Canadian tourist among several killed in Jordan castle shooting

webfact

Canadian tourist among several killed in Jordan castle shooting

606x341_352739.jpg

KARAK: -- A Canadian female tourist is among at least ten people killed in a shootout between gunmen and security officials in and around a medieval castle in southern Jordan, authorities say.

The Jordanian government says an operation is underway to flush out six “terrorists” from the citadel in the mountainous city of Karak.

Witnesses reported hearing sporadic gunfire in the vicinity of the citadel, which is one of the nation’s most popular tourist destinations.

Two Jordanian civilians and seven police officers are also said to have been killed.

A number of people trapped inside the castle were later reported to have been freed. Foreign tourists were said to be among them.

The identity of the gunmen is unknown. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Jordan’s public security directorate issued a statement saying:

“Police and security forces have surrounded the castle and its vicinity and launched an operation to hunt down the gunmen.”

The nation is a close ally of the United States. It forms part of the US-led coalition fighting the ISIL jihadist group in Iraq and Syria, prompting the militants to threaten to “break down” Jordan’s borders.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-12-19

1 minute ago, phantomfiddler said:

Why would any tourist of sound mind go to any middle eastern country ! 

You have a higher chance of getting hurt here in Thailand due to a traffic accident than you do of being involved in a terrorist act in some of the ME countries.  But yes, some, like Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan are no go's now. 

I know several who just got back from 3 week tours of Iran and loved it.  No hassles at all....other than getting the initial visa.  I'm just back from Istanbul, though have to admit, I was a bit nervous. It's a great city to visit though.

Why would any tourist of sound mind go to any middle eastern country ! 

I could start with the food and then get a bit more esoteric with history and culture. But yes, when it comes to finding tourists with sound minds it is difficult to compete with Pattaya.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

42 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

You have a higher chance of getting hurt here in Thailand due to a traffic accident than you do of being involved in a terrorist act in some of the ME countries.  But yes, some, like Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan are no go's now. 

I know several who just got back from 3 week tours of Iran and loved it.  No hassles at all....other than getting the initial visa.  I'm just back from Istanbul, though have to admit, I was a bit nervous. It's a great city to visit though.

I get your point, and think you are quite right,  but people look at it this way. They personally accept the risk each time they get on a bus/motorbike etc, as its their decision.

They have no control over some nutter blowing himself up or shooting up a beach.

Just now, sungod said:

I get your point, and think you are quite right,  but people look at it this way. They personally accept the risk each time they get on a bus/motorbike etc, as its their decision.

They have no control over some nutter blowing himself up or shooting up a beach.

You have no control over some drunk hitting you while you are driving on the road either.  It's a risk, but IMHO, less of a risk in, say, Istanbul, than driving around the roads here in Pattaya.  Especially on a scooter! LOL

You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, anywhere in the world. But western people need to understand,

that if you go to a Muslim country( not including the USA ), your % of being killed in a terrorist attack does increase.

Better to visit Australia, New Zealand,  or stay home.

Stay in your little box, until all terrorists are killed, by Trump.

2 minutes ago, bark said:

You can be in the wrong place at the wrong time, anywhere in the world. But western people need to understand,

that if you go to a Muslim country( not including the USA ), your % of being killed in a terrorist attack does increase.

Better to visit Australia, New Zealand,  or stay home.

Stay in your little box, until all terrorists are killed, by Trump.

Let's not forget one of the biggest "terrorist" acts in US history was done by...Americans.  Oklahoma City.  Guess I'll have to avoid that city? LOL

2 hours ago, sungod said:

My point is, they accepted the risk to be on the road, it was a decision they made themselves and something they consider they have a degree of control over, that's the big difference in the way the mind works.

Their perception of risk is different to actual risk.

They have no more control over being rear ended (to name just one "random" road threat) than they have over the gunmans trigger finger.

In Thailand one of the random road threats is that there are a great many drivers/riders who are themselves "gunmen".

Edited by Enoon

17 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Their perception of risk is different to actual risk.

They have no more control over being rear ended (to name just one "random" road threat) than they have over the gunmans trigger finger.

In Thailand one of the random road threats is that there are a great many drivers/riders who are themselves "gunmen".

Agreed, the point I was trying to make.  Their perception makes them believe they have an element of control, thus accept it.