Which towns/cities are best to visit?

Changwatchap

I've been living in BKK for the past few years and I want to know the North-east better. So far my only experience is visiting Korat and Buriram twice each. Buriram was really nice so I want to go further.

Where else in the north east is good to visit for half a week? Ideally on the train line. 

I was thinking sisaket because it looks similar to buriram. A nice quiet town to relax in. 

I've been living in BKK for the past few years and I want to know the North-east better. So far my only experience is visiting Korat and Buriram twice each. Buriram was really nice so I want to go further.

Where else in the north east is good to visit for half a week? Ideally on the train line. 

I was thinking sisaket because it looks similar to buriram. A nice quiet town to relax in. 

It's quieter than Buriram, thankfully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Sisaket was pretty boring, but I thought the same about Buriram (in both cases I'm talking about the provincial capital towns; both provinces have interesting Khmer ruins and stuff). 

Some of the towns and cities along the Mekong River are great. Khong Chiam in Ubon province is a relaxing little town and you can day trip to Pha Taem NP and some waterfalls from there. It's where the Mekong meets the Moon River so you get some great river views. I also like Ubon city the best out of Isaan's four major cities, friendly folks there, good food, some lively bars and interesting temples to check out. The Outside Inn is a great place to stay there. 

Further up the Mekong, Mukdahan is a lively city with a long riverside promenade and markets. Although I'd go further north still to That Phanom, which has one of Thailand's most sacred Buddhist sites and some really friendly locals. That's in Nakhon Phanom province, and Nakhon Phanom town is another one of my favorites, also very relaxing with old French-Indochinese architecture and great views across the Mekong to the limestone cliffs of Tha Khaek. Nong Khai is also a fun river town with more of an expat/traveler scene than you'll find anywhere in Isaan, other than Udon; I'm not a big fan of Udon city but Udon province has lots to see. 

I also like Phimai as a low-key small town with some good Khmer ruins. That's in northern Khorat province and pretty easy to reach from Bangkok (you could take the train to Khorat and transfer to a bus). 

Also Loei province has a lot going for it. The provincial capital is rather boring but beautiful scenery around Chiang Khan and also some good national parks in Phu Kradueng and Phu Ruea. 

Only a couple of these places (Ubon, Nong Khai) can be reached directly by train but Nok Air flies to most of the provincial capitals. 

If you are interested in pretty riverside towns, Nakhon Phanom is nice and Nogkhai is pleasant too.

If you are keen on Pattaya-style bars then Udon Thani would be a good chance.

If you like Tha-style bars, Khon Kaen is good.

If you want a pleasant town with very friendly locals that doesn't have a major foreign influence, Roi Et is recommended.

My personal feeling is that a lot of the major centres in E-sarn lack charm and you have more interesting times in the smaller towns.  To see them you need a motorbike or a car.

I have visited every province in E-sarn so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

20 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Has to be Ubon, but you probably need my bar crawl maps. Some people think it's a dead town - they haven't asked the right people!

33 minutes ago, larsstig said:

If you choose Ubon, I will recommend this hotel: https://www.facebook.com/Comepanghotel/

If you like smaller towns along the Mekong, I would recommend Nong Khai, Pak Khat and Mukdahan

Enjoy your trip !

Plus one.

The new trains are making the run now.

10 hours ago, mstevens said:

If you are interested in pretty riverside towns, Nakhon Phanom is nice and Nogkhai is pleasant too.

If you are keen on Pattaya-style bars then Udon Thani would be a good chance.

If you like Tha-style bars, Khon Kaen is good.

If you want a pleasant town with very friendly locals that doesn't have a major foreign influence, Roi Et is recommended.

My personal feeling is that a lot of the major centres in E-sarn lack charm and you have more interesting times in the smaller towns.  To see them you need a motorbike or a car.

I have visited every province in E-sarn so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Yes good info, I think a trip from Ubon to Loei following the river is great, no Train though.

I didn't think I would make it very long living in the NE, or anywhere far away from the ocean/salt water of some sort.   Has kinda grown on me though and I'm not sure why, how or when that happened.  Used to do trips to Patts or BKK but, other than in/out at Swampy, haven't been down to either in a year and a half.  :crazy:

Edited by 55Jay