2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

webfact

BREAKING NEWS

2 Thai men killed after being hit by car driven by an Englishman

Thai-men-killed-Samui.jpg

SAMUI: -- 2 Thai men riding their motorbike were killed after being struck by a Ford Everest car last night in Maenam, Koh Samui, at around 2100hrs.

Both men, along with their motorbike, were trapped under the front of the vehicle after being hit by the car on Samui’s main ring road near the soi leading down to W resort, and were dragged some distance before the vehicle finally stopped on the main road, close to the entrance of soi 1, Maenam.

Samui Rescue and police quickly responded to the incident, however, both men were pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver of the Ford Everest has been named as Mr. Nicholas Edwards, 41 years old, a Liverpudlian who has lived on Koh Samui for the past 4 years. Mr. Edwards was arrested by Maenam police at the scene, and was quickly taken to Maenam police station as a crowd of some 20 plus people – which included family members of both of the dead Thai men – started to become angry and began shouting at Mr. Edwards.

Thai-men-killed-samui-1-300x225.jpg

After initial reports were made at Maenam police station, Mr. Edwards was then taken to Nathon police station for further questioning before being taken to the government hospital in Nathon for a blood test for alcohol and drugs.

Mr. Edwards admitted to police that he had been drinking beer and wine since approximately 4 pm that afternoon at the ‘W Resort’ in Maenam, and had then left around 9pm to drive back to his home in Maenam.

He told police that he knew he had hit ‘something’, but had no idea that it was a motorbike until he eventually stopped close to soi 1 and got out of his car to find out what he had hit.

Mr. Edwards is currently under arrest at Nathon police station.

Source: http://www.samuitimes.com/breaking-news-2-thai-men-killed-after-being-hit-by-car-driven-by-an-englishman/

samuitimes_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Samui Times 2016-12-14

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as i support the authorities bringing drink drivers to task, I only wish the courts had a standard to be applied across the board. 

Jenphop is in court now (lenient / negliible punishment expected). Chiang mai lady who killed 3 cyclists got a complete pass, and the redbull @$$#ole is unarrestable for the next 12 years.

I don't see why some should walk and others get hammered in court and the justice system is allowed to have any credibility above say, a kangaroo court

5 minutes ago, z42 said:

As much as i support the authorities bringing drink drivers to task, I only wish the courts had a standard to be applied across the board. 

Jenphop is in court now (lenient / negliible punishment expected). Chiang mai lady who killed 3 cyclists got a complete pass, and the redbull @$$#ole is unarrestable for the next 12 years.

I don't see why some should walk and others get hammered in court and the justice system is allowed to have any credibility above say, a kangaroo court

this is the point well made - rich thais get away with everything and this guy will be hung out to dry. i NEVER drink and drive and anyone who does and hurts someone should expect justice and it should be for ALL  (but that will never happen here)

6 minutes ago, z42 said:

Not forgetting that little charmer who pushed a mini-van of an overpass and killed 9 people. 

She was given 3 months "work" in a hospital at a timing of her convenience.

This tit's FB page is plastered with pictures of fast cars and booze - even one full of irony joking about drink-driving - blowing into a breathalyser of all things. I hope he never sees the light of day. Typical OTT with booze Brit. Perhaps he might wish the villagers and relatives had got to him after a few years in a grimy cell. 

Should of done a runner Thai style.i think he must of been well pissed after 5 hours on the juice.i think I hit something,it wasn't a frog or rat matey,it was two people and a scooter,there's a lot of difference.say goodbye to at least 2m baht,your car,house and Thailand.they will hang you high and you'll be lucky if you don't end up behind bars for a little r and r.

It amazes me how people will go to a foreign country and act like complete idiots even after 4 years living here.  I rarely drink but when I have a few I take some form of 'other' transport home.  This man will probably loose EVERYTHING, and spend time in prison - a place I would NOT send my worse enemy.

On the other hand all know how crazy motor bike drivers drive here - drivers from ALL countries!!! - the roads are personal space to them.  I know everyone here who drives has had more than one close call, but daily life proceeds as usual until ALL traffic regulations are followed by the majority.

It sucks but the story is entirely one sided. 

I just want to know HOW he hit the motorbike. Did it pull out in front of him? Driving the wrong way with head lights off? I mean in the picture FRONT of the motorbike is up under the front of the truck.

He will be strung up by the nuts for drinking and killing 2 thais as a foreigner, unless he can pay off the families, and they are surely gonna look at his foreigner self and that new white truck before coming up with a number. He won't do much jail time, as it does not 'benefit' the families for him to rot in prison and pay them nothing. Ill bet he's shittin bricks right now. 

He should not have been drinking thats for sure, as another poster said, seems to be a bit of a tit as well, but dang, that crowd was looking to lynch the sucker. 

As another poster said as well, this kinda thing is what worries me about driving here. Idiots galore and lynch mobs ready to string you up because "This is Tai-lan" 

Some people say "As a forgnier you are always wrong" and thats not necessarily true, but as a Foreigner you are MORE WRONG than a Thai. 

Would be interesting to see if the bike had lights, indicators, mirrors and whether the guys had helmets atleast. I worry for farang. Could be one sided unless someone can seriously check these other things out.

Drinking and driving is stupid but what about the other guys also. 

All to many times people jump in front of me intoxicated and no helmets and all it takes is a split second. Luckily i dont drink anymore but have had a no licensed underage girl just idiodically drive in front of me. She survived but it was absolutely no fault of mine but i was the bad guy. Luckily one citizen told the truth. 

Stupid guy for drink driving here though. Needs to be more advertising but i guess that costs money. Needs to be adds/billboards aimed at tourists to warn them that they will never be treated fairly so drinking and driving is a no no.

34 minutes ago, Strange said:

It sucks but the story is entirely one sided. 

I just want to know HOW he hit the motorbike. Did it pull out in front of him? Driving the wrong way with head lights off? I mean in the picture FRONT of the motorbike is up under the front of the truck.

He will be strung up by the nuts for drinking and killing 2 thais as a foreigner, unless he can pay off the families, and they are surely gonna look at his foreigner self and that new white truck before coming up with a number. He won't do much jail time, as it does not 'benefit' the families for him to rot in prison and pay them nothing. Ill bet he's shittin bricks right now. 

He should not have been drinking thats for sure, as another poster said, seems to be a bit of a tit as well, but dang, that crowd was looking to lynch the sucker. 

As another poster said as well, this kinda thing is what worries me about driving here. Idiots galore and lynch mobs ready to string you up because "This is Tai-lan" 

Some people say "As a forgnier you are always wrong" and thats not necessarily true, but as a Foreigner you are MORE WRONG than a Thai. 

Even if he pays the family, and only does a little time, he would be best to get out of Samui pretty quick. Or spend his days looking over his shoulder. Compensation may not be enough to satisfy some people.

1 minute ago, phetphet said:

Even if he pays the family, and only does a little time, he would be best to get out of Samui pretty quick. Or spend his days looking over his shoulder. Compensation may not be enough to satisfy some people.

He would be best to get out of Thailand completely, if he isn't blacklisted from the country first. 

Stuff like this is serious business. As soon as I got passport in hand id get the hell out. Plenty of other 'cheap' places to live. 

We can not judge we do not have the facts yet or even the blood alcohol level

The man does however look a bit guilty to say the least

The odds are not in his favor

But this is the reason I always have my car camera running, we do not know what the cyclists did, or even if they had rear lights working

Drinking and driving is unacceptable, these days when out and drinking my wife drives home she has one glass of wine and thats it

In years gone by that could have been me, and many others, lets not forget that

Whatever God Bless the man, he is not going to have a Happy Christmas

for people to "judge" these incidents is just commonplace in these forums - they base their interpretation of the events upon police media releases and treat them as fact (risible)

There are plenty of members who if thie nationalities were switched to Thai driver English victim would have said that this was a clear indication of "Thai stupidity". So what is their take on this event?

Just now, al007 said:

We can not judge we do not have the facts yet or even the blood alcohol level

The man does however look a bit guilty to say the least

The odds are not in his favor

But this is the reason I always have my car camera running, we do not know what the cyclists did, or even if they had rear lights working

Drinking and driving is unacceptable, these days when out and drinking my wife drives home she has one glass of wine and thats it

In years gone by that could have been me, and many others, lets not forget that

Whatever God Bless the man, he is not going to have a Happy Christmas

He admitted to drinking from 4pm until 9pm - what more do you need to know?

He should probably become a monk for a couple months, everything would be forgotten then just as it is with every other idiot on the roads that kills or badly injures someone.

Anyone drinking and driving should be treated the same way and certainly not leniently in any way but wether foreigner or Thai, we all are responsible for our own actions.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

One of my biggest fears of driving here....hitting a motor bike and being in the wrong....

No doubt your future full of bars would flash before your eyes. He was definitely in the wrong but looking how fast he was arrested jailed and tested was mind boggling when compared to other accident cases here that are still dancing around the maypole. Your a man without a country under these circumstances. 

Archived