Do i need a visa?

Depends on your nationality.

If you qualify for entry under the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme, or Billateral Agreement, you'll won't need a visa for your trip. But some airlines do not let you board if you don't have a visa and don't have an onward flight dated within 30 days of arrival. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/services.pdf

I will be traveling to Thailand ...

Depends mainly on your nationality. Many nationalities are allowed a 30 day visa exempt entry when flying in and either a 30 day or 15 day entry when arriving via a land border crossing.

If you are traveling to Thailand by air without a visa, your airline may refuse boarding unless you have evidence of an onward or return flight booked. It's to protect themselves since they don't want to get stuck with flying you out if you're refused entry to Thailand.

If you are able to get the 30 day stamp ( depends on your country ) make sure you have proof of onward travel.

I flew from Malta via Dubai on Emirates, and they would not let me fly without proof of onward travel. I had to purchase a new air ticket at the Emirates office so I could make my flight.

If you are staying longer though, just get a visa to be safe. Although you will still need proof of onward travel for that.

3 minutes ago, lee b said:

If you are able to get the 30 day stamp ( depends on your country ) make sure you have proof of onward travel.

I flew from Malta via Dubai on Emirates, and they would not let me fly without proof of onward travel. I had to purchase a new air ticket at the Emirates office so I could make my flight.

If you are staying longer though, just get a visa to be safe. Although you will still need proof of onward travel for that.

That depends on which Embassy or Consulate, and definitely not for the airline.

21 minutes ago, wigan said:

Just to clarify things if he's a national from a visa exempt country, when he returns to Thaialand will he be entitled to a new 30 day visa exemption???

Yes

But it would only only be15 days at a border crossing unless from a G7 country.