Considering Moving From Bkk To Chiangmai

Slated

As my company has notified me that they no longer require my services, and I would like to remain in Thailand, I'm currently pursuing oppertunities outside of BKK.

As I am a year short on my degree, I'm considering finishing at a Thai university. Seeing, on this board, the cost of living in Chiangmai, and having heard of its beauty and more 'rural' feel, it seems like a good starting point.

Having worked with children in the past, and with university possibly costing more than I can currently afford, I'm also looking into TEFL courses in Chiangmai. (the jury is currently out on the degree/wp/tefl cert debate)

I greatly enjoy the ease of travel throughout BKK, but would expect it to be nearly as easy in CM. Of the 16 countries I either been to or lived in, Thailand is by far my favorite, and I would love to stay.

Anyone able to comment on my random thoughts I've 'caffinatedly' shared with you.

note:caffinatedly is a trademarked word by me and subject to a 250bt fine if used on this board without prior written terms of use agreement.

Many of us in Chiang Mai have never lived long-term in Bangkok, and vice versa, so it's hard to compare. Yes, housing prices are generally cheaper. Public transport is worse. The air may be better, but it's dusty in the dry seasons. It's a bit cooler.

It's a bit more caffeinated here, though.

Many of us in Chiang Mai have never lived long-term in Bangkok, and vice versa, so it's hard to compare. Yes, housing prices are generally cheaper. Public transport is worse. The air may be better, but it's dusty in the dry seasons. It's a bit cooler.

It's a bit more caffeinated here, though.

The people are friendlier too than Bangkok where they act much more plutocratic (money making) . As long as you can ride a bike safely, the transport is'nt too much bother either.

Come on up! Just don't bring any gimps with you :o

I lived in Bangkok for one year then moved to Chiang Mai. Well, for fun at night Bangkok is the place ( I am sure I don;t have to go into detail on that point ). You have more markets in Bangkok as well so you can get a greater amount of goods at ever more competitive prices. Transportation is easy and cheap in Bangkok as well.

All that being said I would much rather live in Chiang Mai.

Number one on my list is ... Chiang Mai is cool a good percentage of the time, and it even gets cold at times. Housing is cheaper, massage is cheaper, most services are cheaper in Chiang Mai. If you can afford it. you will need to get a car to really enjoy Chiang Mai to the fullest. Like bangkok they don't have parking just about everywhere you go but if you want a nice house at a cheap price you will have to drive a bit to get it. Pollution is starting to be a serious concern here, but to be honest the real contributors are the idiots that burn their fields after the harvest. There are good restaurants here and if your not a bar fly you will love it here.

Edited by swain

I think most people who have lived in both cities would agree Chiang Mai is cheaper, less congested, smaller and friendlier. It's also less humid than Bangkok, which is nice.

It doesnt have a rural feel though, I think. If that is what you're looking for, you should go deeper North. Or South.

Downsides: the air quality in the dry season is appalling, the city is growing at an alarming pace and the land prices are already quite high, and still rising. Lately there has been a trend of building megalomaniac projects like the Night Safari, and if it continues the city could quickly lose a lot of its distinct charm.

If you have the choice to live anywhere and think you would like a more quiet setting that does not become like Bangkok too quickly, try to find out more about the rest of the North and the Upper North East as well.

I too relocated from BK to CM...and have never regretted it.

I could have chosen anywhere in Thailand, but fter I had searched back and forth Chiang Mai was right for me.

As far as amenities go.....well I dont think that its missing much. One the one stretch of road between my house and the fisrt intesection I can:

Catch A Plane

Visit My Bank

Shop at Tesco

See my Doctor

Get my presciption drugs from a chemist

Service both of our cars

Buy Petrol/diesel

Go to the Cinema

Have a Massage

Go to my Health Club (well I will when it opens in Feb)

Buy everything I need to maintain my house.

Go Department Store shopping

Visit Starbucks

Go Swimming

Eat the best Fish on the planet

All this within 3 kilometres of my home.

Chiang mai was voted the fifth favourite holiday destination for world travellers..I am privelledged to live here :o

PS..We get ALL THE BEST FESTIVALS as well. Songkran up here is the best in Thailand as is Loy Krothong...and the people are much more freindly..much more than BK..in fact I dislike going back there now,if my Wife and I did not have family and freinds there we would not bother going at all:bah:

Anyway its your choice...I have heard that Chiang Rai is nice too, but a lot quieter than Mai and I am not sure about the possibilities of furthering your education there..you could always post on that forum..they are a freindly bunch there :D

TP

Good luck wherever you settle

@ Slated: Have you ever been to CM? If not, then you should probably check it out so it'll give you more ideas.

I personally love CM. Although I've never lived there; I used to go up there almost every weekends. Nice weather, nature, friendlier people, good shopping and nightlife too-- just like most people say... But couldn't settle down there because of work...

So good luck to you whether you pursue your studies or work... :o

A good friend of mine once told me that "the people who have their act together go and live in CM"

I am not in total agreement with this of course but my rule of thumb is this.

As long as you have a good job and decent salary opportunity then I would suggest that you stay in Bangkok.

If a job and high(ish) salary aren't what you are seeking then I would move to Chiang Mai or even Chiang Rai as the lifestyle, cost of living and all round environment are far better up there than stuffy Bonking Bangers. Just be prepared for cooler winters, dusty summers (Wasn't she a singer? :o) and upon occasion some serious flooding.

For me, living in the likes of Pattaya, Phuket, Cha Am, Hua Hin and the like is only advisable if you really love the sea and want that holiday atmosphere all year round otherwise it can get incredibly boring. I lived in Phuket for 6 months and couldn't wait to get out of there in the end.

Having personally lived in CM, BKK and PHK I would say that I love Bangkok for the Siam Paragons and Central Worlds that you get to wander around, but should things change job wise for me in BKK then CM or CR will be my abode of choice for sure and my long term plan is to ultimately move up there for good. CM in particular has some really nice restaurants to eat and chill out in and the place is a lot nicer to zip around on a motorsai which cannot be said for Bangkok.

Edited by Casanundra

• 1 month later...

Chiang Mai is great in everything except finding a girlfriend. I've lived here over a year and can't get anywhere with the women. Most farangs say the same thing, that dating here is tough: women are just so shy.

Edited by tilac2

Chiang Mai is great in everything except finding a girlfriend. I've lived here over a year and can't get anywhere with the women. Most farangs say the same thing, that dating here is tough: women are just so shy.

Perhaps you are looking in the wrong places.

Now i am no Brad Pitt but it seems everytime i enter Carrefoure or Lotus alone i find myself engaged in conversation with another beautiful thai woman from which i have had many telephone numbers given to me without request.

If i wasnt a very happily married man i would be sure to do ALL my shoping there.