Reincarnation

bangkokrick

From 2003.. Official government statistics released for the April 11-16 period showed that 569 people had died and 39,151 people had been injured on Thailand's roads, compared to 567 deaths and 38,098 injuries in 2002, and well above the government's earlier target of only 480 fatalities.

It's incredible, something I never even knew about. The fact that the government had a target of 480 fatlities speak volumes about this problem.

Honestly, and you can all flame me, I would say that you could blame some of the Thai attitude on religion, but it is easy to excuse individual behaviour on religion. look deeper into it, I would have to say that it is a lack of education and standards that is killing Thai people.

I'm not trying to change the way things are done, health and safety issues have gone way too far in the UK until it has become suffocating and I'm not advocating western standards, but some standards or values are better than none.

Edited by Robski

I think reincarnation doesn't quite enter into it. They just don't give a care.

They don't assign value to life, in the same way we do.

That's just not true and that's an insult to the Thai people. Live in Thailand longer and you might be more understanding of their ways.

In the sense that Thais do not care that much about reincarnation, I believe the OP is correct.

Relative to Thai culture not assigning the same value to life in the same manner as western culture, again I think the OP has a valid point.

And I daresay I lived in Thailand for a sufficient number of years and perhaps suggest that it is those who do not see the differences who need to further expand their experiences in the Kingdom.

From 2003.. Official government statistics released for the April 11-16 period showed that 569 people had died and 39,151 people had been injured on Thailand's roads, compared to 567 deaths and 38,098 injuries in 2002, and well above the government's earlier target of only 480 fatalities.

It's incredible, something I never even knew about. The fact that the government had a target of 480 fatlities speak volumes about this problem.

Honestly, and you can all flame me, I would say that you could blame some of the Thai attitude on religion, but it is easy to excuse individual behaviour on religion. look deeper into it, I would have to say that it is a lack of education and standards that is killing Thai people.

I'm not trying to change the way things are done, health and safety issues have gone way too far in the UK until it has become suffocating and I'm not advocating western standards, but some standards or values are better than none.

The figures are staggering Robski. I really do believe that this is to do with Thai beliefs as well as their culture. Were this to happen in the UK for example i am sure that the festival would be more controlled with a view to reducing the number of casualties. I love to be involved in the Thai new Year celebrations, but when you see the aftermath it really does take the edge of it.

The strange thing is that when i discuss this with my wife and her friends there is just a feeling of acceptance. Mai pen rai.