Border Crossing Report: Chiang Khong

My girlfriend and I both attempted a border bounce at this crossing today and were detained at the arrivals desk for a round of questioning. 

UK passport holders

Entered Thailand in February with an METV 

Obtained an SETV from Penang in October

This would have been our first and only Visa Exempt entry

Inititially asked for exit flights out of Thailand, these were provided and so the tact changed to why we had been in the country for so long.

Asked as to whether we were working in Thailand. Asked where we were living. How we had arrived at the border crossing. How we had originally arrived in Thailand.

This continued for 20 minutes with a lot of flicking through our passports and a supervisor becoming involved.

Eventually given a 30 day permission of stay and an unofficial warning with nothing recorded in either passport.

You've spent the best part of a year in Thailand on a tourist visa.  That is quite a long time.  Of course, you might be legitimate travellers or you might be working.  It's not my place to comment on that.  But what I think IS good is the fact that Immigration took the time to question you and check before allowing you in.  They're doing their job and I think ultimately that's a good thing.

• Like 1

Chiang Kong used to be one of the easiest border crossing, before they built the bridge , I got 8 visa exempt stamps from there, even though the official limit was four at the time .

The last time that that I went there , a few months ago, they wouldnt initially let me back in, I got flagged by the computer .

Luckily enough the Laos side of the border had closed, (at 8 PM) and they begrudgingly gave me another VES .

They insisted that I show them a ticket out the Country , I asked whether a bus ticket would be sufficient and they said that it would be , I told them that Im staying in Chiang kong, so , how can I get a bus ticket to a place to where I already am ?

• Like 1

We are genuine tourists which is a shame, but I understand the need to scrutinise.

It was funny as I was marvelling at the large

"good guys in, bad guys out" poster as I headed to the desk. Clearly we're in the latter category.

Edited by Red13
Sense

10 hours ago, thai006 said:

u think i can go there ? i  just have a 1 entry in february 30 day and  now i  am on SEtv finish on 31 december ,  

In theory, yes, they should allow you to stamp in and out without question. In reality, who knows.

no big deal imo. the officer can ask what he wants. depending on his mood. i once was asked loads of Q at mae sot and after answering all friendly and patiently, the IO started complaing about his life, compared to us falang, we being rich, etc etc. (yet not given me my stamp back in). moaning continued for 20 minutes... the only thing i could do was listen (and dreaming about a nice cold leo). after half an hour he stamped me in. it was clearly a power-game showing who's the boss. i can live with that.