Thai Nationality for an old lady.

About 86 years ago the mother of a friend of mine was born in Thailand. Her birth certificate had 'mistakes' such as date of birth and even the last name. Allegedly the last name of her stepfather was used. Perhaps it has never been done properly. I don't have details on this. At the age of 18 she went to Dutch New Guinea. This was related to the Japanese occupation of Thailand and the many Dutch-Indies people who were in Thailand as POWs. She obtained the Dutch nationality as she married a Dutch national in Dutch New Guinea. She never claimed Thai nationality as at that time, things were really different. In 1962 she and her husband moved to The Netherlands which is still their residence. A couple of times a year she and her husband stay in Thailand for holiday. At this moment 2 of her sisters are still alive and living in Thailand. Both are holding the Thai nationality. My friend's mother is currently interested in obtaining Thai nationality if possible. Is there any possibility for my friend's mother to obtain the Thai Nationality after so many years?   

Thank you very much in advance.

Edited by aidenai

If either of her parents were Thai she already has Thai nationality. She needs to get it established by getting registered in house book and a ID card at an Amphoe. Then you she could get a Thai passport.

Since she has family living here she could be registered in one of their house books.

• Like 2

A birth certificate should be enough to prove the thai citizenship. 86 years ago jus soli (citizenship through born on the territory of a state) was valid in Thailand. The thais changed it in the seventies.

Edited by mgb
  • Like 1

Thanks ubonjoe and mgb. I just heard that my friend's mother doesn't hold a Thai birth certificate. It wasn't issued 86 years ago. Apologise for the mis-information. Tomorrow I will get more information as to how it was noted that she was born in Thailand and were such was registered. Thanks for your help so far.

There is a system for issuing citizenship numbers to people who have not been previously registered.

As long as she has enough people who will state she is who she is, there is a chance.

The first port of call is the District Office. They will know exactly what needs to be done.

• Like 1

If her birth was originally registered (whether or not a birth certificate exists) there is a good chance she is still in a house book somewhere. If you are dealing with the district office where she lived in the past, the process may be very easy or nearly impossible. Nearly impossible may just mean offering a few baht to grease the wheels. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 2:11 AM, BritTim said:

If her birth was originally registered (whether or not a birth certificate exists) there is a good chance she is still in a house book somewhere. If you are dealing with the district office where she lived in the past, the process may be very easy or nearly impossible. Nearly impossible may just mean offering a few baht to grease the wheels. Good luck!

As far as I know, the system of house registration books only started in the early 50s when they did the first census.  I could be wrong on this. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2016 at 4:20 PM, aidenai said:

Is this indeed a way and legally accepted to proof Thai citizenship? 

Thanks.

I had to prove by DNA I was related to my mother to establish citizenship.  Quite an interesting process.

• Like 1