Engine Import

sailaway2000

I ride a classic Honda GL400cc 1979 model (AKA the plastic maggot/twisted twin to those who know) that has turned the 100K clock at least once with me and who know how many times with previous owners.

It is fully registered with Green Book in my name.

But, the engine is tired and needs replacing. I've had some of the, presumably, best mechanics in Chiang Mai work on it but it just seems worse every time.

I have been offered a truly rare "crate" unused, 500cc engine from a source in the USA at a great price ($500 USD) and would like to have it shipped here as a replacement for my tired engine.

I understand importing a complete bike is nearly impossible, but what about a complete engine?

If possible, what would the tax difference be between a fully assembled engine and a partially assembled engine (e.g. front and rear covers removed, flywheel and other bits loose) but leave the block/crank/pistons etc intact?

And, as I am currently registered as with a 400cc engine, will there be a problem the with the registration at DLT?

I'd like to make this happen in the next couple of months.  What are the possibilities?

Thanks

I think it is 30%. The thing to do is have the current owner contact a reputable shipping company in the US that regularly ships to Thailand like DHL. They can figure the shipping and import costs ahead of time plus they would have all the needed forms.

Good luck.

7 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

I think it is 30%. The thing to do is have the current owner contact a reputable shipping company in the US that regularly ships to Thailand like DHL. They can figure the shipping and import costs ahead of time plus they would have all the needed forms.

Good luck.

DHL are much more 'organised' than UPS. Do a forum search on it.