Motocycle Engine Import

sailaway2000

I ride a classic Honda GL400cc 1979 model (AKA the plastic maggot/twisted twin to those who know) that has turned the 100K clock at least once with me and who know how many times with previous owners.

It is fully registered with Green Book in my name.

But, the engine is tired and needs replacing. I've had some of the, presumably, best mechanics in Chiang Mai work on it but it just seems worse every time.

I have been offered a truly rare "crate" unused, 500cc engine from a source in the USA at a great price ($500 USD) and would like to have it shipped here as a replacement for my tired engine.

I understand importing a complete bike is nearly impossible, but what about a complete engine?

If possible, what would the tax difference be between a fully assembled engine and a partially assembled engine (e.g. front and rear covers removed, flywheel and other bits loose) but leave the block/crank/pistons etc intact?

And, as I am currently registered as with a 400cc engine, will there be a problem with the registration at DLT?

I'd like to make this happen in the next couple of months.  What are the possibilities?

Thanks

Did one for an HD I used to own. Over 10 years ago, so do not know if regulations have changed or not. Bill of sale, receipt of import duty and taxes paid, bring bike to DLT to have serial numbers checked via masking tape and pencil, change engine number in green book. Done. Now-a-days ... ??

17 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Did one for an HD I used to own. Over 10 years ago, so do not know if regulations have changed or not. Bill of sale, receipt of import duty and taxes paid, bring bike to DLT to have serial numbers checked via masking tape and pencil, change engine number in green book. Done. Now-a-days ... ??

Thanks for the reply.

I've been looking through the Customs site for what % tariff I would expect to pay, but can't find the 'code' to specify an engine or parts.  Do you recall what your tariff was?

The HS Commodity Code for motorcycle parts is 8714.10.90000, the duty applied is 30% and then 7% Vat all CIF Bangkok.  I have never imported motorcycle parts, but I do import farm harvesting combines and parts, sometimes full 40' containers. from the US, China and Japan.  I have everything shipped and consigned to my broker in Bangkok and they handle all import paperwork and delivery to me.  That way I know that the duty and VAT applied is correct and there is no under the table plus plus payments.  PM me if you want their contact, they are a reputable  international company and not a Thai Ma and Pa operation.

10 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Crate unused = new and will attract 30% import + 7 % VAT.

"used" on the other hand is 10% import + 7% VAT.

I don't know how you came up with the "used" 10% duty as there is no distinction in the HS Commodity system to differentiate between new and used parts.  The code is 8417.10.90000 and the duty is 30%.  I import both new, rebuilt and used parts and pay the same % duty on all.

Just now, wayned said:

I don't know how you came up with the "used" 10% duty as there is no distinction in the HS Commodity system to differentiate between new and used parts.  The code is 8417.10.90000 and the duty is 30%.  I import both new, rebuilt and used parts and pay the same % duty on all.

Ive imported used engines both for bike and car.

9 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ive imported used engines both for bike and car.

Like I said I've imported new, rebuilt and used farm equipment and there is no distinction in the HS system.  Duty is/was applied at the same rate to all all be it only 5% for combines and parts.This is a picture of a disassembled used John Deere 56620 combine that I imported.

DSC00886.JPG

2 minutes ago, wayned said:

Like I said I've imported new, rebuilt and used farm equipment and there is no distinction in the HS system.  Duty is/was applied at the same rate to all all be it only 5% for combines and parts.This is a picture of a disassembled used John Deere 56620 combine that I imported.

yeah cause a used car or bike engine is exactly the same as tractor parts.

bwahahahahaha.

Edited by Don Mega

47 minutes ago, wayned said:

They can also handle shipment and customs clearance from the US either by sea or airfreight.

Wayne-

Does your shipper also 'consolidate' shipments?  My total weight would be about 160 lbs. and size about 3'x3'x3' (27 sq. ft.).

Edited by sailaway2000

9 hours ago, sailaway2000 said:

Wayne-

Does your shipper also 'consolidate' shipments?  My total weight would be about 160 lbs. and size about 3'x3'x3' (27 sq. ft.).

Where in the US will the freight be coming from and where will it need to be delivered in Thailand??

Yes, they can consolidate shipments.  The consolidations will most likely be by sea freight, not air.  It is the cheapest but takes around 45 days from shipment in the US unless it will be shipped from the west coast.  Consolidations are put in containers and shipped by rail to the port in LA and then onward to Bangkok.

I also have another freight forwarder in the US that can consolidate shipments.

I'll send you the details and some additional info by PM as we cannot post emails here.

OP, I now found you to be the second owner who got a deal on a NEW crated Honda engine. Errm, may I ask where you found yours? 

I just bought a used engine for my big bike. Would love to get a new one though. AFAIK, only BMW used to sell them new and then at eye-watering prices.

On 12/26/2016 at 4:33 PM, wayned said:

The HS Commodity Code for motorcycle parts is 8714.10.90000, the duty applied is 30% and then 7% Vat all CIF Bangkok.  I have never imported motorcycle parts, but I do import farm harvesting combines and parts, sometimes full 40' containers. from the US, China and Japan.  I have everything shipped and consigned to my broker in Bangkok and they handle all import paperwork and delivery to me.  That way I know that the duty and VAT applied is correct and there is no under the table plus plus payments.  PM me if you want their contact, they are a reputable  international company and not a Thai Ma and Pa operation.

Wrong.

Motorcycle engines are classified in HS84.07 - with the sub-heading dependent on engine cc's. (8417 covers furnaces and ovens!!!!!)

6 minutes ago, dinga said:

Wrong.

Motorcycle engines are classified in HS84.07 - with the sub-heading dependent on engine cc's. (8417 covers furnaces and ovens!!!!!)

you got your numbers back to front there, wayned said 8714, not 8417.

HS code.jpg

1 hour ago, dinga said:

Wrong.

I don't know what HS Code book that you are looking at, but motorcycles are classified in 8417 with subheadings according to engine size, most at 60% duty.  Code 8417  are parts for codes 8711 to 8713 and there is no separate subheading for engines let alone sub-subheadins for engine size so they fall under classification 8417.  Actually 8417.19.00 at 30%.  Here's the whole AIFTA schedule, look for yourself. http://www.asean.org/storage/images/archive/22692.pdf

1 hour ago, dinga said:

Wrong.

I stand corrected and admit that I am wrong!!!

After further investigation the correct code for the engine is in fact what you said 8407 with sub-headings for engine size.  Since the engine is 500cc the correct code should be 8407.33.00 and the duty is 10% not 30% as I previously stated.  I'm sure that it will make sailaway2000 happy.

On 12/26/2016 at 4:49 PM, wayned said:

Yr right - but wayned actually quoted both (including the incorrect 8417 - I mistakenly attached the wrong post to mine).

9 minutes ago, wayned said:

I stand corrected and admit that I am wrong!!!

After further investigation the correct code for the engine is in fact what you said 8407 with sub-headings for engine size.  Since the engine is 500cc the correct code should be 8407.33.00 and the duty is 10% not 30% as I previously stated.  I'm sure that it will make sailaway2000 happy.

Quite right.  Based on my 40+ years of experience in this game, it's very dangerous for the inexperienced to try and figure out the correct HS Code - and hence duty rates - for goods.  There are legal notes that make it clear engines are NOT classified as 'parts for motorcycles' - contrary to what robot sites may suggest.

7 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

I’m also interested in the 10% import duty on used motorcycle engine parts? For a used “complete” motorcycle it’s true they have different import duty based on how old your motorcycle is. OF course importing a used / secondhand motorcycle generates a completely different set of problems, like obtaining a import license/permit...

But as Wayned says and engine is an engine new used 1 month old or from the stone-age the import duty is the same.

Fair enough, I guess the logistics people at my work have it wrong. Iam not complaining though !!

Edited by Don Mega