Saving Cambodia's Ancient Silk Legacy

geovalin

Cambodia’s ancient handwoven silk industry, once among the world’s finest, was fading into oblivion before Japanese textiles expert Kikuo Morimoto came along. In a country racked by poverty and the lingering ravages of civil war, few Cambodians were involved in silk production, and the art of silk weaving was fading.

Commissioned by UNESCO to survey the status of traditional Cambodian silk making in 1994, Morimoto came upon a rural village, where he saw elderly women selling silk weavings to middlemen for nearly nothing. By purchasing their products for higher prices, Morimoto set about restoring and re-creating traditional silk production—and a way of life. It was an experience that would indelibly change the Japanese textile expert’s life, as well as those of scores of Cambodians.

Within a year, Morimoto founded the Institute for Khmer Traditional Textiles in Siem Reap, a community 20 miles from Phnom Penh, and started a project to raise silkworms and grow mulberry trees. "In the beginning, it was like a wasteland,” he says. “But I planted trees, built a house, dug a well, and made a road and a farm—everything. People thought I was crazy. I guess most people would worry about not knowing how to build a community. To me, it seemed like a reality, something possible to realize."