drill into wall and avoid electric cables.

watcharacters

There's the metal detector gadgets but not sure if they are available in Thailand.  (?)  

I just notice where outlet and switch boxes are and avoid any space directly above or to right-angle (as to another box same height).  And, since common practice is to enclose cable in conduit you would notice bumping into that before damaging any enclosed wire.

13 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

pop the face plates off the power point and look and see which direction the wires run.

That's a good start and if there is some plastic conduit in the wall, that will be immediately noticeable. However I've come across many instances where cable is actually laid in the plaster in a wall and can come from anywhere, as I found out much to my disgust. So check carefully.

6 minutes ago, xylophone said:

That's a good start and if there is some plastic conduit in the wall, that will be immediately noticeable. However I've come across many instances where cable is actually laid in the plaster in a wall and can come from anywhere, as I found out much to my disgust. So check carefully.

And that's the operative question.   Checking..     How is the path chosen after the direction is established.    WE have left/right   and up and down.      Is it guaranteed the   path/install  will be based on the shortest distance between two points  or is there some other method of establishing that.     I'm not familiar with concrete walls when it comes  to  electrical installation.

31 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

There's the metal detector gadgets but not sure if they are available in Thailand.  (?)  

I just notice where outlet and switch boxes are and avoid any space directly above or to right-angle (as to another box same height).  And, since common practice is to enclose cable in conduit you would notice bumping into that before damaging any enclosed wire.

I've replaced a  shower flash heater in the house and discovered the cable was  just buried in the concrete and fed to the heater without any electrical  box (JB ) whatsoever.

I can only  assume the whole house is done with  buried cable and no conduit.

I'm hoping to avoid creating any  extra issues but if they  happen I know I'll just open the area wide enough to  splice the cable and motor on from there.    I hope to avoid   that scenario.     I just don't know where to buy the faded paint to paint my patch job on the concrete.     555

Archived