Ryzen performance comparison

dave_boo

So for those following tech news the imminent release of AMD's new processor (which I will call Zen because the new name is so...yeah) had a soft launch which was live streamed.  One of the things that was demoed was the Blender performance where they compared an Intel 6900K versus their processor.  We don't know if there was MCE running on the Intel system so the clockspeed as between 3.2 and 3.7 GHz compared to the locked at 3.4 GHz of the AMD processor.  So either Zen was at par or slightly ahead.  And this was with a ~45 watt power deficit.

Having said all that, has anyone bothered benchmarking their computer against it?  On AMD's New Horizon page, there's the blender file that was used.  If anyone's interested, below is the screenshot of my 3630QM (2.4GHz), 8 GB of memory.  Note that it took this laptop 1:10.57 seconds to complete the render.  That means my processor is only 51% of the speed at this task (if we assume perfect scaling per clock than if I were able to get this processor to 3.4-highest I've seen it stable under throttlestop has been 3.1GHz-than my processor would be 72% as fast).  However I have to point out that this was run on an Opensuse Leap 42.2 install with all my normal programmes running.  I also didn't build the latest Blender so am using an older version.

Having said that, I sure am excited for AMD to finally start dropping Zen processors especially the Opteron versions.  Should be a nice upgrade.

Screenshot_2016-12-17_22-15-18.png