Permenant residency visa

13 hours ago, Jujus said:

Just reacting to the subject of this thread: permanent residency is a status, not a visa.

I would tend to agree with you but Immigration often refer to what we call PR as an "Immigrant Visa" (as opposed to Non-Immigrant).

An example is the TM22 you need to fill out for annual re-entry/endorsement.

tm22.pdf

41 minutes ago, thedemon said:

I would tend to agree with you but Immigration often refer to what we call PR as an "Immigrant Visa" (as opposed to Non-Immigrant).

An example is the TM22 you need to fill out for annual re-entry/endorsement.

tm22.pdf

Correct, that is the Non-Quota Immigrant Visa to allow you to re-enter the country (basically to pass the border), but not to stay. The permanent residency status is what allows you to stay.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jujus said:

Correct, that is the Non-Quota Immigrant Visa to allow you to re-enter the country (basically to pass the border), but not to stay. The permanent residency status is what allows you to stay.

Just googled that and it seems you are right. Cheers

• Like 1

So I went to immigration in Jomtiem, showed my passport to the Thai guy at the desk on the left hand side, explained that I finish work next week and would like a Retirement visa, he tells me that I cannot do this in Pattaya, that I have to go to BKK because that's where my existing visa was issued. Now that's a right pain in the ass if I have to go to BKK.

36 minutes ago, hackjam said:

So I went to immigration in Jomtiem, showed my passport to the Thai guy at the desk on the left hand side, explained that I finish work next week and would like a Retirement visa, he tells me that I cannot do this in Pattaya, that I have to go to BKK because that's where my existing visa was issued. Now that's a right pain in the ass if I have to go to BKK.

You will have to cancel your current extension of stay (it is not a visa) at the office that issued it. You will need a termination letter to do it. If you go to immigration a few days before the date on the letter they will postdate the cancellation to that date.

Then you would go to Jomtien to apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement.