Changing jobs while on Non-B (not extension)

Hi, all. I had a look around this forum and couldn't find the answers I was looking for, so I'm hoping someone can help clear up my confusion here. Sorry if the questions are stupid or confusing, but feel free to ask and I can try to explain the situation more clearly. Just wanna make sure I do everything the right way to avoid any unnecessary hassle or extra charges.

So, first of all, I'm currently teaching here in Thailand on a Non-Imm B type visa, which has not been extended yet. I'm still in the initial 90 day period of the visa, and that ends on 10th January. I also have a work permit.

Secondly, I'm changing jobs (still teaching), and my new employer has told me I need to acquire a 60 day tourist visa while they start their own visa process. So, I'm taking a trip to Malaysia. I plan to leave the country over land next week and return via air in the first week of January.

Thirdly, if it matters, my passport and I are from the USA. 

Now, I have a few questions that I would be grateful for answers to.

1. As I am NOT on a visa extension, do I need to take a trip to immigration and cancel the non-b, or will it be canceled automatically by leaving over land?

1b. If the latter is the case, should I expect any hassle at the border (Padang Besar)?

2. I'm assuming I need to cancel my work permit and bring the cancellation letter to the border? Will my visa be affected automatically when I cancel the work permit? Or can I cancel it, say tomorrow, and then proceed to take my trip next week without issue?

3. Is there anything obvious I'm missing?

I know it's a lot! But thank you for taking the time to help me out. It's much appreciated.

ETA:  Any advice on applying for a tourist visa at the embassy in KL? The listed requirements include a return ticket out of Thailand and a hotel booking, neither of which I have.

Edited by kochran1

Just a heads up to anyone facing similar problems:

The Labor Department responded to my earlier email. They said I need to cancel the work permit before I leave, or else I'll have issues the next time I apply. That response prompted me to call immigration @ Chaengwattana, who didn't pick up. Tried the One-Stop Center at Phayathai then, and they said I need to formally cancel the visa no more than one week before leaving. 

YMMV. But check it out before you organize any expensive or lengthy visa runs. 

2 minutes ago, kochran1 said:

That response prompted me to call immigration @ Chaengwattana, who didn't pick up. Tried the One-Stop Center at Phayathai then, and they said I need to formally cancel the visa no more than one week before leaving. 

They misunderstood what you actually have. Immigration will not cancel an entry from a visa only an extension of stay they issued.

You have no valid visa to cancel.

"Any advice on applying for a tourist visa at the embassy in KL? The listed requirements include a return ticket out of Thailand and a hotel booking, neither of which I have."

I thought KL wasn't being recommended as a good place to apply?

19 minutes ago, TerryLH said:

"Any advice on applying for a tourist visa at the embassy in KL? The listed requirements include a return ticket out of Thailand and a hotel booking, neither of which I have."

I thought KL wasn't being recommended as a good place to apply?

You are a little off topic in this one.

Kl has not been recommended a good location for any visa for sometime now.