-the-chilcot-report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Inquiry

I agree that these problems are Saudi ~ Iran in locus. Just no way to help them. Burn the oil and be done. 

11 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Boris is right.  About time the world stands up to what Iran and Saudi Arabia are doing.

Yes, so Saudi Arabia and Iran are fighting their proxy wars in the Middle East. I reckon Britain should stop backing Saudi Arabia (selling them lots of arms). I reckon Britain should simply pull out and let them "Middle East types" do their fighting. Do you feel the same way ?

13 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

But still goes ahead and does deals to sell weapons to SA.Typical pollie talking out of both sides of his mouth,sometimes at the same time.Pathetic.

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

You're forgetting that Saudi Arabia imports a vast amount of weapons from America and Britain. And also, Saudi Arabia is a close ally of America and Britain. If you're going to criticise Saudi Arabia, well, surely, you're going to have to criticise Washington and the British government as well.
And no, I don't believe that Washington is sometimes forcing itself to tolerate Saudi Arabia's actions. I'm suspicious that Washington dictates to Saudi Arabia.

It will be  a great day  indeed  when  Saudi Arabia  sucks up all  the easy  oil  and  has to lose  its  great  standing in the world  that It enjoys today.    Not  In  my  life time  of   course,  but maybe  this will happen in less than 100  years.

Geezer

8 hours ago, louse1953 said:

But still goes ahead and does deals to sell weapons to SA.Typical pollie talking out of both sides of his mouth,sometimes at the same time.Pathetic.

Actually, the arms sales is currently under review.  Many countries sell weapons to SA.  The UK, Germany, France, Russia.  US is the top supplier.

http://www.salon.com/2016/09/20/congressman-seeks-to-block-arms-sale-to-saudi-arabia-citing-u-s-backed-war-crimes-in-yemen/

Worth a read.  It's a complicated relationship.  No easy answers.  It's all about oil.  For the entire world.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/20/opinions/us-saudi-bad-marriage-opinion-miller/

And soon, this might not matter as SA is ramping up it's internal manufacture of weapons:

http://fortune.com/2016/04/25/saudi-arabia-military-purchases/

10 hours ago, tonbridgebrit said:

Yes, so Saudi Arabia and Iran are fighting their proxy wars in the Middle East. I reckon Britain should stop backing Saudi Arabia (selling them lots of arms). I reckon Britain should simply pull out and let them "Middle East types" do their fighting. Do you feel the same way ?

Yes, Britain, US, Germany, France, Russia, China, etc, etc, etc, should all stop selling weapons.  I'm 100% in favor of that.  Just posted a link where they US is trying to stop.  But it's not easy, as you know, it's all about global oil.  And money. 

Guaranteed Washington doesn't dictate to SA.  And as you know, the relationship is in the toilet due to this.  Rightfully so:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jul/19/911-report-details-saudi-arabia-funding-of-muslim-/

Saudi government funded extremism in U.S. mosques and charities: report

May rushes back from the Gulf after giving a speech that went down very well with the Saudis et al to give another speech to the Conservative Friends of Israel which lambasted anti-semitic views.

Had the speeches been given to the 'wrong' conference, how would they have been received?