Process for buying or selling a motorcycle

Centrum

I wonder if it would be useful for someone to put together a post on the details of buying and selling a motorcycle in Thailand and 'sticking'  it to the top of the motorcycle forum.

Save sifting through the search function.

Thinking of paper work required, process at DLT, buying or selling from another province, buyer and seller responsibilities, things one needs to know.

Good idea?

Can be a nightmare as a Farang if only on a SETV/METV 

just find a Thai fixer who does bike Tax, Insurance and Green Book change - overs, pay them the extra 200Bhat or so and go have a coke and a smile, shoot the breeze... about a week later all done with no stress  (so I hear...)   :whistling:

I get you, it's not that you are looking for specific advice on this occasion - it's just that it would be good to see a sticky about buying and selling a bike here, right?

I agree, the thing is everyone has their own way - You will see above people putting forward their opinions. I don't need a fixer, never have done and I can't understand why people pay someone to do it ( there was a recent post about a fixer wanting 2000B+ and the guy did it himself after discussing it here for 200 or something )

Then different DLTs ask for different paperwork - some ask for a certificate of residence for the seller, some don't - some guy on my local fb group was insistent that my local DLT register bikes on production of a bank statement or mobile phone bill in your name.

There are other urban myths regarding buying a bike from out of the province.

You are better to search, make a judgement and speak to your local DLT, I have only good things to say about my two local offices, they are most helpful.

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

I get you, it's not that you are looking for specific advice on this occasion - it's just that it would be good to see a sticky about buying and selling a bike here, right?

I agree, the thing is everyone has their own way - You will see above people putting forward their opinions. I don't need a fixer, never have done and I can't understand why people pay someone to do it ( there was a recent post about a fixer wanting 2000B+ and the guy did it himself after discussing it here for 200 or something )

Then different DLTs ask for different paperwork - some ask for a certificate of residence for the seller, some don't - some guy on my local fb group was insistent that my local DLT register bikes on production of a bank statement or mobile phone bill in your name.

There are other urban myths regarding buying a bike from out of the province.

You are better to search, make a judgement and speak to your local DLT, I have only good things to say about my two local offices, they are most helpful.

Go talk to the Patong one ; C of R wanted, a 'Friend' of mine had a copy of his C of R issued two days before from Immigration Office, no use only original wanted... so a copy with all the official stamps, his pic and Pport info etc issued two days before is no good? this doc is currently 500B at Patong IO (hence a fixer at 200B and done with no faffing about - Thats why some people use these services) unfortunately required in a-hmm countries with dubious goings-on, as I said on a SETV/METV you will get the run-a-round, this also answers the OP that how can you have a sticky of required docs when they can be different not only at differing locations but depending what side of the bed the inspection dude got out of that morning or if he had a BJ - Good luck with that lol

Sabai Sabai...