Royal Thai Navy declares sand-beds ‘illegal’

rooster59

Royal Thai Navy declares sand-beds ‘illegal’

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2016122413313515_NAuPJHEQaWndqGzXqZHlrUsvtNGWzTeNUZcdgguG_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: The Royal Thai Navy has overturned the Patong Mayor’s ruling regarding beach mats laid out on raised beds of sand at Patong Beach, and declared that they are, in fact, "illegal". 

Rear Adm Pisai Sukawin, deputy commander of the RTN Third Area Command, handed down the verdict at a meeting yesterday afternoon, saying that regardless of the beds being in the 10 per cent zone, they will no longer be allowed on the beach.

“Some vendors have been setting up mats outside of the 10 per cent zones, and in order to avoid these problems in future, we believe it best to remove them entirely,” said R/Adm Pisai.

Other officials in attendance at the meeting included Phuket Vice Governor Snith Sriwihok as well as officers from the army, police and local beach management 'authorities'. 

The issue started after pictures of beds built solely of sand (with beach mats for tourists atop them) went viral on social media, with thousands of people sharing and celebrating the ingenuity of uneducated local villagers who were making a mockery of the rules against "beach loungers" (a.k.a. "sun beds") on Phuket's beaches. 

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Royal-Thai-Navy-declares-sandbeds-illegal/66035?desktopversion#ad-image-1

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-12-25

5 hours ago, The man from udon said:

At the end of the day it doesn't matter what they are made from,it's a sun lounger and  the mayor is an idiot and the navy are just following the law.in fact the navy want to look at the mayor and his dealings.

Do you mean her dealings? The mayor is a woman.

How do you know what the Navy intends?

9 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

It also does matter what they are made from. One af the arguments against the sand loungers is that in the tsunami they caused havoc.

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

It also does matter what they are made from. One af the arguments against the sand loungers is that in the tsunami they caused havoc.

After the tsunami, the heavy, wooden loungers were officially banned.

Many of the victims drowned after having limbs broken by these loungers.

The light, plastic loungers were allowed, though, towards the end, the heavy wooden loungers made a come-back.

44 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

I had no idea the mayor is a woman and it doesn't matter what gender holds the post of mayor of Patong.as for the navy's intentions,well they have declared the beds illegal and I say they intend to get them removed,Wether they do it or somchai with a spade does it,I have no idea.

55 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

I had no idea the mayor is a woman and it doesn't matter what gender holds the post of mayor of Patong.as for the navy's intentions,well they have declared the beds illegal and I say they intend to get them removed,Wether they do it or somchai with a spade does it,I have no idea.

No......you claimed that the Navy was going to look into the affairs of the mayor.

Please explain how you know this.

It's a way of giving the tourists what they want. Tourists, remember, are the people that bring a great deal of money into Phuket yet seem to be the last people considered when it comes to the so-called beach management programme.

The Navy should not be making decisions like this but unfortunately Thailand has a military government in place and this is what happens.

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Kindergarten time as always in Phuket.....children in uniforms !

Another victory notch in the belt for the Royal Thai Navy now having won the famous Battle of the Beach Beds without loss of life. And all done without using the aircraftless aircraft carrier.

A Victory Monument needs to be erected at Patong Beach in rememberence of this famous occasion. 

12 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It's a way of giving the tourists what they want. Tourists, remember, are the people that bring a great deal of money into Phuket yet seem to be the last people considered when it comes to the so-called beach management programme.

The Navy should not be making decisions like this but unfortunately Thailand has a military government in place and this is what happens.

Madame TAT should whisper in the shell like ear of PM Prayut otherwise her famous statistics might eventually end up going to hell in a handbasket.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

No......you claimed that the Navy was going to look into the affairs of the mayor.

Please explain how you know this.

Sorry again if my quote was wrong.it says want to look into the mayors dealings and I should of said ..should look into the mayors dealings.thankyou for picking up on my poor grammar.ill try not to let it happen again.as for the gender mistake..when they said mayor I took it to be a man.now if the said mayoress I would take it to be a woman...then I would still be wrong as this is probably politically incorrect to some people.my mistake again.i think im not going to win on this one.

Edited by The man from udon
Spelling mistake

7 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

Sorry again if my quote was wrong.it says want to look into the mayors dealings and I should of said ..should look into the mayors dealings.thankyou for picking up on my poor grammar.ill try not to let it happen again.as for the gender mistake..when they said mayor I took it to be a man.now if the said mayoress I would take it to be a woman...then I would still be wrong as this is probably politically incorrect to some people.my mistake again.i think in not going to win on this one.

For someone in Udon you obviously have extensive knowledge of the dealings of the Mayor of Patong. I live 7km away and know very little.

3 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

Obviously the mayor is totally unfit for her job for giving the green light to illegal activities.if she had done her job properly then the army,navy and police wouldn't of had to get involved.a great waste of time and tax payers money down the drain.

This has been deemed illegal by the Navy. Not exactly the Supreme Court, even under Prayut. If the vendor had a right to appeal under a democratic Government I have no doubt that the some may do so. Mats inside the 10% zone are perfectly legal. It's a mat on a mound of sand, that's the only difference. 

20 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

Sorry again if my quote was wrong.it says want to look into the mayors dealings and I should of said ..should look into the mayors dealings.thankyou for picking up on my poor grammar.ill try not to let it happen again.as for the gender mistake..when they said mayor I took it to be a man.now if the said mayoress I would take it to be a woman...then I would still be wrong as this is probably politically incorrect to some people.my mistake again.i think in not going to win on this one.

Sorry, nothing else to say but cocked up the multi quote function!

26 minutes ago, The man from udon said:

Obviously the mayor is totally unfit for her job for giving the green light to illegal activities.if she had done her job properly then the army,navy and police wouldn't of had to get involved.a great waste of time and tax payers money down the drain.

You are right !  Thank goodness for the brave Thai navy to save the  populous from the evils of "sand beds".  They have now legitimated military law and have added yet another glorious achievement to the list.  

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Jeez....god knows how many kids are going to be prosecuted for land encroachment now after making a sand castle.

A sandcastle is not quite the same as rows of body sized sand hills, is it. Everyone supported the beaches being returned to their natural state but now, because army, boo hiss. They're even more of an eyesore than the plastic beds which could at least be quickly removed, together with the fact they are still being used by all and possibly paid sundry for monetary gain on public land. You ever see molehills on a lawn? Same. Fugly.

2 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

Another victory notch in the belt for the Royal Thai Navy now having won the famous Battle of the Beach Beds without loss of life. And all done without using the aircraftless aircraft carrier.

A Victory Monument needs to be erected at Patong Beach in rememberence of this famous occasion. 

My feeling are, the reason the uniforms are that particular colour brown is so they don't show the stain, at the sound of a gunshot! :wai:

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Usually blame goes up the retribution ladder. Look at the space ship monk. They are filing new charges daily against him. Silly boy should have given up peacefully at the beginning greased a few palms and been on his merry way. Now his whole empire is crumbling. That is the problem when you get a God sorry Budda complex. 

Well I hope RTN don't actually walk up Patong Beach unannounced as 06.30 this morning the sand beds were all there awaiting the cushion pads to be put on, it looks a right state lol... and the stench towards the south end of the beach is quite Funky also, no way would I swim in the sea there... been like that last few weeks (I walk the full length of beach each morning) as part of my Flab-a-loss, beer belly program