Thailand charges 19 'red shirt' leaders with violating junta ban

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/16/2016 at 4:46 PM, Get Real said:

Unfortunately this country has many people with very low or no education. These people are easy to manipulate by giving them a little extra money and support when they needed it most. That´s a big part of why they stayed in power for 15 years. Has absolutely not anything to do with right side of democracy. Just manipulation of people in a vurnarable situation, and that must be wrong all times it´s made.

Wouldn't you say the junta is doing the same thing. Borrowing from the playbook. Just asking.

On 12/16/2016 at 6:02 PM, FrankThai said:

The army is doing a great job in a highly difficult situation.   Most Thais that I know support the stability that has been in place since the coup.

Democracy as practiced in Europe or the United States is not necessarily the best system in parts of Asia.  Different cultures may mean a different system. 

When they took over and in the early days I would have tended to agree with your sentiment. However, now I only feel that the army is out to protect its own and those who are in cahoots with it (ahem). The stability you feel is "forced" because no one dares do anything to bring the spotlight on themselves, no matter how well-intentioned they are for the country, for fear of retribution.

The economy is tanking and this cannot all be ascribed to a global downturn. A number of foreign companies are upping sticks and moving to more accommodating/stable shores. The junta is doing a fantastic job, and then you wake up and see reality.

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

When they took over and in the early days I would have tended to agree with your sentiment. However, now I only feel that the army is out to protect its own and those who are in cahoots with it (ahem). The stability you feel is "forced" because no one dares do anything to bring the spotlight on themselves, no matter how well-intentioned they are for the country, for fear of retribution.

The economy is tanking and this cannot all be ascribed to a global downturn. A number of foreign companies are upping sticks and moving to more accommodating/stable shores. The junta is doing a fantastic job, and then you wake up and see reality.

I agree with you 100% as that is how feel now.

new boss the same as the old boss but different coloured suit.

That's not entirely true there are also big corporations investing in Thailand as has been seen by news articles on TV.
Big business is fully aware of the thai coup cycles..means nothing new because we already know that in 3 to 6 years there will be another.

May as well just leave them here and they have done more to clean up thailand in a few years than the democratically elected governments have in 100 years but this is the elephant in the room that many are ignoring. I hope they stay for 10 years but unfortunately history has shown that won't be the case and we are back to corruption but with zero interest in developing thailand

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

The insults as in your reply though you were the one who was insulted.

I think you had me wrong. I was just miffed by the lack of creativity. It would have been fine if he had called me 'The Mad Twatter' or something interesting...

16 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Agreed, at first i had far more hope and now its a lot less. I still see them as the lesser evil but not by much anymore. Would be nice to see people in charge who are in it for the people not themselves. Too bad these people are scarce. 

3 minutes ago, mcfish said:

That's not entirely true there are also big corporations investing in Thailand as has been seen by news articles on TV.
Big business is fully aware of the thai coup cycles..means nothing new because we already know that in 3 to 6 years there will be another.

May as well just leave them here and they have done more to clean up thailand in a few years than the democratically elected governments have in 100 years but this is the elephant in the room that many are ignoring. I hope they stay for 10 years but unfortunately history has shown that won't be the case and we are back to corruption but with zero interest in developing thailand

I agree they did stuff to clean up Thailand and  it was far more than what the PTP ever did. However on their own corruption charges (nephew of PM and the park scandal) they are just as bad as the other parties ignoring it completely. Had they not done that I would have felt better about them. 

Still they did do a lot against corruption and more people are charged and convicted this period then ever before. But on the other hand with things like the one gateway they are going far to far. 

4 hours ago, robblok said:

'Did you hear the pad leaders advocate the burning of BKK ? inciting their follower to violence.. did they set off bombs ? ... I guess not.. the red are always far more violent than the yellows.  The leaders that advocated the burning of BKK and that led to the burning of building should be in jail for terrorism. Of all the groups the reds are the only ones that have killed 4 kids.. 

Well, it seems there is more division of work on one side of the political arena.

On the red side you have the official political body (PTP), and the activist body (UDD). The activist body may extend its role to violent/armed activities when they feel is needed, as there is no other body available for that.

On the other side, there are three different bodies, the political (dems), and two others respectively wearing yellow and green shirts. When the yellow shirts get violent, it has not the same aim, which is to call for the third body to intervene.

35 minutes ago, mcfish said:

What have you been drinking/smoking/sniffing? 100 years of democratically elected governments? In Thailand?

What have you been drinking/smoking/sniffing? 100 years of democratically elected governments? In Thailand?

Ugghhh dude just take the very obvious message in my post for what it's meant.. What next spelling police?

1 hour ago, billd766 said:
1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I agree with you 100% as that is how feel now.

new boss the same as the old boss but different coloured suit.

I've long taken the view that the lot currently holding the reins are what Thaksin and his cronies have always aspired to: this lot are the real deal; Thaksin's a wannabe.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Wouldn't you say the junta is doing the same thing. Borrowing from the playbook. Just asking.

Actually have no defense against that statement. You´re right all people that gains some kind of power always tries to feed their own interest in some way.

6 hours ago, baboon said:

I think you had me wrong. I was just miffed by the lack of creativity. It would have been fine if he had called me 'The Mad Twatter' or something interesting...

Would you like me to have a try at you?

Sadly there is a lack of creativity on the forum and not just in this thread.

I feel that there really isn't a lot that interests me much any more and if I took a few days off from it I am not sure I would notice the difference when I come back.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Would you like me to have a try at you?

Sadly there is a lack of creativity on the forum and not just in this thread.

I feel that there really isn't a lot that interests me much any more and if I took a few days off from it I am not sure I would notice the difference when I come back.

By all means, if it is any good...

Sounds like you are having one of those days we all get from time to time. You strike me as a resilient type of bloke, so get yourself the tipple of your choice and have a good kip so you will be ready to fight another day.

I can recommend John le Carré books for times like these...

1 minute ago, baboon said:

By all means, if it is any good...

Sounds like you are having one of those days we all get from time to time. You strike me as a resilient type of bloke, so get yourself the tipple of your choice and have a good kip so you will be ready to fight another day.

I can recommend John le Carré books for times like these...

I am just finishing off a glass of Chateau de Cardboard (aka Mont Clair in a box) before bed and my Ebook is by W E B Griffin.

Enjoy your evening and gird your loins for tomorrows battles.

Have a great week.

On 12/16/2016 at 6:02 PM, FrankThai said:

Democracy as practiced in Europe or the United States is not necessarily the best system in parts of Asia.  Different cultures may mean a different system. 

Classic racism expressed so articulately. George Orwell would have been proud of the mental gymnastics required. Yup, freedom means something different depending on where you come from - not all people can expect to be equal, afterall?

2 hours ago, sandemara said:

Classic racism expressed so articulately. George Orwell would have been proud of the mental gymnastics required. Yup, freedom means something different depending on where you come from - not all people can expect to be equal, afterall?

Classic ignorance expressed so articulately.   Cultures are in fact different.   Your communist ideology already lost in the global cold war.

Edited by FrankThai