Non-Immigration O-A retirement visa Multi Entry

Thank you for the informative and comprehensive coverage.

I read a lot of information but because of all the diff visa types I thought it best to clarify... and hope this helps others

My visa is an O-A  Multi Entry [retirement] obtained from Thai embassy in home country (Aust) valid from 10 March 2016 to 9 March 2017

I have left Thailand a couple of times to travel and each time my passport is stamped with an entry permit valid for 12 months from my (new) entry date.

All good and sounds consistent with what is talked about on the forum.

1. Can you confirm for me that means that if I go on a trip and return some time before 9 March 2017 I will get a stamp which permits me to stay for 12 months ie 8 March 2018.

2. Then, if I go on another trip out of Thailand within that 12 month time frame I should get a re-entry (or a multi re-entry) permit, which would allow me to return to stay up until that 8 March 2018.

3. Then, if I want to stay on with a Retirement visa I can apply before the 8 March deadline for an extension-renewal but still need to do the re-entry (or multi re-entry) permit application if I wanted to travel outside Thailand (meeting the criteria of bank balance etc).

Is this a valid assessment of the process?

Welcome input with thanks.

• Like 1

You are correct on all counts. Another option before march 8th 2018, is to return home and obtain another non o-a visa. Start over. Used correctly, you can get up to 2 years permission to stay for each non o-a visa.

During the one-year validity period of the multiple-entry non-O/A visa he can make an unlimited number of entries into Thailand and on each entry he will receive permission to stay for one year. There is no "up to 2 years permission to stay"; each permission to stay, shown on the arrival stamp, is for exactly one year.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maestro said:

During the one-year validity period of the multiple-entry non-O/A visa he can make an unlimited number of entries into Thailand and on each entry he will receive permission to stay for one year. There is no "up to 2 years permission to stay"; each permission to stay, shown on the arrival stamp, is for exactly one year.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Do you need to get a re-entry permit every time you leave the country if you have a multi entry permit ?

And would that apply in the 2nd year of the permit also ?

6 hours ago, berybert said:

Do you need to get a re-entry permit every time you leave the country if you have a multi entry permit ?

And would that apply in the 2nd year of the permit also ?

For the first year of a multiple entry OA visa a re-entry permit is not needed. After the visa expires a re-entry permit is needed to keep the remainder of the last one year entry valid on entry to the country. A re-entry permit can be a single or multiple.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For the first year of a multiple entry OA visa a re-entry permit is not needed. After the visa expires a re-entry permit is needed to keep the remainder of the last one year entry valid on entry to the country. A re-entry permit can be a single or multiple.

Cheers for that.

Hers my predicament. I am in Thailand on a work permit and Non Imm visa, which are good till next July. But my employment will finish at the end of the month. My employer will, for sure, cancel my work permit-which they hold anyway. I suspect they would also like to cancel my visa but I wont be surrendering my passport to them. Can they cancel it anyway, maybe electronically?

I plan to leave Thailand in March, so if they do cancel my Visa, I could be in for a surprise when I go to leave Thailand in March-2 and a half month overstay.

I guess if that is the case, I should think about a retirement visa, can I go Jomtiem & transfer Non Imm visa to a Retirement visa?

Hope someone can advise

16 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Hers my predicament. I am in Thailand on a work permit and Non Imm visa, which are good till next July. But my employment will finish at the end of the month. My employer will, for sure, cancel my work permit-which they hold anyway. I suspect they would also like to cancel my visa but I wont be surrendering my passport to them. Can they cancel it anyway, maybe electronically?

I plan to leave Thailand in March, so if they do cancel my Visa, I could be in for a surprise when I go to leave Thailand in March-2 and a half month overstay.

I guess if that is the case, I should think about a retirement visa, can I go Jomtiem & transfer Non Imm visa to a Retirement visa?

Hope someone can advise

If you have a valid multiple entry non-b visa from an embassy or consulate it would remain valid when your job ends.

If you have an extension of stay based upon working obtained at immigration it ends when your job ends.

If you can meet the financial requirements for an extension of stay based upon retirement you could change the reason for your extension from working to retirement.

You would need 800k baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or proof of 65k baht income or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

For that you need to obtain a letter of termination on last day of work and go to immigration to cancel the extension of stay and leave or apply for an extension for other reasons and if not qualified it would provide 7 days to leave/make other arrangements (if money in bank not seasoned 60 days you could use proof of account to obtain a non immigrant O visa for a new 90 day entry from Thai Consulate in adjacent country - or if planning to leave in March anyhow a tourist visa/extension would also work).