VFS photo copies

The other day I went with my Thai wife to submit my new sons UK passport, my wife offered my sons Thai passport, which was not necessary (VFS would know that) which was accepted and needed photocopying, all pages costing 800THB, bearing in mind it was less then two weeks old and all pages were blank. This to me was disgraceful. Be careful with VFS.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinchaffers said:

This was not a necessary document, therefore anything more than the bio page was excessive

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

That is not correct.

Regrettably, the error was yours - although I would agree that the charge is grossly excessive - effectively a 'penalty charge'.

The message is clear - read and comply with the instructions, or suffer the financial consequences.

These guidelines clearly show that ALL pages of non-British passports must be photocopied.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

Edited by Jip99

11 hours ago, Jip99 said:

That is not correct.

Regrettably, the error was yours - although I would agree that the charge is grossly excessive - effectively a 'penalty charge'.

The message is clear - read and comply with the instructions, or suffer the financial consequences.

These guidelines clearly show that ALL pages of non-British passports must be photocopied.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/564956/OS_Guidance_G2_10.16.pdf

The link is for applying for a UK passport.

The OP is applying for a travel visa to the UK for his wife. His son already has a UK passport.

23 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

The link is for applying for a UK passport.

The OP is applying for a travel visa to the UK for his wife. His son already has a UK passport.

That is not how I read post #1 - I interpreted it as a passport application.

I can see mention of a UK visa application (although I accept that the word 'application' should appear after passport for my assumption to be correct).

Have I missed something elsewhere about a visa application?

If it was a visa application the original Thai passport would need to be submitted. If the boy had a passport there would be no need for a visa application.

I was applying for my sons uk passport, and my wife offered my sons Thai passport in support of the uk passport application and which was not necessary which we had not copied and therefore were charged 800THB.

The point of the post was to make people aware of the charges and not offer unnecessary documents

10 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

The clue is in the title "VFS".

They do not process new passports, only visa applications.

Not like you to make inaccurate assertions without checking your facts 12D.

Of course VfS process UK passport applications.

PS - you still owe me that box of Chang for Quintilian (or whatever it was) :smile:

8 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

I was applying for my sons uk passport, and my wife offered my sons Thai passport in support of the uk passport application and which was not necessary which we had not copied and therefore were charged 800THB.

The point of the post was to make people aware of the charges and not offer unnecessary documents

It was indeed a good point about the cost of copying.

However, you ere not correct about the document not being required - ALL other passports must be colour copied and submitted with the application.

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

Not like you to make inaccurate assertions without checking your facts 12D.

Of course VfS process UK passport applications.

PS - you still owe me that box of Chang for Quintilian (or whatever it was) :smile:

Sorry, my bad.

Did not realise that VFS now do passport applications. The UK government keep changing the goalposts. 

Actually I did check on the VFS site. They do not mention passport applications as part of their services.

http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/vfsglobalintroduction.html

You have a long memory, I have stopped drinking Chang for a long time. I found those elephants were erasing my memory. 

(I was also in error at thinking VFS was an Indian company. It is a wholly owned subsiduary of Kuoni, Zuerich)

• Like 1

It was indeed a good point about the cost of copying.

However, you ere not correct about the document not being required - ALL other passports must be colour copied and submitted with the application.

We supplied all necessary documents, original and photo copied in colour, the Thai passport was the unnecessary document.

We supplied all necessary documents, original and photo copied in colour, the Thai passport was the unnecessary document.

When I applied for my 1 year old son's UK passport, colour copies of every page of his mother's Lao passport were supplied. I thought this was mandatory?

14 minutes ago, colinchaffers said:

Yes both parents passports are mandatory, this was my sons Thai passport, which is not

Interesting one.

Because you made VfS aware of the existence of a Thai passport for the boy they assumed that colour copies were required in accordance with this:-

Unca             Uncancelled non-British passports:
Please send us a colour photocopy of your non-British passport (every page including blank pages). We retain the right to ask for the original passport. We will let you know by email or post if we need you to send it to us.

The interesting part is the fact that YOU were applying on behalf of a minor, so most of the information is directed towards you.

I still think that given the existence of another passport they were not wrong.

The fact remains that if we did not make them aware of my sons passport it would not have had any impact on the application, as you say they they are interested in my and my wife's status, my son is covered by his birth certificate, in fact they told me he did not need to be present.

This post was aimed at highlighting the cost of colour copying so others can be warned and prepared. (25p per copy)

1 hour ago, colinchaffers said:

The fact remains that if we did not make them aware of my sons passport it would not have had any impact on the application, as you say they they are interested in my and my wife's status, my son is covered by his birth certificate, in fact they told me he did not need to be present.

This post was aimed at highlighting the cost of colour copying so others can be warned and prepared. (25p per copy)

It was also useful in highlighting the fact that you shouldn't offer anything that they are not aware of  (including the bio page - supply that and you will be compelled to submit full copies). Many Thai children, fathered by Falangs, may well not have a Thai passport at the time of applying for a British passport - and the British authorities will not check.

• Like 1