conversion of retirement visa into a married visa.

I have since  several years a  retirement visa, due to a  temporary shortage of funds I  like to  change my Retirement visa into a married visa,

I have a Non Immigrant 'O' visa  issued in Germany in 2014, which I converted in Thailand into a  retirement visa. ( after  a initial stay of 3 months) I always do my 90 days  report the next one is due in Jan 3 2017

I am married to  aThai lady  since  21 years and have  2 children with her.

what are the requirements to apply im March 2017 ( due date ) for a married visa.

I have a income letter  ( issued a few days ago) from the  German embassy  (honorary consular)

My monthly pension income from Germany is below  30 000 Baht

I have 100  000 Baht in a savings account I my name  in Thailand

do I have  to deposit 400 000 baht 2 monts prior  to the  application of a marriage  visa?/

Is it possible to combine the  income letter and a bank deposit of 400 000Baht.

How do I proceed?

You have been applying for extensions of stay based upon retirement not a visa. 

You can change the reason for your extension from retirement to one based upon marriage. You will just apply for a the extension based upon marriage  instead of retirement.

You must have 40k baht income or 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months on the date you apply. There is no combination option for an extension based upon marriage.

I thought you also needed photos with your wife and family inside and outside the house, showing the house number, copy of marriage certificate, and you have to go with your wife to Immigration so she can sign some forms. At least, that's what they required a few years ago, before I changed to a Retirement extension.

I did it the beginning of the year in Rayong immigration, it's very stressful. I had more than 1 million baht in my account and the boss kept trying to get me to renew my retirement visa as it's easier for them and for me. I wanted to get this done in case they made the rules harder in the future, I've put nearly 400K pounds into the Thai economy and want to be sure about everything as I've committed myself to living here, my wife is from a close family and she didn't want to move to the UK so I sold my house in the UK as I found out renting is fkn bonkers - so many idiots. When they did the house visit they saw it was a home, the immigration guy loved our dogs. It's hard work going for marriage visa, if you  have money in a Thai bank then retirement is the easier route.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I did it the beginning of the year in Rayong immigration, it's very stressful. I had more than 1 million baht in my account and the boss kept trying to get me to renew my retirement visa as it's easier for them and for me. I wanted to get this done in case they made the rules harder in the future, I've put nearly 400K pounds into the Thai economy and want to be sure about everything as I've committed myself to living here, my wife is from a close family and she didn't want to move to the UK so I sold my house in the UK as I found out renting is fkn bonkers - so many idiots. When they did the house visit they saw it was a home, the immigration guy loved our dogs. It's hard work going for marriage visa, if you  have money in a Thai bank then retirement is the easier route.

Possibly the reason the Immigration boss was trying to steer you towards an extension of stay based on retirement is that you had more than enough funds in the bank for that purpose. Extending one's stay based on marriage is not hard at all, at least, based on my and several friends experience. You just show less than B65,000 a month income or less than B800,000 in the bank and of course,all the related paperwork. For some, this first extension can be a bit daunting, depending on the office and the staff.Normally the Immigration police will do a home visit to confirm that all seems legitimate. As long as the paperwork is correct and in order, there ought to be no problems.

But, as you say, if you have a spare B800,000 floating around, or the B65,000 a month, and qualify, retirement is less difficult.

Edited by ratcatcher

I applied for marriage extension (change from retirement ext) mid November and got the stamp 2 days ago.

Little more work (pics, house visit) and time (1 month under consideration) but absolutely no stress for me with Jomtien.

I showed 800+K in bank (same as last year but was not challenged about staying on retirement extension.

Only thing to note is that since I changed the extension type, it is like a first extension and therefore the 1 year period started with filing the documents in November (NOT on the day you receive the extension stamp), while the ret ext would have expired in December.

IMO more work for marriage extension yes, more difficult no

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zxc said:

My experience in Sakon Nakhon is the same as Sandrabbit's; they pushed hard for me to apply for a retirement visa as they can process this themselves, whereas a marriage visa needs to go to another office for approval. (I think KhonKaen)

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

They are sent to immigration division 4 headquarters in Korat for approval.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zxc said:

My experience in Sakon Nakhon is the same as Sandrabbit's; they pushed hard for me to apply for a retirement visa as they can process this themselves, whereas a marriage visa needs to go to another office for approval. (I think KhonKaen)

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I think Rayong office send the applications to Bangkok for processing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I think Rayong office send the applications to Bangkok for processing.

The are sent to immigration division 3 headquarters in Bangkok that is over the immigration offices in the central region. 

For the north it is division 5 in Chiang Mai. The south is division 6 in Hat Yai.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The are sent to immigration division 3 headquarters in Bangkok that is over the immigration offices in the central region. 

For the north it is division 5 in Chiang Mai. The south is division 6 in Hat Yai.

Cheers Joe!

Very helpful thread Thank You.. Is it true now that the income affidavit from The USA Embassy (Thai Wife Visa Extension) must now be taken to MFA @ Chang Wattana for verification (?)  Am a few months away from having to renew but am hearing conflicting stories.. also is there an additional fee there...?Thanks In advance.

11 minutes ago, Norskie said:

Very helpful thread Thank You.. Is it true now that the income affidavit from The USA Embassy (Thai Wife Visa Extension) must now be taken to MFA @ Chang Wattana for verification (?)  Am a few months away from having to renew but am hearing conflicting stories.. also is there an additional fee there...?Thanks In advance.

Only if you applying at the offices in Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya or Hua Hin.

16 minutes ago, Norskie said:

Only if you are applying at the offices in Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya or Hua Hin.

Thank You for that Joe, Am renewing at the new Immi Office in Tha Yang.. Live slightly north of Cha Am. so very close to the new office  (I guess it is the new Petchaburi office) Was notified  at last 90 day to do everything here Now as I  live in Petchaburi Jungwat.Cheers! 

6 hours ago, Evilbaz said:

I knew retirement extensions were now done there - so marriage extensions too?

Thanks.

Now you have sowed the seeds of doubt in my head, I think marriage extensions are also done in room 103

but now i would have to say you need to check, sorry Baz, maybe someone who knows might pipe up?