TAT rethinks plan as China arrivals fall

webfact

3 hours ago, chrissables said:

I'm just back from a three month motorbike tour of Vietnam. The mountain areas are more beautiful than Thailand and free to see. The places that do charge give a lot more for a lot less than Thailand. An example, entrance fee, buggy ride and a cable car ride up a beautiful mountain and back is less than entrance to Khao Yai! There is no obvious double pricing.

If the Thai government were in charge they would make everywhere a national park with 10 fold price differences for the visitors.

After riding for hours i could stop and have a nice cold beer after 2pm! None of the stupidity that rules in Thailand. 

Thailand is not the center of the tourism world and if they want more tourists spending money, they should take a look at what is happening in neighbouring countries. Vietnam is booming! They are spending huge amounts on the infrastructure, it offers more for less.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A suggested 5-Step Plan :-

1. Engage Brain

2. Open Mouth

3. Remove Foot

4. Commission a 6-month all-expenses-paid first-class-overseas-travel Study, to determine what other steps might be taken, to assist in the revival of the Thai tourist-industry, both Chinese & farang  ... 

5. Produce statistics showing that tourist-arrivals are up yet again  (the oldies are the goodies)  :smile:

Nice for you and your bike but the rest of us end up in Hanoi or Saigon surrounding by a million backpackers and a million scooters All blowing their horns in unison, it's deafening! And not a go go in sight. And the street hawkers are so relentless that I was forced in restaurants to sit as far inside as possible.
Not thanks but you enjoy your tour though.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, BSJ said:

This must be a spam post!  It was only last week her eminence herself was crowing about a record number of tourist were coming. 

So the Chinese rude tourism numbers have dropped , well hallelujah to that.those of you on TV who have to make ranting your pleasure , should get a life,and do some actual research first and,independently too,then you'll learn , that Thailand is the top tourism destination in this area!

It is my opinion that most of the persons in charge of certain departments and projects in Thailand are are not really qualified to do their job. A good example is my arrival recently on an international flight and wanting to use the shuttle bus to Don Muang for flight to Suratthani.  Time was against me, i tried to buy my Surat ticket with Air Asia, but due to very long busy qeue, decided  to get my ticket at DM. I proceeded to the shuttle bus which was about to leave. Because i did not have an onward flight ticket i was not allowed to board the bus , which then took off 2/3 rd empty. Subsequently i had to wait another hour and missed the Surat flight.

My question is.... Why in the hell would anyone want to go to DM just for the ride rather than to fly.

How stupid is this, i offered to pay the fare, but was told "Cannot"

What <deleted> thought this one up ?

7 minutes ago, jimlek said:

So the Chinese rude tourism numbers have dropped , well hallelujah to that.those of you on TV who have to make ranting your pleasure , should get a life,and do some actual research first and,independently too,then you'll learn , that Thailand is the top tourism destination in this area!

Says TAT   lolololol

If the Chinese are not coming to Thailand, where are they going? Maybe the Philippines?  After all, they do have a new BFF running the country now and he is going to kick the U.S. out. At least he says he is. The Vietnamese don't like them, so they won't go there. Maybe Cambodia. China is their largest importer.  It seems the Chinese don't really have a lot of options in there own neighborhood. 

They could always go to North Korea. I here it is lovely at this time of the year.

It is my opinion that most of the persons in charge of certain departments and projects in Thailand are are not really qualified to do their job. A good example is my arrival recently on an international flight and wanting to use the shuttle bus to Don Muang for flight to Suratthani.  Time was against me, i tried to buy my Surat ticket with Air Asia, but due to very long busy qeue, decided  to get my ticket at DM. I proceeded to the shuttle bus which was about to leave. Because i did not have an onward flight ticket i was not allowed to board the bus , which then took off 2/3 rd empty. Subsequently i had to wait another hour and missed the Surat flight.
My question is.... Why in the hell would anyone want to go to DM just for the ride rather than to fly.
How stupid is this, i offered to pay the fare, but was told "Cannot"
What thought this one up ?

Agreed it's an idiotic policy. Everyone including myself was caught by surprise and scrambled to show an email confirmation but if your smart phone was dead then you were not going anywhere

34 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

Now they want to invite again the masses, who trample down to 100th the beaches and corals.

Chinese mass tourism is only useful for a few major organizers. The majority of normal small thai shops have zero profit of it. Short-term profit thinking from a few, will permanently destroy the natural resources for all.

Everything is trampled down by most of the tourists, independent from their nationality.

Also it is not true that small Thai shops have zero profit. In our area here in Bangkok a lot of  restaurants and other shops, even nearby malls profited a lot from them.  I don't know where you get your information from. Anyway, as of now, all that stopped. The nearby hotel is almost empty and almost no Chinese tourists are seen, not in the restaurants and not in the massage shops...

6 hours ago, Briggsy said:

That is the trouble of doing business with China. They want all the profits repatriated minus the bribes necessary to achieve this.

When this doesn't happen, they withdraw and try another bribe strategy.

That's business my friend. It's good to control demand and set prices.

- Record High Household Debts

- Huge decline in Foreign Investment

- Local SMEs unwilling (unable) to make new Investments

- A Terrible Educational System

- Hostile Attitude towards Expats and Foreign Owned businesses

- Restrictions of the Internet 

and now also..... Chinese Tourists Numbers are falling. Just a few things that all contribute to an overall declining economy, which will/is affecting the majority of Thais. 

I wonder when will will see the "tipping-point"? 

- Record High Household Debts
- Huge decline in Foreign Investment
- Local SMEs unwilling (unable) to make new Investments
- A Terrible Educational System
- Hostile Attitude towards Expats and Foreign Owned businesses
- Restrictions of the Internet 

and now also..... Chinese Tourists Numbers are falling. Just a few things that all contribute to an overall declining economy, which will/is affecting the majority of Thais. 

I wonder when will will see the "tipping-point"? 

Tipping point has been around the corner for 50 years apparently. The brink of civil war, blowing up central world mall on Bangkok, a military coup every few years, the tightening of visas.. But they still come
If there were a viable alternative they wouldn't but there is zip in the area that even comes remotely close to the Thai package and the thais absolutely know this even if a lot of TV posters don't

6 hours ago, rhythmworx said:

Advertise an all you can eat prawn buffet for just 99 baht, the whole of china will be over lining their bags and sleeping rough on the street due to lack of hotels available.

6 hours ago, simon43 said:

Syria, Syria, Syria! They are all trying to leave their country.  There lies the new source of tourists.

... And then Afghanistan

... And maybe Iraq

To be PC don't leave out Yemen, Tunisia and all of Africa as well. Could  shatter any and all travels records recorded by Guinness. Plus many bonuses and promotions handed out for a job well done in rescuing the tourist industry here. Wow. 

Tipping point has been around the corner for 50 years apparently. The brink of civil war, blowing up central world mall on Bangkok, a military coup every few years, the tightening of visas.. But they still come
If there were a viable alternative they wouldn't but there is zip in the area that even comes remotely close to the Thai package and the thais absolutely know this even if a lot of TV posters don't

Truth in that

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Lots of road blocks in Chiang Mai stopping western tourists on bikes and fining them if they don't have either an International Driving Licence or a Thai Licence.

500 Baht fine -- really good to encourage tourism -- everyone stopped with me had their own country driving licence. No warning, just pay the fine -- Tourist police just shrugged.

And thousands of Thais driving bikes and cars without a licence or insurance -- JUST CATCH THE TOURISTS!

Wow, I wish I could get only a 500 Baht fine for driving without a license in my home-country.  And their insurance rates did not double or triple?  That's a great deal!  Same story in Cambodia, btw, but maybe a bit cheaper.

The "tea money" ticket system used in most of the world is much less harmful to those who commit minor traffic offenses than the "official" extortion/court racket we have in the USA - where it can do serious harm to your financial well-being.  For many, it can remove the ability to continue making it to a job, leading to joining our burgeoning homeless population.

Edited by JackThompson

If I was living overseas and considering a holiday in Thailand,Vietnam,Laos or Myanmar Thailand would be fourth on the list.The arrogance of TAT and stupid restrictions on alcohol hours,closing times and treating adults like naughty children are coming back to bite them in the rear end.The parties over.

SO Thats why a  Pakistani was nabbed with 2kg  of cocaine at the airport as they now  offer them free visas for a few  months....makes sense to me................Im  missing the Chinese with their "follow the leader"  with the flag

19 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Wow, I wish I could get only a 500 Baht fine for driving without a license in my home-country.  And their insurance rates did not double or triple?  That's a great deal!  Same story in Cambodia, btw, but maybe a bit cheaper.

The "tea money" ticket system used in most of the world is much less harmful to those who commit minor traffic offenses than the "official" extortion/court racket we have in the USA - where it can do serious harm to your financial well-being.  For many, it can remove the ability to continue making it to a job, leading to joining our burgeoning homeless population.

but at least youre  still alive to tell this tale.............thanks to thos e rules

6 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

But the hand was only feeding China.Maybe a drop in people but maybe not in money,except 7/11.Less Chinese tour buses could only be a good thing.

Let's not forget the TAT figures that they were feeding!

4 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Lots of road blocks in Chiang Mai stopping western tourists on bikes and fining them if they don't have either an International Driving Licence or a Thai Licence.

500 Baht fine -- really good to encourage tourism -- everyone stopped with me had their own country driving licence. No warning, just pay the fine -- Tourist police just shrugged.

And thousands of Thais driving bikes and cars without a licence or insurance -- JUST CATCH THE TOURISTS!

I've been vacationing in Chiangmai for almost 5 years now and THIS year, (all in one week) I've been stopped 4 times for not having a international drivers licence. Fined 2 out of 4 times even though I had all correct paperwork besides a license which was never a problem before and I showed them my SETV from Cambodia. 

I also got to witness a cop fine my 74 yo friend 1,000 baht in BKK when we were driving back from Hua Hin. He said my friend made an improper lane change (which was total BS). My friend was wondering if we were in the correct toll lane from when we first entered and luckily we were so we stayed in that lane.

Hope they stop scamming western tourists. I keep telling my family all the reasons why I love Thailand and encourage them to come!

P.S. The Chinese tourists I've met have been inconsiderate and rude. I stayed 2 weeks at Banyon Tree BKK @ 400 USD / night I let a Chinese tourist cut in front of me to eat. (I wai'ed) Then 9 more of her Chinese friends cut in front of me and then my thanks was they just walked through me like I wasn't even standing there! None of them thanked me!

Time after time the Chinese are showing me how rude they are. I can't believe they know how to live with other people. Off the sky train 6 Chinese tourists decided to walk against traffic and through all the people; including me! In TOP supermarket they all cut in front like me and my Thai friend were invisible. I hope they stop coming; they are like animals with no respect, dignity or manors. They are inconsiderate. Good riddance if you ask me.

Edited by seadigital

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

There's no shortage of Chinese tourists on Walking Street at night, you can hardly move on the Street of Sin for all the flag-toting guides and their parties of gormless gawkers.

Exactly,they are on Walking St,not in restuarants and bars spending money.They eat enough at breaky to last all day,maybe top up with some 7/11 noodles.Cheap Charlie i am,but i can't beat the Chinese,i do spend some money.These type of tourists will not put a hole in Thailand's budget.

And of course the number of Chinese deaths from boat accidents, traffic accidents, etc..

And the gold / bag snatching, hotel room robberies and other crime committed against Chinese tourists have nothing to do with the falling numbers of Chinese tourists right?

So now you are encouraging Thai police to break the law.Would police let a tourist off in your home country.

Chinese tourist companies, Chinese-owned tourist buses, Chinese-owned hotels -- not sure where you live but in my Chiang Mai hangouts the only places they frequent are the markets!

And they may buy a banana after a 15 minute haggle.

43 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

22 minutes ago, kannot said:

but at least youre  still alive to tell this tale.............thanks to thos e rules

If you are talking about serious life-threatening driving - that is something else.  Fact is, the police in the USA are generally more of a threat to average person than the criminals.  Getting mugged is less harmful than a run-in with the police, there.  Many Americans are barely making ends-meet, so when they cannot afford to renew registration because of some other event that month, then get a ticket for it costing multiple paychecks, that's "game over" and they loose everything.  A small "on the spot" fine, to encourage them to remedy the situation, would be much less cruel.

Other than "tea money" fines for breaking actual laws (not wearing helmets, etc), the police here don't generally bother anyone who isn't making trouble someone else.  That's a big plus for Thailand, in my book.