Is wanting to find a girlfriend/wife reason enough to move to Thailand?

calbear09

There are thousands of locals waiting to talk to you in Bkk, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Phuket. You can find them sitting in small open sided structures and there will usually be a few young ladies looking at their phones or beckoning to their friend "hansum man" to join them and sit on high stools around the structure while they chat.
Just sit on one of the stools and purchase a beverage from one of the maidens to drink while you chat to them. If you like your maiden, you can buy her a drink too, or you can ask a different wench to sit with you. As time passes, you might like to play some games, like Connect 4. Then, once having had your fill of fluid, games and chat, feel free to pay the bill, include a tip if you like, and wend your way back to your residence alone.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

The assumption being I paid for the house? Also the assumption being that there isn't any documents or payments going into my account for the value of anything i spent on the house (which was a sofa, tv and two sitting toilets - for me) in the case of an end to the relationship. You don't find 'good' girls in any country without crossing your t's and dotting your i's. Literally, all i have bought since moving to Thai was my Caucasian Shepherd (as I love dogs). Yes, lets keep it factual if you wouldn't mind. It is interesting that you think you know more about my own family than i do. In terms of the actual house, well as my wife is educated and boss of her government department at 29, the home loan monthly payments are currently 5,600 a month. The government gives her 3,000 of that so it is 2,600 a month. In 2 years I will apply for PR to make all the legalities a little easier. 

However, like i said, there are many 'good' girls in Thai. They recognise the life and potential salaries you give up to move here so will happily share half the house (they paid for) indeed if there is a termination to the relationship. She even pays for an insurance policy for me. This idea isn't unheard of, i remember the boss of our district departments wife once saying to her that if he moves here for you then you should even not expect him to work as he has given up so much. I don't take that style of thinking, so naturally i work. 

Where do I say that I assume you paid for the house? It is a fact that you can't own the land. It is also a given that if the marriage fails you will have to leave. I am boggled by your opinion that your ex wife would be happy to have you still living in her house should you get divorced. Wouldn't happen back in the west and doesn't happen in LOS, AFAIK. I look forward to your links to articles about such happening in LOS.

I do not and have not claimed that I know anything about your family. Where did I say otherwise?

The details about your wife are irrelevant to the subject, as is who pays for your insurance.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a "good girl" in the context that you use. There are girls, period.

50 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I'm sure that 100 baht for a tuk tuk would not impress her enough to meet you at the airport. Since most guys only make maybe two trips a year, why would he want to support her full time?

Unfortunately, on this one I have to disagree.There are men living in the west that are so devastated by western women that when they meet a cute Thai woman that makes them feel like a real man they lose the common sense part of their brain and feel that they have to throw as much money at said cutie as they possibly can. It has always been so through the centuries with men and cute women.

As the time comes near to leaving, they wonder how to keep said damsel intact for only them, and come up with a plan to give them enough money to not "go with man". Ergo, they will try to support her full time. For some men, that is a mere pittance, because even rich men get <deleted>struck. :wub:

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unfortunately, on this one I have to disagree.There are men living in the west that are so devastated by western women that when they meet a cute Thai woman that makes them feel like a real man they lose the common sense part of their brain and feel that they have to throw as much money at said cutie as they possibly can. It has always been so through the centuries with men and cute women.

As the time comes near to leaving, they wonder how to keep said damsel intact for only them, and come up with a plan to give them enough money to not "go with man". Ergo, they will try to support her full time. For some men, that is a mere pittance, because even rich men get <deleted>struck. :wub:

I suppose it depends on just how wealthy the man is. There are no luggage racks on a hearse so they try to enjoy it while they can. As long as their donations don't affect their financial health, it's not a big deal. Unfortunately long distance relationships normally don't work out well in the long term.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There are thousands of locals waiting to talk to you in Bkk, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Phuket. You can find them sitting in small open sided structures and there will usually be a few young ladies looking at their phones or beckoning to their friend "hansum man" to join them and sit on high stools around the structure while they chat.

Just sit on one of the stools and purchase a beverage from one of the maidens to drink while you chat to them. If you like your maiden, you can buy her a drink too, or you can ask a different wench to sit with you. As time passes, you might like to play some games, like Connect 4. Then, once having had your fill of fluid, games and chat, feel free to pay the bill, include a tip if you like, and wend your way back to your residence alone.

My experience too after >36 years in this wonderful country. :smile:

And you may wonder what a dozen pretty girls are all doing hanging around a bar . They are all cashiers  , all twelve of them work as cashiers and they only started working there two days ago

Ha ha ha stop being sane max! . The dude needs to make his own mistakes.. It's the only way to truly learn.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where do I say that I assume you paid for the house? It is a fact that you can't own the land. It is also a given that if the marriage fails you will have to leave. I am boggled by your opinion that your ex wife would be happy to have you still living in her house should you get divorced. Wouldn't happen back in the west and doesn't happen in LOS, AFAIK. I look forward to your links to articles about such happening in LOS.

I do not and have not claimed that I know anything about your family. Where did I say otherwise?

The details about your wife are irrelevant to the subject, as is who pays for your insurance.

Lastly, there is no such thing as a "good girl" in the context that you use. There are girls, period.

Where did I say she would be happy to have me live in the house? The agreement as it stands is i will pay nothing for the house, however, due to my loss of income by living in Thai as naturally salaries are lower, if anything does happen the house/land will be sold and divided. What part of that means i will be living in the house? You can be as cynical as you like and think it wont happen, but what have I lost even if the agreement didnt stand up? Nothing. Thus, going back to the original topic, you can find a girlfriend/wife in Thailand, and one that is not after your money. Surely a girl who has some sort of morals is defined as a 'good' girl by definition. Maybe you just havent met too many 'good' girls to allow the word in your vocabulary anymore.

So you have made many sweeping claims without any research attached on numerous topics, and i generally do associate research to my claims (hence why you never reply to the actual relevant convos as research disproves your beliefs). Then you ask for research lol. A bit of consistency would be a good start. Isn't the whole topic about finding  a girlfriend/wife in Thai? So the details about her are actually much more relevant than your details about Nana. Why do you always argue relevance when everything that comes out of your mouth isnt relevant to anything? 

Thailand has a population of about 67 million people. There are loads and loads and loads of decent, attractive, educated Thai woman that would jump at the opportunity to 'make it' with a 29 year old westerner.. assuming your not hideous looking and obese. 

You can find them easily if you use non-conventional means. 

Stay away from Soi Nana.. (obvious)

Stay away from Thai friendly and dating websites 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Condoms prevent genital herpes too.

Dont know if this has been said yet, but this is not true at all. It may reduce some risk, but does not prevent. 

You can get the herp all over the groin & backside, same as women. Just takes skin contact to transmit. Only thing ur protecting is your shaft, and thats still not 100%. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always laugh when I see the sucker guy buying roses for them because he thinks they will impress the girl, but no Thai woman I ever met has a gene for romance.

I feel sorry for you that you have apparently never slept with a BG that is attractive enough that you'd like to do it again with her after you wake up in the morning.

And I feel sorry for you that you believe a women in thailand do not like Romance. 

Just thinking about this... Maybe it would be good to take some assertiveness classes there in the bay area and go after girls who are not too easy to pick up.  I have in the past chosen Asian girls who were very easy to get but now wish that I had been more assertive and gone after a quality girl.    The easy girls were easy to manage.  I could pick them up and dump them easily but I didn't get the quality of relationship that I wanted.  There were other girls around but I wanted the girls I could twist around my little finger.  Sometimes the girls who you have to work to form a relationship with turn out better in the long run.

7 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Where did I say she would be happy to have me live in the house? The agreement as it stands is i will pay nothing for the house, however, due to my loss of income by living in Thai as naturally salaries are lower, if anything does happen the house/land will be sold and divided. What part of that means i will be living in the house? You can be as cynical as you like and think it wont happen, but what have I lost even if the agreement didnt stand up? Nothing. Thus, going back to the original topic, you can find a girlfriend/wife in Thailand, and one that is not after your money. Surely a girl who has some sort of morals is defined as a 'good' girl by definition. Maybe you just havent met too many 'good' girls to allow the word in your vocabulary anymore.

So you have made many sweeping claims without any research attached on numerous topics, and i generally do associate research to my claims (hence why you never reply to the actual relevant convos as research disproves your beliefs). Then you ask for research lol. A bit of consistency would be a good start. Isn't the whole topic about finding  a girlfriend/wife in Thai? So the details about her are actually much more relevant than your details about Nana. Why do you always argue relevance when everything that comes out of your mouth isnt relevant to anything? 

YOU said "so will happily share half the house (they paid for) indeed if there is a termination to the relationship". Try being more specific if you don't mean share as in live in it together.

BTW, if she wants to divorce you or if you leave her good luck with getting half the money from the sale ( if indeed she wanted to sell it ). It would go against human nature to reward the one no longer wanted or loved.

Quite frankly I find it hard to believe that your Thai family would voluntarily give you money if the relationship doesn't work out.

Surely a girl who has some sort of morals is defined as a 'good' girl by definition.

You think there are girls in Thailand devoid of "morals"? 55555555555

In my long experience of the human condition in the health field, I find everyone ( except psychopaths/ sociopaths and monsters ) has "morals", though perhaps not as some would like them.

i generally do associate research to my claims

I don't recall much in the way of "claims" in your posts, other than "claiming" only "good girls" have morals.

I had a look back at what I wrote and I can't find anything asking for "research". Please point out where I did so.

Whatever I say about Thailand comes from my own research over very many years. I find the published stuff about Thailand by western media is normally 90% BS, though there is some by long time residents that is spot on.

Isn't the whole topic about finding  a girlfriend/wife in Thai? So the details about her are actually much more relevant than your details about Nana.

Indeed the topic is about finding a GF/ wife in LOS, but I think you took the only one prepared to take in a farang and support HIM without expecting anything in the financial sense. The OP is going to be looking among the 'normal" women of Thailand that do want the farang to financially support them and their family.

5 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

And I feel sorry for you that you believe a women in thailand do not like Romance. 

Not having been with every woman in Thailand I do not claim that ALL Thai women have no romantic gene, but then, I actually said "no Thai woman I ever met has a gene for romance". :smile:

6 hours ago, Aggressive said:

Dont know if this has been said yet, but this is not true at all. It may reduce some risk, but does not prevent. 

You can get the herp all over the groin & backside, same as women. Just takes skin contact to transmit. Only thing ur protecting is your shaft, and thats still not 100%. 

Would herpes on your backside be "genital" herpes then?

Can get herpes on the mouth too. Herpes must be one of the most common infections in people, as most people have cold sores, and as we know, herpes is forever.

However, I would venture that condoms would reduce the risk of getting them on the shaft significantly if not 100%, and that having sex without a condom with persons that may be having sex with other people increases the risk of an STD significantly.

BTW, this little aside is a good reason to always leave the light on if having sex with a stranger. At least that way one can see if they have herpes on their backside.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

YOU said "so will happily share half the house (they paid for) indeed if there is a termination to the relationship". Try being more specific if you don't mean share as in live in it together.

BTW, if she wants to divorce you or if you leave her good luck with getting half the money from the sale ( if indeed she wanted to sell it ). It would go against human nature to reward the one no longer wanted or loved.

Quite frankly I find it hard to believe that your Thai family would voluntarily give you money if the relationship doesn't work out.

Surely a girl who has some sort of morals is defined as a 'good' girl by definition.

You think there are girls in Thailand devoid of "morals"? 55555555555

In my long experience of the human condition in the health field, I find everyone ( except psychopaths/ sociopaths and monsters ) has "morals", though perhaps not as some would like them.

i generally do associate research to my claims

I don't recall much in the way of "claims" in your posts, other than "claiming" only "good girls" have morals.

I had a look back at what I wrote and I can't find anything asking for "research". Please point out where I did so.

Whatever I say about Thailand comes from my own research over very many years. I find the published stuff about Thailand by western media is normally 90% BS, though there is some by long time residents that is spot on.

Isn't the whole topic about finding  a girlfriend/wife in Thai? So the details about her are actually much more relevant than your details about Nana.

Indeed the topic is about finding a GF/ wife in LOS, but I think you took the only one prepared to take in a farang and support HIM without expecting anything in the financial sense. The OP is going to be looking among the 'normal" women of Thailand that do want the farang to financially support them and their family.

I have posted numerous studies from both the Thai government and Western governments on specific issues, and you know that. Just because you dont accept research and prefer to watch YouTube is your choice. But, please dont say I do not post research to back up my claims. You continue to ask for research but to this point have not referenced one of your claims with a study that would be accepted by any educational institute in the world. 

As for the 'only one'. If you read the comment, the common belief in Thai among middle class to high society is that if the farang moves for you then it is on you to support him to compromise on giving up such a comfortable life. That seems to be the general consensus i have heard and that is why that belief is told to my wife from many people in those class brackets. I am sure the OP does want a normal woman. A normal woman does split everything in half. Not ask for money like all post here suggest. So i am sure the OP is curious to know this, rather than just reading negative comments from grandpas because they married 20 year olds from the sticks (as you say). The guy is young so he has the chance to meet many kinds of women. I am sure if the grandpas were a choice for the more educated/richer girls they would definitely choose them.

You speak of all girls have morals, and then suddenly those morals just disappear if something happens? Generally, if you married someone then you have some deep history with the person and if it was to end you would still respect the person (as long as nothing was done to harm them), but it has just ended due to reasons beyond your control. Like i continually say, meet some girls with morals, not in the bars, and youll realise the country has many decent women. But please tell me what relevance your continual Nana comments have that trump the relevance of my experience of moving to Thai and finding a wife (the very definition of the OP).

5 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I have posted numerous studies from both the Thai government and Western governments on specific issues, and you know that. Just because you dont accept research and prefer to watch YouTube is your choice. But, please dont say I do not post research to back up my claims. You continue to ask for research but to this point have not referenced one of your claims with a study that would be accepted by any educational institute in the world. 

As for the 'only one'. If you read the comment, the common belief in Thai among middle class to high society is that if the farang moves for you then it is on you to support him to compromise on giving up such a comfortable life. That seems to be the general consensus i have heard and that is why that belief is told to my wife from many people in those class brackets. I am sure the OP does want a normal woman. A normal woman does split everything in half. Not ask for money like all post here suggest. So i am sure the OP is curious to know this, rather than just reading negative comments from grandpas because they married 20 year olds from the sticks (as you say). The guy is young so he has the chance to meet many kinds of women. I am sure if the grandpas were a choice for the more educated/richer girls they would definitely choose them.

You speak of all girls have morals, and then suddenly those morals just disappear if something happens? Generally, if you married someone then you have some deep history with the person and if it was to end you would still respect the person (as long as nothing was done to harm them), but it has just ended due to reasons beyond your control. Like i continually say, meet some girls with morals, not in the bars, and youll realise the country has many decent women. But please tell me what relevance your continual Nana comments have that trump the relevance of my experience of moving to Thai and finding a wife (the very definition of the OP).

Your language suggest Thai people are not generous. Isnt that what they're famous for? I knew 100 or so Thai back in Melbourne as i was deeply involved in the Thai community (spent 4 of my 7 days around Thai people). 80% would pay for my meals (other 20% half half) or for petrol if we had to go somewhere, would even give my dad presents on his birthday after meeting him a handful of times. It is the same here, i have been to many shops where i didnt have to pay for the things i needed. The three times ive been to a Thai bar i have had drinks sent to me from complete strangers. I really dont understand how you have formed this opinion of Thai people. Go out in the world and experience Thailand. Not every single person, whether in Thai or any other country, is so greedy like you suggest. Basic morals usually come from education and family (i am sure even you can find relevant research re that). So to the OP, move to Thailand, youll find similar societal trait, if not better traits here than back home.  

Would herpes on your backside be "genital" herpes then?

Yes man, yes it is. Same exact thing, different location, transmitted the same. Without getting into details Im sure you can think of a scenario where 'backside' can contact your 'frontside' 

Can get herpes on the mouth too. Herpes must be one of the most common infections in people, as most people have cold sores, and as we know, herpes is forever.

However, I would venture that condoms would reduce the risk of getting them on the shaft significantly if not 100%, and that having sex without a condom with persons that may be having sex with other people increases the risk of an STD significantly.

BTW, this little aside is a good reason to always leave the light on if having sex with a stranger. At least that way one can see if they have herpes on their backside.

HSV1 is typically on the face/lips and HSV2 Genitals including backside, inside of the legs, pubic area, nut sack, etc. 

Sure wear a condom of course but it won't stop a person from catchin' the herp' it just reduces a small percentage of surface area to exposure. 

I know your being sarcastic, but light on or off, you won't know. Even if they are not having an active outbreak, its still transmittable. Most people don't get the herp on the shaft anyway. 

Any who, I'm not attacking you here, by some freak of nature I don't have it (to my knowledge) but I have friends that do, male & female. Reading these posts in here I agree with most. Nothing wrong with having a good time with BG's and all that, but personally I would choose to keep it that way  -  fun. Possible friends. Not a relationship. 

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not having been with every woman in Thailand I do not claim that ALL Thai women have no romantic gene, but then, I actually said "no Thai woman I ever met has a gene for romance". :smile:

Even more reason to feel for you.

1 hour ago, Aggressive said:

Yes man, yes it is. Same exact thing, different location, transmitted the same. Without getting into details Im sure you can think of a scenario where 'backside' can contact your 'frontside' 

Fair enough. I was thinking more along the lines of shingles, but I get it now.

3 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Considering our little conversation hasn't been about research per se I don't know why you keep on about it, but never mind.

I don't think I've been on a lot about Nana, so I don't get that either, but never mind.

I said I did my research based on my own observation, nothing about U Tube, other than beautiful girls with fat ugly men, though that's entertainment, not research, but never mind.

the common belief in Thai among middle class to high society is that if the farang moves for you then it is on you to support him to compromise on giving up such a comfortable life. That seems to be the general consensus i have heard and that is why that belief is told to my wife from many people in those class brackets.

In that case we should all be marrying hi so Chinese/ Thai girls. BTW, how many million baht was your sin sod?

My point, if you missed it, is that everyone has morals, even bargirls.

You might also have missed my opinion that marrying a Thai woman is a gamble, and better to just have girlfriends.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Considering our little conversation hasn't been about research per se I don't know why you keep on about it, but never mind.

I don't think I've been on a lot about Nana, so I don't get that either, but never mind.

I said I did my research based on my own observation, nothing about U Tube, other than beautiful girls with fat ugly men, though that's entertainment, not research, but never mind.

the common belief in Thai among middle class to high society is that if the farang moves for you then it is on you to support him to compromise on giving up such a comfortable life. That seems to be the general consensus i have heard and that is why that belief is told to my wife from many people in those class brackets.

In that case we should all be marrying hi so Chinese/ Thai girls. BTW, how many million baht was your sin sod?

My point, if you missed it, is that everyone has morals, even bargirls.

You might also have missed my opinion that marrying a Thai woman is a gamble, and better to just have girlfriends.

I think you would find that when you ask someone for research to make a claim, as you did, then you also have to back up your own claims with, guess what, research. Naturally, when you ask for research and don't also provide relevant research then the other person will talk about, guess what, research!  As for the Nana discussion, you also constantly refer to 'relevance' but then talk about Nana. So please, if you want to continue the discussion on your terms, do not ask for research if you cannot also provide it, and do not talk about 'relevance' when your quotes have no relevance themselves. I hope that finally cleared it all up for you.

Why do middle class or high society have to be of a certain heritage? I know many rich Thai and I know extremely poor Chinese/Thai. I know full Thai families who were extremely poor, got scholarships just to go to 'government' schools, and now are very successful. 

Yes, if my family lived in the middles ages my Sin Sord would have been very high. Respected, high position family, wife no previous marriages/children, highly educated, very respected job. But as I have said many times, grow a pair, put your cards on the table and tell the family how it will be before you married. I always said i would not do Sin Sord as it is purely a class thing (keeping rich/powerful families together separate from the poor). I do not agree, like most farang don't. They recognised my point so we did a 'Christian' ceremony instead. With the big wedding later that night in the hotel. Sin Sord in the 20-30 age bracket generally is still only a factor for half of the girls I have mixed with. Why? Because in the past the number one reason for farang/Thai relationships ending was Sin Sord. So now families are slowly changing that element. As what is more important? The daughters happiness or 'face'. I guess the idea goes back to morals/education/circumstances again lol.

4 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I think you would find that when you ask someone for research to make a claim, as you did, then you also have to back up your own claims with, guess what, research. Naturally, when you ask for research and don't also provide relevant research then the other person will talk about, guess what, research!  As for the Nana discussion, you also constantly refer to 'relevance' but then talk about Nana. So please, if you want to continue the discussion on your terms, do not ask for research if you cannot also provide it, and do not talk about 'relevance' when your quotes have no relevance themselves. I hope that finally cleared it all up for you.

Why do middle class or high society have to be of a certain heritage? I know many rich Thai and I know extremely poor Chinese/Thai. I know full Thai families who were extremely poor, got scholarships just to go to 'government' schools, and now are very successful. 

Yes, if my family lived in the middles ages my Sin Sord would have been very high. Respected, high position family, wife no previous marriages/children, highly educated, very respected job. But as I have said many times, grow a pair, put your cards on the table and tell the family how it will be before you married. I always said i would not do Sin Sord as it is purely a class thing (keeping rich/powerful families together separate from the poor). I do not agree, like most farang don't. They recognised my point so we did a 'Christian' ceremony instead. With the big wedding later that night in the hotel. Sin Sord in the 20-30 age bracket generally is still only a factor for half of the girls I have mixed with. Why? Because in the past the number one reason for farang/Thai relationships ending was Sin Sord. So now families are slowly changing that element. As what is more important? The daughters happiness or 'face'. I guess the idea goes back to morals/education/circumstances again lol.

So you married a hi so family but didn't have to pay sin sod, even though they gave you a house etc.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on. 

Our conversation is over. Bye bye.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

So you married a hi so family but didn't have to pay sin sod, even though they gave you a house etc.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on. 

Our conversation is over. Bye bye.

Add my Facebook if you want...you can see my house, all the events i have to go to represent my family. Why is it all the old men on here don't believe you can marry a decent Thai women. GET OUT OF THE BARS AND MEET SOME GIRLS WHO ARE NOT HOOKERS!!!! 

How to handle the property settlement if it all goes egg shaped;

Mine is very simple. I bought a condo in my name before we were married. I live in her house upcountry that she had also built before we got married. Over the years I have westernized the house and added onto it as well as buying her a couple of small farms. If she were to throw me out, I would pack my bag and head for my condo. After all the years of putting up with me, I would  have no problem walking away from what I have bought for her. No bogus companies or crooked lawyers are needed. I would have a roof over my head and certainly would not miss any meals. I doubt that she will throw me out because she says she is too old to train a new husband. :smile:

ADDED - My wife was considered an old maid when I married her. She was 36 years old, never married and no kids. I paid no sinsod and had no wedding party. She is very independent and I doubt her parents even knew we were getting married. She has four sisters and no brothers. The sisters all chip in to support the parents. I have no idea how much and don't ask. It is her money. She actively farms and works part time for the electric company.

Edited by Gary A

On my way to the 7 this morning I passed a guy sitting on his bike staring into his 'phone. 'Morning' says he 'Look at my legs I've thrombosis and no more money to spend on hospitals. My girlfriend [sic] took off with another man together with all my money and valuables and even my passport, now the police don't want to know and the embassy told me there's nothing they can do' *gasp*.

Wish I had a hundred baht note for every time I  heard similar stories. The winner, so far, is 'I went back home for a month and when I got back my wife [sic] had sold the house and car'. Having said that, the guy who lost three houses and still looking for wife number 4 takes some beating. Takes a special needs kinda guy to seek a 'wife' here.

4 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

On my way to the 7 this morning I passed a guy sitting on his bike staring into his 'phone. 'Morning' says he 'Look at my legs I've thrombosis and no more money to spend on hospitals. My girlfriend [sic] took off with another man together with all my money and valuables and even my passport, now the police don't want to know and the embassy told me there's nothing they can do' *gasp*.

Wish I had a hundred baht note for every time I  heard similar stories. The winner, so far, is 'I went back home for a month and when I got back my wife [sic] had sold the house and car'. Having said that, the guy who lost three houses and still looking for wife number 4 takes some beating. Takes a special needs kinda guy to seek a 'wife' here.

I first heard this on my first visit, and it was a true story............... back in 1991 !

Put me wise to the situation, and hence, I have never been had off by Thais, only farangs !