Government Sues Villagers for Deforestation when it forgets the big copanies

geovalin

A decision by the government to proceed with a court case against a group of people accused of cutting down trees on government-owned land has angered lands rights activists and environmentalists.  The case was filed by the forestry department in Preah Sihanouk province against a group of local residents.

Local residents and activists have called the case a miscarriage of justice and accused the government of double standards for prosecuting those accused of forestry crimes. Ordinary citizens, they said, were being punished for cutting down a few trees, while large corporations cleared forests with impunity. 

Sam Sophat, a representative of 68 families in Prey Nob district’s Samrong commune, said he has asked for a delay in the December 19 hearing in the provincial court because he does not have a lawyer.  Mr. Sophat said he submitted a letter requesting the delay, but the court has yet to respond.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/33180/government-sues-villagers-for-deforestation/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 15/12

Charge them all! They need to come down hard on the officials in the area aswell because they are usually part to blame. Its illegal, its law. ENFORCE IT!

Thais dont know or understand the damage they cause. I have first hand experience. I live backed on to 200rai of government land. The villege headman is a corrupt peice of @#$_. The people have destroyed the land so much so the ground is so salty that not much can grow which has spread into my property wherebi have several hundred fruit trees., it flashfloods when it rains and resmbles a desert. Theres nothingbto hold the dirt anymore so everything just washes away.

Its one planet people!

Im not a greenie but see the carnage from these people and theres always an excuse.

Charge them and set an example. They might learn something.

Common problem. Seems a lot of pople in seasia are none the wiser to the damage they cause.

8 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Charge them all! They need to come down hard on the officials in the area aswell because they are usually part to blame. Its illegal, its law. ENFORCE IT!

Thais dont know or understand the damage they cause. I have first hand experience. I live backed on to 200rai of government land. The villege headman is a corrupt peice of @#$_. The people have destroyed the land so much so the ground is so salty that not much can grow which has spread into my property wherebi have several hundred fruit trees., it flashfloods when it rains and resmbles a desert. Theres nothingbto hold the dirt anymore so everything just washes away.

Its one planet people!

Im not a greenie but see the carnage from these people and theres always an excuse.

Charge them and set an example. They might learn something.

Common problem. Seems a lot of pople in seasia are none the wiser to the damage they cause.

Before you go off on your hang them high rant it is always best to use your eyes than mouth. I know its a good chance to bash Thais but in this case it is wrong, as with most cases. Read the article properly. It is in Cambodia. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

53 minutes ago, callaway said:

Before you go off on your hang them high rant it is always best to use your eyes than mouth. I know its a good chance to bash Thais but in this case it is wrong, as with most cases. Read the article properly. It is in Cambodia. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

Preah Sihanouk is in Cambodia and not Thailand. This article has nothing to do with Thailand.

5 hours ago, callaway said:

Fools rush in indeed. I said south east asia and gave an example here. So who made you the boss of what i can say here or others for that matter. Whos thai bashing? It is what it is. I am not going to sugar coat anything. Read in to things as you wish and get up on your high horse and make judgments yourself. Not sure if your talking to me or yourself. Best stop making assumptions. Your just trolling.