Moving to Udon - whats it like

thelongshoot

Hello people

Me and the wife are thinking of moving to Udon.  Her family live in a small town only one hour from the city and I am bored out of my mind with Hua Hin, so figured we might give it a shot.  I have a few questions if anyone could help out with a little feedback, thanks!

- We will rent and then in maybe a year or two buy/build a house if we decide on staying.  Im guessing the rental options are pretty limited?  What are the chances of finding a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house with walled or fenced garden and decent driveway?  Obviously there are loads of houses just like that in Udon, but I guess very few for rent, if any?  It would be perfect to find something just on the edge of city, maybe with a few fields around without being too remote.

- Supermarkets.  There is a Tops in central so I guess that has a half decent range of stuff I might need like decent ham, sausages, bread, tinned stuff etc... Right?  Anything else like that up there?

- Any areas that you might say are a good area to live in, or is the whole city ok?

- Any ex-pat bars/pubs that are ok to hang out?  I just had a night up there with a mate of mine and we had a few beers along the strip close to market (I think?) sort of round the back of Central.  There was the road with Irish Clock which i didnt think much of to be honest, no offence... And a small strip of beer bar style bars round the corner from that which i thought were terrible - again, no offence.  Maybe its just quiet that time of year im sure they are great places otherwise.  Just hoping there might be a decent little bar somewhere that i could use as a local?  Maybe meet a few new friends up there and stuff?

- Power outages.  How bad are they?  In Hua Hin its maybe down for 3 or 4 hours once a month in the summer.  I read on another forum its like once a week up there, i cant believe it is that bad is it?

-Internet ok up there?  Fibre?

-Where do you fellas go for a weekend away with the family/mrs if you have one, localy?   Loei i guess is a nice day trip or weekend, i guess maybe somthing smaller like cheng Kian (spelling?), anything else?

- Golf.  Im not a massive golfer, actualy i quit 3 years ago but used to play every day.  I wouldnt mind starting again, a couple times a week, are there many golfers up there who dont mind a new bloke turning up and making an arse out of himself? :)

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

TLS

as far as bars/pubs/restaurants are concerned there are quite OK places here and there around town,

ie away from that soi in which you find Irish Clock

there are some OK weekend getaway places within the province

Nong Khai and Loei, sure OK weekend alternatives.

- What are the chances of finding a nice 3 or 4 bedroom house with walled or fenced garden and decent driveway?  Plenty to rent and cheaper than HH.  But the leading farang agency in the area was harassed out of business by corrupt imigration officers.

- Supermarkets. 

Plenty and much cheaper than HH.  But you should shop at the local talads as the produce is very fresh and very cheap.

- Any areas that you might say are a good area to live in, or is the whole city ok?

Easy to navigate the ring road system.  You can live anywhere.  Avoid areas where your neighbours are farangs. 

Avoid areas where Thai youth are carrying hoes.

- Any ex-pat bars/pubs that are ok to hang out? 

The prostitutes in Udon are the absolute bottom of the barrel in all of Thailand.  They are old and ugly and no longer able to sell their wears in Hua Hin.  Learn to use Thaifriendly and other dating sites.  Meet the girls at Central.  Avoid the bar scene all together.  There used to be a good night club on the street just up the road from Nutty Park.  But the farang owner was followed home and murdered.

- Power outages.  So often you wont even notice it.

-Internet ok up there?  Fibre?

The internet is still steam driven, but if you move the rabbit ears around enough you can usually pick up some morlam.

-Where do you fellas go for a weekend away with the family/mrs if you have one, localy?  

Hua Hin

- Golf.  Im not a massive golfer, actualy i quit 3 years ago but used to play every day. 

If you quit golf in HH because of the heat, boy oh boy, you are in for a suprise in Isaan.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

In January 2016, I moved from Udon to Ao Nang, Krabi.  In October  I moved from Krabi to  Hua Hin. 

I quite liked Udon. I had earlier lived for some years in Chiang Mai and wanted to live in Isaan. 

I cannot  speak about houses as I am a renter of apartments. 

Food shopping is very good in Udon. Besides local markets there are two Villa Markets and the Tops is great. Not as good as Rimping in Chiang Mai, but close.

There are lots of smaller Farang bars on the outskirts of Udon that are spoken of quite highly by their patrons.  My interest in bars is to play pool and to speak Thai, so I restricted my activities to the areas you already mentioned. I saw some bar girls there that knocked my socks off, easily the equals of their counterparts in CM, BKK, HH, Krabi, Phuket and other places I have lived here.

I never noticed untoward power outages in Udon, nor have I noticed them in my two months in HH. 

I think you could spend a year of weekends exploring Loei Province. Then you have Laos at your doorstep too. 

As for HH, I am enjoying the access to a daily morning newspaper, decent bread, coffee, books, cheeses, and all the other things not  available to me in Ao Nang. 

PS: Beware the police in Udon. Do not ever drink and drive late at night. Roadblocks galore. The Tourist Police are quite good. Call them if you have issues. Speak with Peter. His English is better than mine. Immigration is so-so: much better than CM and Phang Nga, worse than HH, Krabi. 

Edited by Seligne2

1. Plenty of houses you described for rent on or just outside of the ring road. Be warned - you can feel like a prisoner if you live in a village and you can quickly become isolated. Insects are a big problem so think very carefully.

2. Two Villa Markets, Tops, 2 Big C's. 3 or 4 Tesco Extras, a Macro  and a few smaller shops that sell western dry goods. A baker who will make things to order including those pies and puddings you can't do without. 

3. 4 bars that sell draught English beer, a speciality beer shop that sells beer from across the world, wine shops galore to suit every pocket - a very special shop that sells a wide range of international spirits.

4. Electricity is very reliable in most areas. Occasional outages in some areas, mainly on the western side of the city.

5. A lot of internet providers here. Which supplier to choose depends on the part of the city you choose to live in. Fibre optic available - can be a little unstable at times but usually very consistent high speed.

6. So many people knock immigration - if you are polite and treat them with respect they will treat you in the same way. There was a rude nasty individual in the office some time ago but she has been posted away. I have nothing but praise for the current team. I've not had dealings with the police but reports suggest theb tourist police here are very helpful if you have a need for help.

7. Traffic inside the city can be heavy - weekends are especially bad and parking can be difficult at peak times. Try not to use a large car or pick-up. A small city car is ideal.

8 Flooding can be an issue in the rainy season but the water drains away pretty quickly.

9. Lots of very nice places for family visits both inside and outside the city. Vientiane in Laos is a lovely city with a wide choice of hotels to suit every budget.

10. As in every city, violence does occur but it is unusual for foreigners to be specific targets. Just be streetwise.

11. I don't play golf but am aware there is a golf society in the city, with 3 or 4 courses locally.

12. Don't drink and drive. Roadblocks abound and you will end up paying a substantial amount. Late night taxis and Tuk-Tuks can be a problem so adjust your leisure time.

Personally, I love life in Udon. There are girls available outside of the usual places you mentioned (which are dire) if that is a desire. It helps if you can speak a little Thai and some are real beauties, a match for any of the girls you find in the seedier parts of the south.

24 minutes ago, Hairyharry said:

1. Plenty of houses you described for rent on or just outside of the ring road. Be warned - you can feel like a prisoner if you live in a village and you can quickly become isolated. Insects are a big problem so think very carefully.

2. Two Villa Markets, Tops, 2 Big C's. 3 or 4 Tesco Extras, a Macro  and a few smaller shops that sell western dry goods. A baker who will make things to order including those pies and puddings you can't do without. 

3. 4 bars that sell draught English beer, a speciality beer shop that sells beer from across the world, wine shops galore to suit every pocket - a very special shop that sells a wide range of international spirits.

4. Electricity is very reliable in most areas. Occasional outages in some areas, mainly on the western side of the city.

5. A lot of internet providers here. Which supplier to choose depends on the part of the city you choose to live in. Fibre optic available - can be a little unstable at times but usually very consistent high speed.

6. So many people knock immigration - if you are polite and treat them with respect they will treat you in the same way. There was a rude nasty individual in the office some time ago but she has been posted away. I have nothing but praise for the current team. I've not had dealings with the police but reports suggest theb tourist police here are very helpful if you have a need for help.

7. Traffic inside the city can be heavy - weekends are especially bad and parking can be difficult at peak times. Try not to use a large car or pick-up. A small city car is ideal.

8 Flooding can be an issue in the rainy season but the water drains away pretty quickly.

9. Lots of very nice places for family visits both inside and outside the city. Vientiane in Laos is a lovely city with a wide choice of hotels to suit every budget.

10. As in every city, violence does occur but it is unusual for foreigners to be specific targets. Just be streetwise.

11. I don't play golf but am aware there is a golf society in the city, with 3 or 4 courses locally.

12. Don't drink and drive. Roadblocks abound and you will end up paying a substantial amount. Late night taxis and Tuk-Tuks can be a problem so adjust your leisure time.

Personally, I love life in Udon. There are girls available outside of the usual places you mentioned (which are dire) if that is a desire. It helps if you can speak a little Thai and some are real beauties, a match for any of the girls you find in the seedier parts of the south.

A very accurate and concise summation.

Very accurate about the city itself . He"s staying 1 hour out which can be Nong Khai or anything in a 100km radius . In this radius , it can be as remote as it gets ( and terrible boring ) . The town is fine ,as stated before , you'll find everything you want , allthough it is limited . As soon as you are out , it get's quiet very fast and not finding anything at all anymore . Not the same as HH where everywhere is flooded with western people ( not bad , just observation ) . Udon has got western people and western shops , and plenty of choice for what you want . Living there is just not the same like HH or anywhere in the South .

The last time I was there it was a very busy downtown, lots of cars, and almost as many samlwors (pedicabs). Plenty of bars, including some large music  halls with rock bands. There was a large US Air force Base just outside of town with F-4's taking off day and night, plenty of massage parlors near it, about 100B an hour at the nice ones. I guess I should mention that it was 1972.

3 hours ago, sezze said:

Very accurate about the city itself . He"s staying 1 hour out which can be Nong Khai or anything in a 100km radius . In this radius , it can be as remote as it gets ( and terrible boring ) . The town is fine ,as stated before , you'll find everything you want , allthough it is limited . As soon as you are out , it get's quiet very fast and not finding anything at all anymore . Not the same as HH where everywhere is flooded with western people ( not bad , just observation ) . Udon has got western people and western shops , and plenty of choice for what you want . Living there is just not the same like HH or anywhere in the South .

Well spotted. The OP is a bit ambiguous in that his wife's family home is in Bahn Nork but is he asking about Muang Udon Thani rentals?

As many have attested in these hallowed pages, living in the boonies aint for everyone and if he reckons Hua Hin is boring, Nakon Nowhere will be a real challenge to the sanity. There's some advantages in living a bit closer, say 20 minutes tops from the city itself; peace and quiet and loads of time to work on your hobby. The OP didn't mention any beyond giving golf a whirl again. If not, then the OP's plan of regular trips to Loei, Laos or wherever will keep it all real. I happily lived just outside the east ring-road for about 6 years but I was in and out of the country 3 or 4 times a year. Just a weekend elsewhere will keep it from going stale.

Mrs NL is from Udon and she mentioned there's a couple of areas out east on Nittayo Road, highway 2 to Sakon Nakohn that have a real bad reputation for burglaries and probably not the best of neighbours despite the attraction of the quiet and peaceful village life.

Edited by NanLaew

All places i Thailand are very similar away from Pattaya and Phuket. Udon is as good as anywhere. I would not worry about finding a store with decent ham, sausages,bread and tinned stuff. I suggest you do a bit of googling and see what kind of food you should eat and I can assure you ham,sausages,bread of anykind and anything in tins except maybe sardines is anything but healthy. Thai food is far more healthy than anything you can buy in the supermarket. Chok Dee

How old is the OP?

If you are still 50 ish I would forget it for a while!

I lived in Pattaya outskirts for 15 years prior to moving to Udon 3 years ago, as stated you can get most things, most of the time though not spoilt for choice, limited restaurants and bars to choose from.

Udon has four 9 hole golf courses, nearest 18 is in Nong Khai or about an hour drive to Khon Kaen for further 18 hole courses.

As stated you need to have interests else you could go stir crazy here! summers get very hot but the "cool" season kind of makes up for that.

I don't think you would have a problem finding a house to rent from what I have seen advertised.

I would tend to disagree that you can exist on Thai food, some is ok, all the time - no thanks - fish, seafood very low quality up here - all farmed! local meat? not off the quality I prefer.

3 hours ago, houlicha said:

The last time I was there it was a very busy downtown, lots of cars, and almost as many samlwors (pedicabs). Plenty of bars, including some large music  halls with rock bands. There was a large US Air force Base just outside of town with F-4's taking off day and night, plenty of massage parlors near it, about 100B an hour at the nice ones. I guess I should mention that it was 1972.

1972. Haha classic

16 hours ago, paul18620 said:

Udon Thai ,,,,I wouldn't bother if I was you ,you need to re-think 

It's ok , lot better then other places in

issan .

has bars just ok has great western food restaurant.

great shopping centre.

thai hooked no good most of them .

but if your not in to hookers then it is ok .

has a airport to fly in to , nong Khai not far away.

Edited by georgemandm
Spelling

I have been living in suburban Udon Thani for 3 years. It provides everything I need and that does not include friendly girls to chat with in bars, or even bars for that matter. The electricity is as reliable as anywhere in Thailand, the shops are plentiful from Big C , tesco , Central world as well as many inexpensive local market places. Traffic can be busy during peak times ( like anywhere). I dont play gold but know there are a few 9 hole courses ( mainly on military bases but with easy access).

I find immigration in Udon Thani to be very helpful and polite...can be in and out for 90 day reports in less than 5 mins.  Applications to re-new permission to stay can mean a 1/2 hr wait to be seen and then completed in about 1 hr ( so long as YOU have all the necessary paperwork).

Police roadchecks ARE plentiful....but if you obey the laws ( use a helmet, have a license, dont drive drunk) then they are just a nuisance.

Ok the hot season is HOT and the cold season can be cool( but thats all relative to what you are used to). Good info on udon thani map website.( please allow this reference mods ......).Happy to provide more specific info if you PM me.

I wonder how many posters above have actually LIVED IN UDON THANI

Thanks for all of the replies, very much appreciated and a big help.  Thanks! 

Just a bit of extra info that might help explain.....I have been in Thailand for 14 years full time, just the odd week back home once a year, and have been in Hua Hin for 6 years.  I dont go out much, rarely go to bars sort of grew out of that most of the bars here are the same and i got bored of it years ago, but I do love the odd 3 day blow out in Bangkok or Pattaya with a mate but thats once every few months.  Point is, i dont need nightlife, but a local friendly type place with a few locals in would be handy for a couple beers now and then.  Me and the wife have regular road drips driving off somewhere for a few days, seeing new stuff and having a giggle.

I rarely get bored at home, as it happens I love being at home.  I work on-line through the night, sleep in the mornings and in the afternoon i always have chores to crack on with, a small collection of classic scooters to tinker with (although im crap at it, still learning) plus 2 giant breed dogs that take up 2 hours a day cleaning the yard, cleaning them, walking them etc.  When im not working, doing chores or sleeping, im chilling out in my man cave on a massive comfy sofa with a bloody huge TV watching Netflix or You Tube.  Point is, i wont just be sitting at home twirling my thumbs and i dont get bored easily.

I could live anywhere realy as like i said, i dont realy go out anymore although my first 10 years here I was out almost every night, I spend most of my time at home anyway.  Im just bored of the same scenery here and also - I didnt want to bring this up as it might come over the wrong way - but the people down here can be pretty rude, just in my opinion.  I have always thought the further up north you get here, the more friendly they get so thats a big factor also.  It would be nice to walk in a shop to buy something or pay a bill and actualy see that Thai smile everyone talsk about, instead of a scowl that you often get down here.  So there is that reason also - that people are possibly more friendly in Udon and thats a big thing for me.  I do like Thai people for the most part but im begining to crack with them here as they honestly are pretty grumpy and rude down here.

I dont want to live in the boonies, I want to live in the city limits.  I would prefer to live on the edge of the city in a stand alone house in a quiet area of Udon, hopefuly just on the edge where it probably starts to thin out and beging to get a little scenic.  Moo Baans are ok but not my first choice, I would prefer something stand alone.  Her folks live one hour away North East of Udon and they are a small family.  There isnt shed loads of cousins, aunts, grandparents that can sometimes be a bad influence and overstep boundries, Its litteraly just her Mum and Dad realy, and they are busy on there farm.  Sons and daughters all spread there wings and they are nice people.  My wife isnt daft and wouldnt alow a stampede of her family bugging us all the time because she knows I would put a stop to it real quick, and anyway her parents are pretty chilled nice people who tend to leave us alone.  So, no worries about that. 

Thats about it realy.  As I said, i could live anywhere as i do stay at home a fair bit and dont need much going on entertainment wise localy.  I have a mad blow out every few months but apart from that I am busy (and happy) working, tinkering, or chilling at home.  I have lived in Hua Hin for 6 years, Kanchanaburi for 4 years, Bangkok for 2 years and Koh Samui for 2 years.  I guess it wouldnt hurt moving to somewhere totaly different.  I love Chiang Mai but only to visit.  We spent a week there earlier this year looking at areas to live and house hunting and decided the place is way too big and busy for us.  Great to holiday and as a base to explore but not for us to live.  Nan might be an option, and we are going to have a look in a couple of weeks to see what its like there so that is an option as well as Udon.

Many thanks for all the feedback, as I said it realy is a big help and I appreciate it!

9 minutes ago, thelongshoot said:

Thanks for all of the replies, very much appreciated and a big help.  Thanks! 

Just a bit of extra info that might help explain.....I have been in Thailand for 14 years full time, just the odd week back home once a year, and have been in Hua Hin for 6 years.  I dont go out much, rarely go to bars sort of grew out of that most of the bars here are the same and i got bored of it years ago, but I do love the odd 3 day blow out in Bangkok or Pattaya with a mate but thats once every few months.  Point is, i dont need nightlife, but a local friendly type place with a few locals in would be handy for a couple beers now and then.  Me and the wife have regular road drips driving off somewhere for a few days, seeing new stuff and having a giggle.

I rarely get bored at home, as it happens I love being at home.  I work on-line through the night, sleep in the mornings and in the afternoon i always have chores to crack on with, a small collection of classic scooters to tinker with (although im crap at it, still learning) plus 2 giant breed dogs that take up 2 hours a day cleaning the yard, cleaning them, walking them etc.  When im not working, doing chores or sleeping, im chilling out in my man cave on a massive comfy sofa with a bloody huge TV watching Netflix or You Tube.  Point is, i wont just be sitting at home twirling my thumbs and i dont get bored easily.

I could live anywhere realy as like i said, i dont realy go out anymore although my first 10 years here I was out almost every night, I spend most of my time at home anyway.  Im just bored of the same scenery here and also - I didnt want to bring this up as it might come over the wrong way - but the people down here can be pretty rude, just in my opinion.  I have always thought the further up north you get here, the more friendly they get so thats a big factor also.  It would be nice to walk in a shop to buy something or pay a bill and actualy see that Thai smile everyone talsk about, instead of a scowl that you often get down here.  So there is that reason also - that people are possibly more friendly in Udon and thats a big thing for me.  I do like Thai people for the most part but im begining to crack with them here as they honestly are pretty grumpy and rude down here.

I dont want to live in the boonies, I want to live in the city limits.  I would prefer to live on the edge of the city in a stand alone house in a quiet area of Udon, hopefuly just on the edge where it probably starts to thin out and beging to get a little scenic.  Moo Baans are ok but not my first choice, I would prefer something stand alone.  Her folks live one hour away North East of Udon and they are a small family.  There isnt shed loads of cousins, aunts, grandparents that can sometimes be a bad influence and overstep boundries, Its litteraly just her Mum and Dad realy, and they are busy on there farm.  Sons and daughters all spread there wings and they are nice people.  My wife isnt daft and wouldnt alow a stampede of her family bugging us all the time because she knows I would put a stop to it real quick, and anyway her parents are pretty chilled nice people who tend to leave us alone.  So, no worries about that. 

Thats about it realy.  As I said, i could live anywhere as i do stay at home a fair bit and dont need much going on entertainment wise localy.  I have a mad blow out every few months but apart from that I am busy (and happy) working, tinkering, or chilling at home.  I have lived in Hua Hin for 6 years, Kanchanaburi for 4 years, Bangkok for 2 years and Koh Samui for 2 years.  I guess it wouldnt hurt moving to somewhere totaly different.  I love Chiang Mai but only to visit.  We spent a week there earlier this year looking at areas to live and house hunting and decided the place is way too big and busy for us.  Great to holiday and as a base to explore but not for us to live.  Nan might be an option, and we are going to have a look in a couple of weeks to see what its like there so that is an option as well as Udon.

Many thanks for all the feedback, as I said it realy is a big help and I appreciate it!

I have been to udon lots of time have friends up there and I find it the best place in thailand if I was going to live full time .

i  am a part timer going to thailand have Been to lots of places, like you all over thailand and I would have to say udon is on top now for a place to live for me , if I was to live full time.

you will like it I think , ex pats seem to be ok , bars are just ok not great .

give it a go and this is what Tv is all about getting feed back like you was looking for , not members running other members down like it happens all the time on here  , personal attacks because your English is not so good or you say it like you see the truth.

now i will never post at all because of what I have been saying, but if I read a post like yours and I believe I can help you I will reply to your post but most times I just read them , some good story's on here to have a fun read , but to many on here want to  attack you .

6 hours ago, georgemandm said:

some good story's on here to have a fun read , but to many on here want to  attack you .

And when the attacked try to reply the mods let the attacker get away with it but stop the attacked from replying and defending them selves.

so the unfounded attack upon ones character is acceptable but the defence of ones character is not allowed.

Dare one mention words like Democracy, or Double Standards 

Sadly because of the above three words this little diatribe is very unlikely to get past the powers that be, or will they have the courage to let it be read, and just maybe a little more courage to moderate upon those members who chose to insult those of us who take great care to answer honestly and accurately the questions ask by other members.

I think not but with grace one will accept it if proven wrong

I would like to address the golf for you.  I think Udon is a good area for golf as forty minutes North is the Victory course, very nice and 1100 baht for 18 with cart and caddy in the off season [ Feb 1st to Nov 1st].  1800 high season.   One hour south is Ubonrot Dam course,  very nice and 1100 baht year round.  Sri Thani golf club fifteen minutes south, nice nine hole, 900 baht for 18.  Wings 23, on military base, OK nine hole about 350 baht for 18 with caddy walking only.  All these have adequate shower facilities or better.

Khon Kaen is probably a better golf town but non existent night life. Hospitals are best in Khon Kaen but good in Udon too. I live way out in the jungle but if I were to move to Udon I would consider the neighborhood on your right just after passing HWY 22 while on the bypass road going north as you can beat feet in all directions from there, and there are some good eats in that area.  Good luck.

6 hours ago, Janner1 said:

And when the attacked try to reply the mods let the attacker get away with it but stop the attacked from replying and defending them selves.

so the unfounded attack upon ones character is acceptable but the defence of ones character is not allowed.

Dare one mention words like Democracy, or Double Standards 

Sadly because of the above three words this little diatribe is very unlikely to get past the powers that be, or will they have the courage to let it be read, and just maybe a little more courage to moderate upon those members who chose to insult those of us who take great care to answer honestly and accurately the questions ask by other members.

I think not but with grace one will accept it if proven wrong

That's is why I not post 

If you get bored in Udon, rent a bike and then ride south towards Khon Khaen.  A little after Khumpa Wapi you will hit a little village called Non Saat.  Head a through the town about 2 kms and then turn right and ride into the boonies.  You will encounter several little broken arsed villages.  Park in the middle of the road in any of these and sit on your bike having a look around at the local denizens.  After 10 minutes or so several of them will approach you and offer you their daughters.

Edited by Bulldozer Dawn

On 12/23/2016 at 0:17 AM, novo58 said:

I wonder how many posters above have actually LIVED IN UDON THANI

I wonder how many posters  on  TV.  and  including local forums ,

actually  live  in  Thailand ?.  Not  many .  

Sad  and  lonely people ,  living  in their  Cyber  caves .  

Edited by elliss

58 minutes ago, elliss said:

I wonder how many posters  on  TV.  and  including local forums ,

actually  live  in  Thailand ?.  Not  many .  

Sad  and  lonely people ,  living  in their  Cyber  caves .  

I would say lots have live in thailand for sure.

Why would you post if you did not live in thailand?.

i go and come to thailand and have been doing it for 7 years.

i don't need the ok from anyone to post on a  public forum.

no one is sad and lonely, but you who think speople post on here need to live in thailand to post .

your cybers cave .