Council chief blows a gasket in Facebook rant about littering tourists

webfact

Council chief blows a gasket in Facebook rant about littering tourists

a5.jpg

Picture: Sanook

CHONBURI: -- The well known chief of the Bang Saen municipality has gone online to have a withering rant about tourists messing up his beach.

Narongchai Khunpleum - better known as "Nayok Tui" used his Facebook page to sound off about the messy tourists.

He appeared to be blaming the many Thai people who flock to Bang Saen, reports Sanook.

Posting pictures of the offending rubbish he said: "I see this every morning when I am out for my jog. Saturday and Sunday it is even worse. It is all along the beach. The tourists have no sense of shame.

"They have no thought for others. When they have finished they just up sticks and leave everything there. Even though there are rubbish bins five or six steps away. No education! No understanding about damage to the environment!"

"Nayok Tui" said he always sets a good example and stops to put as much litter in the bins as he can but he is fighting a losing battle.

He said he saw a group of youths drinking alcohol and eating on the beach. When he ran back on his run he saw they had left all their rubbish and some bottles were even smashed.

Continuing his rant he added: "This is so unfair on people who have to clear up the trash. And you know what? If they go up to these people and tell them not to trash the place they have been known to be assaulted for their trouble".

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-12-23

"They have no thought for others. When they have finished they just up sticks and leave everything there. Even though there are rubbish bins five or six steps away. No education! No understanding about damage to the environment!"

Spot on, Nayok Tui.  :thumbsup:

Here in Koh Samui the tourists are starting to get bad ay dumping rubbish but only because they see that is what most of the Thais do and therefore it must be acceptable.  I walk my dog mainly in quiet areas where few tourists go and it is still usually like a rubbish tip because of Thais dumping their rubbish.  Here I would say that the Thais are at least 90% responsible.

If you look closely at the picture in the article, you'll notice that there are no Rubbish Bins available to put the trash that tourist generate. This is true in most of Thailand. Most foreign tourists are quite aware of the need to put trash in a proper disposal area. But there are none in most of Thailand. And for the record, most of the tourists that go to Bang Saen, ARE THAI.

If you look closely at the picture in the article, you'll notice that there are no Rubbish Bins available to put the trash that tourist generate. This is true in most of Thailand. Most foreign tourists are quite aware of the need to put trash in a proper disposal area. But there are none in most of Thailand. And for the record, most of the tourists that go to Bang Saen, ARE THAI.

If you look at the photos attached to the original Sanook article, there is a bin 20m away.

Well just leave it for 1 or 2 month and see how they think about that.

Lack of education and enforcement and off-course some bins to put it all in doesn't help.

One of the big disadvantages of living here, trash everywhere.

How come Vietnam looks nice and clean compared to here?

1 hour ago, ehs818 said:

I run this same stretch almost every day. There are rubbish bins and plenty of them. And even if there were't it still wouldn't be acceptable behavior. And he knows they're Thai. " He appeared to be blaming the many Thai people who flock to Bang Saen, reports Sanook." Don't get a lot of foreign tourists in Bangsaen, and this guy pretty much runs the town and owns it so pretty sure he's clear on that. Rubbish bins everywhere, sand sifting machinery to clean the beaches, street sweeper trucks,  gangs of street cleaners, still can't keep up. 

Thai's don't seem to give a shit. It's a shame. Perhaps if the council tried to make an effort the places would be nice and clean. Maybe if they stopped taking back handers to build more and more condos the place might be more attractive and the Thai's and farangs who invested off plan wouldn't be in shit.
Time people started to get jobs because they are capable of doing them. Not because who their mummy and daddy are.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

This issue does boil down to education. Kids in Japan and most western countries are taught to throw rubbish in a bin. Tokyo has a population of over 20 million and it is spotless. Sure, you will see some random trash here and there, but compared to any area in Thailand it's pristine. Start them young and have the kids shame the adults into acting better. Thailand is a beautiful country hidden under a mountain of garbage.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Littering is as common as fish sauce here and it is a problem the government might have a shot at fixing. Anti littering campaigns were very successful 30 or 40 years ago in North America. Just tie it in with patriotism.

I agree 100%. Spearheaded by Mc Donald's. "Pick up clean up, its all up to you", bussing your tray

when you finished your meal. Making sure your garbage was placed in the garbage can and picking

up a few extra pieces from the ground. Very successful. Micky D's should dust of the same campaign

and use it across Asia. 

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

And no police to fine them....

In Bangkok there are cigarette butt police who stalk smoking tourists waiting until a cigarette is discarded - even down a drain.  A 'fine' is then negotiated.  Surely there is an abundance of 'civic-minded' police to enforce this?

While what he is saying is true, and the vast majority of Thai people have very, very little regard for either their environment or nature in general, he has some responsibility for clean up, of his own beaches. He has to use some of his budget, or petition the local government for funds, to handle the clean up. That is the case with any tourist beach. His area generates income from the tourists. This is what is known in many civilized areas as giving back to the community. Does he get any of that? 

If Thais were taught beginning at a young age, that the land is sacred, and something to be respected, things might be different. Also, littering laws would help. In the US, they had the same problems until the 1960's. They started a litterbug campaign, and it caused a great deal of shame, to people who continued the practice. Also, today in the US the fine for littering the highways is now $1,000. Try that here! 36,000 baht would wake their butts up. 

19 minutes ago, mikebell said:

In Bangkok there are cigarette butt police who stalk smoking tourists waiting until a cigarette is discarded - even down a drain.  A 'fine' is then negotiated.  Surely there is an abundance of 'civic-minded' police to enforce this?

Yup they also got me, he picked another cigarettebutt from the drain and claimed it to be mine. I showed him my marlborough package and the butt was a krungtip but he just walked off with my passport and i had to pay 1000 to get it back.

I admit i threw it in the drain though but there were no bins to be seen nowhere. And now since BKK is "so safe" there really are no bins anywhere, even not on big markets like chatuchak. 

Now i ask the security at the entrance of malls where to put it, sometimes they have an empty bottle to put it in or sometimes they tell me to throw it outside, the maid will clean it they say, mai ben lai.

Brits, Northern Europeans, Scandanavians and Americans are all "conditioned" to dispose of their waste in the proper manner.......sadly not so Asians

Many years ago there was a campaign "Keep Britain Tidy"....attractive...litter bins were located everywhere with the same wording and emblem embossed on them.

Hey Thailand ......why not adopt similiar but with the slogan

Make Thailand.   "Tidyland"

but of course.....like the west....the older more stubborn generation....has to die out first

or their offspring shame them into it

Archived