Chiang Kong To Luang Prabang

mapletree

Four of us want to travel on the Mekong to Luang Prabang in mid-January. My 83-year old aunt with a bum hip but still in shape enough to win sailing races is one of the 4. My sister who is only moderately adventurous and likes comfort is another. Safety, sun protection, adequate--but not exceptional--comfort, and a good boating experience are primary. I want to see the Pak Ou caves also.

I got the name of the Luangsay company for 2-day trips but it's super expensive at about $350 USD each. Staying in a lodge, some food and several scenic stops are included. The price might be OK if it's really worth the cost difference (have to see it as once-in-a-lifetime family outing to make it seem worth the price) but that's what I'm wondering--is it really exceptionally better than other companies?

A friend quoted me a price of 2500 baht each for a 1-day trip but with no stops for another company. Includes lunch. The price is good but I don't know much else about the boat.

Seems like there are many other companies running this trip, too.

Has anyone traveled with a company they recommend? Can you tell me about it with the factors I named above in mind? Thanks for any advice or recommendations.

A person with a " bum hip" would have a lot of trouble on the cheap boats popular with backpackers. The seats are about one foot square and three inches high. Thats for 2 days.

Pak Ou cave is a short distance from LP. Can hire boats anytime from there.

A one day trip would be on a speed boat - not safe and very noisy.

You cannot go from Chiang Khong. You must cross over to Laos,Huay Xai. The boat will be a Lao boat & crew.