Visa Exempt Hop Savannaket

I have a mate that is on his 2nd visa exempt entry and wanted to visit Essan with us.  His plan is to take a bus from Mahasarakham to Laos (Savannakhet) and then return the same day to get 30 days exempt entry.  He holds a US passport.  Does anyone think he will have issues?  Should he stay overnight or just enter Laos then come straight back over the bridge?

Kurt

It would be easier for him to apply for a 30 day extension at the immigration office in Maha Sarakham for a fee of 1900 baht.

He would not have a problem getting another visa exempt entry if he chose to do that. Just cross and return is all that is needed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It would be easier for him to apply for a 30 day extension at the immigration office in Maha Sarakham for a fee of 1900 baht.

He would not have a problem getting another visa exempt entry if he chose to do that. Just cross and return is all that is needed.

He has already extended.  So he could cross and return the same day with now issues?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, kbelyeu said:

He has already extended.  So he could cross and return the same day with now issues?

Thanks.

Yes he could .

But he may as well go to the Thai Consulate in Savanakhet and get a free 60 day tourist visa , if he wants to stay for more than 30 more days on a VES

For the border crossing it toss up dependent upon where starts from in Maha Sarakham. The crossing at Chong Chom, Surin is  236 km and Mukdahan to Savannakhet it is 227 km. The advantage for Chong Chom is there is no bridge to cross just walk across the border.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

For the border crossing it toss up dependent upon where starts from in Maha Sarakham. The crossing at Chong Chom, Surin is  236 km and Mukdahan to Savannakhet it is 227 km. The advantage for Chong Chom is there is no bridge to cross just walk across the border.

I just realised I need to activate my next 90 days entry as well as my mates visa exempt so we'll pop down to Chong Chom and do both of ours.

Kurt

9 hours ago, khwaibah said:

The down side for Chong Chom is the Khmer charge you 1500 baht for their visa and another 300 baht for the u-turn, total of 1800 baht.

Having done visa runs at both, Savannakhet just last Thursday, I'd pick Chong Chom any day. Crossing the bridge is a pain and Thai and Laos Immigration officers there seem to be vying with each other to be the slowest and surliest.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Having done visa runs at both, Savannakhet just last Thursday, I'd pick Chong Chom any day. Crossing the bridge is a pain and Thai and Laos Immigration officers there seem to be vying with each other to be the slowest and surliest.

yup just done the Savannakhet run applying for a 1 year non o and not a smile to be had from any officials on the whole trip. So glad to be back.

17 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Yes, but I bet if I had to ruin many people's day for my job, I'd be surly too.  Every day you get up in the morning, and know that you will have to deny-entry to people, which will leave them devastated, angry, confused, etc - because the rules are not clear.

And if you let a real "bad guy" in, more hell to pay - and this hangs over your head constantly - again, because you cannot say, "I followed the published rules" (because there aren't any). 

You could not pay me enough to do that job.