Wooden Slab Bench

Simbaya

HI all,

I decided I want to buy a last-minute Christmas gift for my neighbor (and me, too, as we'll share it between our two townhouses).

I'm looking for a simple, slab-type bench.  The photo enclosed is a mere approximation--but you guys know the type I've seen around: rugged, sometimes reclaimed wood, nothing carved or fancy.

I half-heartedly asked around about this a month ago, and was told by Thais that these types of benches run pricey.  Nonetheless, I'd like to know what the options are.

Anyone have a line on this type of bench?  Do you want to sell one, or know someone who does?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to all!

IMG_0682.JPG

Edited by Simbaya
wording

It's not exactly what I'm looking for, but THANK YOU!

Your response is what I value with our forum.

Please, if possible, trolls step back, and let us help, instruct and advise each other on our forum.

I have stayed away from TV because of the angry men on this site who have little to do but disparage those of us that need help, want to share, or have specific questions, 

But I have decided to swim with the sharks in 2017, so look out!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS for everyone on TV!

We, as a community, overall stand tall, with kindness and understanding as our watchwords.

Wishing the best for you and family as we approach 2017!

Thanks to all who contributed here.  I know this sounds kinda funky, but I haven't figured out how to respond to an individual within a forum post.

I'll get that figured out,

See my previous post.  I hope to bring information, kindness and (hopefully) humor to TV in the future.

Nancy L (love ya, Nance) has been my unknowing mentor.

In the days of impending Trump-dom ( and it will affect us all, irrespective of our nationalities),  I want to make a concerted effort to be kind, informative, and good..

Trolls, troll away, but know that integrity (mainly) prevails.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Edited by Simbaya

Cruise around Ban Tawai. Go down every soi and yard. See what's on offer. When you have seen everything go back to the place with the bench you liked. It may seem reasonable already but bargain it down further. Normally they can deliver it to your home too if you don't have a pickup. If you are lucky you may end up with something better than you expected and cheaper.

9 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Can you give location (Google Map) of the shop you bought This? thanks

haha, I am not that clever but if you know the Ban Tawai craft village I can describe very easily.

From the main road to BT from Hang Dong you reach the main tourist entrance on the right. continue to the second entrance another 50m or so.

from that 2nd entrance, you will pass a hardware shop unusually then a funky mega expensive crafts unit. just a few metres further on you come to an open yard with several factory shops set back ( there is a traditional thai painting shop, the guys actually painting them, cheap cheap, but to the left is a furniture shop and opposite they are making the furniture.)

He has benches there...

I originally went for bedside units; the cheapest teak units I have seen were 3500bt; literally everywhere. identical units here 2100bt.

and the bench for me an impulse buy, it was a price I would never see again and they had 3 in there.

they brought for me the next day.

The point is, you need to delve around the back. these guys (i mean the craftsmen) are supplying most the shops in the tourist areas but the tourists dont come down this soi...50m is too far to walk.

Anyone needs to know other factories turning out furniture; refurbing old  cabinets  or timber reclamation yards let me know I will send you into Borsang and Ban Thi

I havent been out to BT for ages but the last time there I was very impressed as to what is available.  Some very big/long slab table out there and now doubt the accompanying bench seats.

Hope you find what you are after and a very Merry Christmas to all.....  (Fortunately I havent caught up with the PC brigades/countries that insist that we no longer call it Christmas, least we offend some poor souls (But thats another subject))

There is a shop in the Kham Tieng flower market area that sells this type of furniture. They have a place in Ban Tawai but it might be closer to go to the flower market. Small show room but might be worth a look. You'll have to drive around in there to find it, or ask.

17 hours ago, elektrified said:

Can Baan Tawai even continue as an ongoing concern for too much longer? The last two times I was there, the place was quite literally deserted and shops were closed/out of business everywhere.

You're not wrong there. I go regularly and often I can walk down a full soi and be the only person there. certainly 40% of the units are now empty and those which are still open seem to be looked on by a friendly neighbour. not much use when she sells bed linen and you want advice on a painting!

a year ago you could count at least a dozen tourist coaches parked on the main road every day awaiting to collect their customers, not any more.

I also think the penny has dropped and some of them now realise that when there are another 20 units selling exactly the same as you that their long awaited night out at the Dukes needs to be put on hold again.

but whilst the old zones are emptying apart from the established quality units I have notice the main road is developing rapidly. most of the places I go to now are along that main road, no longer are they the more expensive shops, and I said earlier if you are prepared to get off yer bike and be nosey you can find some gems around the back of the main frontages.

sorry for my late response about your Christmas gift. One really good place to look for furniture items would be the cluster of furniture outlets in Lamphun. For location search Google Map - Noppadol Furniture Factory (one of the big stores there). Items are sold at "factory price". They don't deliver but can arrange delivery service. They charge by per trip so it's not worth it if u are getting just 1 or 2 items. I brought back a teak bench (plus a few smaller items) on my Dmax. The bench costs THB5300 bargained down from displayed price THB5500. Yes, most stores have prices posted on the items.

Member bamboozled mentioned Kham Tieng flower market. Some months back i saw many such benches at a furniture fair there. It looked to me to be a permanent feature. They claimed the furniture were made by prison inmates, so it's cheaper than retail. You may check if it's still there.

b9f7d7e64a4e73b684a36fd9e9bd3850.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, SinKhaPoChin said:

sorry for my late response about your Christmas gift. One really good place to look for furniture items would be the cluster of furniture outlets in Lamphun. For location search Google Map - Noppadol Furniture Factory (one of the big stores there). Items are sold at "factory price". They don't deliver but can arrange delivery service. They charge by per trip so it's not worth it if u are getting just 1 or 2 items. I brought back a teak bench (plus a few smaller items) on my Dmax. The bench costs THB5300 bargained down from displayed price THB5500. Yes, most stores have prices posted on the items.

Member bamboozled mentioned Kham Tieng flower market. Some months back i saw many such benches at a furniture fair there. It looked to me to be a permanent feature. They claimed the furniture were made by prison inmates, so it's cheaper than retail. You may check if it's still there.

If you went all the way to Lamphun and only got a discount of 200 Baht, then you didn't bargain nearly enough! Typically the price can be negotiated down 30% at those places. We used to go often.

Regarding the Furniture Fair: It's not still there. But it's usually there once a year for a few days only. I forget what time of the year.

If you went all the way to Lamphun and only got a discount of 200 Baht, then you didn't bargain nearly enough! Typically the price can be negotiated down 30% at those places. We used to go often.

[emoji15] 30% discount off prices that i already consider "very reasonable"? As a matter of fact staff at most shops would just point to the price displayed and claimed they had no authority to negotiate.

I did try to bargain hard. I actually examine the bench for any insignificant imperfection just to try cut the price. Eventually the staff did make a call on the spot and gave the final price at THB5300. (Well, could be an act.) Anyway i wasnt there specifically for this item, so i drove off to the other stores in search of things I went all the way there for. In another store i caught sight of a similar one with a price tag of THB6000. When the staff said it's fixed price i didnt inquire further. And i didnt look closely to compare quality though.
I didnt find exactly what i went for, so on the way back i stopped the store and get the staff to load the bench onto my truck. Granted it was an impulsive buy. The bench is still sitting oddly in my living room while i figure out re-arranging my furniture.

Btw, im living in Mueang. Seriously i dont consider distance within 50km radius of my home as "all the way". I had travelled further just to eat a meal. [emoji5]