All Right, What Do I Have ?

This Retirement Visa thing literally has my head spinning with all the different stories in these forums.

I am in the US and over 50. I sent in my Visa application to the US Embassy in Washington, DC. I was just going to get a multiple entry O-A Visa and used the block on the application where it said purpose, I wrote "To investigate retirement". I received a call from the Consular Section and the person there advised that I should just go ahead and provide further documentation and obtain a Retirement Visa instead ( medical certificate, additional passport photo, local criminal records check, proof of monthly retirement income, and bank statement showing net worth). Well I did as they suggested and today I received my passport with Visa:

Please see attached jpg of my Visa and tell me how it can be a Retirement Visa if no where does it state retirement.

If it just a regular Non Immigrant O-A multiple entry Visa then why did I have to provide all the documentation regarding monthly income and savings to the Thai Embassy in DC ?

And finally, do I have to provide the immigration bureau in Thailand this documentation all over again ?

post-10942-1165473572_thumb.jpg

This Retirement Visa thing literally has my head spinning with all the different stories in these forums.

I am in the US and over 50. I sent in my Visa application to the US Embassy in Washington, DC. I was just going to get a multiple entry O-A Visa and used the block on the application where it said purpose, I wrote "To investigate retirement". I received a call from the Consular Section and the person there advised that I should just go ahead and provide further documentation and obtain a Retirement Visa instead ( medical certificate, additional passport photo, local criminal records check, proof of monthly retirement income, and bank statement showing net worth). Well I did as they suggested and today I received my passport with Visa:

Please see attached jpg of my Visa and tell me how it can be a Retirement Visa if no where does it state retirement.

If it just a regular Non Immigrant O-A multiple entry Visa then why did I have to provide all the documentation regarding monthly income and savings to the Thai Embassy in DC ?

And finally, do I have to provide the immigration bureau in Thailand this documentation all over again ?

Looks good to me - I have a stamp that looks just like yours and I have been here on a retirement basis now for more than two years.

The nice thing about it is that it's a multiple entry so, if you time it right and make a short trip out of Thailand (and return) before the 'enter by' date, you can get almost two years without needing to transfer any big money (800 kB). Still need to report to Immigration every 90 days though but I believe that this requirement may soon cease.

DM

As said you have a retirement (long stay) visa of the multi entry type and upon entry into Thailand you will receive a one year permitted to stay stamp each time while the visa is valid. So as said up to almost two years can elapse before you are required to extend your stay at Immigration. Just remember that once the visa expires you require a re entry permit to keep your stay alive.

Will remove your JPG.

As said you have a retirement (long stay) visa of the multi entry type and upon entry into Thailand you will receive a one year permitted to stay stamp each time while the visa is valid. So as said up to almost two years can elapse before you are required to extend your stay at Immigration. Just remember that once the visa expires you require a re entry permit to keep your stay alive.

Will remove your JPG.

Presumably this is what is comonly called a 12 months multiple entry visa? Or is it some other type?

No it is not what is commonly called a 12 month multi entry visa.

This is a long stay (retirement) type visa as the designation "O-A" confirms. It is obtained with proof of retirement money in your home country and provides a one year permitted to stay stamp when you enter Thailand.