Baht Bus, How Much Do You Pay?

PattayaXpat

Baht Bus, How Much??  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

According to the poll there are a few brave souls who would pay the 5 baht, what surprises me the most is that some people are not bothered at all by the double pricing against falangs!

BTW

I have a moto, it's my primary means of transport. When I'm drinking I primarily use the moto taxis.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not brave enough or mean enough to pay 5bht.

Sometimes my journey is long sometimes short, 10bht seems fair

And to be honest, if I get on a ght bus and no one else is on it on gets on, I pay 20bht as I believe this is also fair.

I know of people ending up in hospital with a 2*4 round the back of their head for 100bht here in pattaya.

It is not worth the bother trying to save such little money,

If you live in Pattaya, you learn the correct fares to pay with a little experimentation. I still contend it is irrational to pay double when it is not necessary. Do you pay double for a bottle of milk at 7-11? Of course not. Who are you supporting by paying double when it is not necessary or even expected? I will tell you who. You are supporting the baht bus mafia. Baht buses are my primary means of transport. Sometimes I pay 5 baht, sometimes 10, sometimes 20. I know when to do this. Any intelligent person can do the same. I am never confronted in any way about this and don't expect to be in future. The reason I am against paying more than I have to is actually that I would like Pattaya to someday have the OPTION of legal taxi meters like Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Who stops this? The baht bus mafia. So I will not overpay a MAFIA.

Another factor is that there no TRANSFERS in the baht bus system.

Not having some taxi meters on the streets of Pattaya/Jomtien is actually quite a bad situation. Perhaps you are having a medical emergency and want a quick aircon taxi to the hospital. Perhaps it is raining heavily and you don't wish to get drenched in a baht bus. Pattaya needs taxis!

OK, now that I have vented, I would like to say that nine times out of ten (when it isn't raining heavily or you aren't stuck in traffic breathing in heavy fumes) the baht bus system is convenient, cheap, and sometimes even a pleasure. Very entertaining people watching. And compared to Phuket we have got it great! But it could be better yet, with the option of a limited number of taxi meters.

Edited by Jingthing

My favorite part of this never ending discussion is the ones that say to pay 10 baht violates some principle. No mention of the fact that they are taking a baht bus to go to a bar to pickup a third world prostitute.

I am really impressed with their principles.

TH

Edited by thaihome

Most bath busses have a fare structure, in Thai, posted in the back. I cant read what it says but I thing the fares posted runs from 3 to 20 Bath.

As for the dubble price for farangs I think it's only fair. In general, there are exceptions, a farang take up twice the space of a Thai. Only in exceptional cases have I seen more than 8 farangs in a bath bus but a bath bus with more than 15 thais is not that uncommon.

Most farangs will wave on a bath bus with a lot of people and take the next, I have never seen a Thai do that, they always squeez in.

According to the poll there are a few brave souls who would pay the 5 baht, what surprises me the most is that some people are not bothered at all by the double pricing against falangs!

BTW

I have a moto, it's my primary means of transport. When I'm drinking I primarily use the moto taxis.

Exactly how I go arround too. Most of the traffic problem we have in Central Pattaya comes from hundrets of Bath buses. Many are empty, just driving arround, honking there horn and darken the view with dieselfumes. So, there must still be enough money to be maid for them. Half of them would be enough, everybody would have a provit. Less travic, less polution, less noise and faster transport. That would be the time for me going back to use a Baht bus.

The difference, 5 Baht, equates to 0.07GBP (7 pence) which is sod all. I've known guys nearly get an intimate introduction to a length of 3/4" rebar over the 5 Baht. If the 5 Baht means that much to you you are in the wrong country so combine sex and travel (<deleted> off!) and go back to farangland and see what you get there for the same money. All this talk of "principal" is just so much superheated flatulence designed to cover up the fact that such people are nothing more than kinneo maak maak. :o

Couldn't have put it better myself.. Well said that man

If you live in Pattaya, you learn the correct fares to pay with a little experimentation. I still contend it is irrational to pay double when it is not necessary. Do you pay double for a bottle of milk at 7-11? Of course not. Who are you supporting by paying double when it is not necessary or even expected? I will tell you who. You are supporting the baht bus mafia. Baht buses are my primary means of transport. Sometimes I pay 5 baht, sometimes 10, sometimes 20. I know when to do this. Any intelligent person can do the same. I am never confronted in any way about this and don't expect to be in future. The reason I am against paying more than I have to is actually that I would like Pattaya to someday have the OPTION of legal taxi meters like Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Who stops this? The baht bus mafia. So I will not overpay a MAFIA.

Not having some taxi meters on the streets of Pattaya/Jomtien is actually quite a bad situation. Perhaps you are having a medical emergency and want a quick aircon taxi to the hospital. Perhaps it is raining heavily and you don't wish to get drenched in a baht bus. Pattaya needs taxis!

OK, now that I have vented, I would like to say that nine times out of ten (when it isn't raining heavily or you aren't stuck in traffic breathing in heavy fumes) the baht bus system is convenient, cheap, and sometimes even a pleasure. Very entertaining people watching. And compared to Phuket we have got it great! But it could be better yet, with the option of a limited number of taxi meters.

Thank you for writing this - saved me the trouble.

A word of caution to all baht bus customers: Beware of pickpockets.

I pay 5, 10, or 20. Depends on the distance. Have had only 1 altercation in 20 years.

Thank you for writing this - saved me the trouble.

A word of caution to all baht bus customers: Beware of pickpockets.

I pay 5, 10, or 20. Depends on the distance. Have had only 1 altercation in 20 years.

JingThing and Tammi said it all really. When I pay 5 baht for a short tripI will pay 10 if the driver asks (almost never happens). I do this before things get out of hand or it becomes a matter of face. I know this is wrong in principle (if you have to pay double because you are a farang this is racism pure and simple), but I do not feel that strongly to make a big fuss.

Once again I have to take the side of the baht bus drivers. They are trying to make a living and paying 10 baht is not going to hurt the average farang. There are many Thai people who are going to and from work. If they are lucky, they will be earning maybe 150 baht per DAY! I would expect them to get a substantial discount. Whore-mongers going from bar to bar should not object to paying more. Many of us are here on holiday and that little bit of money is a VERY tiny portion of the total expenditure. I live here and have three vehicles. I am quite happy to leave them parked and to take advantage of the baht buses. It is a great and reasonably priced service and if my paying double what the working Thais pay, I am happy to do that.

I've paid 5bht and no hassles - because they know you know the correct price and speak a bit of Thai. However if I pull out a 20bht note, I know I'll get 10bht back instead of 15bht, just how it works. (won't argue over nothing because in the end its simply not worth it)

Edited by britmaveric

Once again I have to take the side of the baht bus drivers. They are trying to make a living and paying 10 baht is not going to hurt the average farang. There are many Thai people who are going to and from work. If they are lucky, they will be earning maybe 150 baht per DAY! I would expect them to get a substantial discount. Whore-mongers going from bar to bar should not object to paying more. Many of us are here on holiday and that little bit of money is a VERY tiny portion of the total expenditure. I live here and have three vehicles. I am quite happy to leave them parked and to take advantage of the baht buses. It is a great and reasonably priced service and if my paying double what the working Thais pay, I am happy to do that.

I was all ready to second your post 100% until "Whore-mongers going from bar to bar should not object to paying more."

What an idiotic statement...

Many of YOU on holiday don't mind paying more....neither do most of us who live here...be we whore mongers or pillars of virtue like you.

Is this some kind of white man's burden guilt?

So you pay the "poor" baht bus driver double.

Good on you. Aren't you the big man?

Or is it really you are afraid and have no balls and think they will beat you with a baseball bat if you don't pay the mafia double?

How about leaving a 100 baht tip on every 100 baht meal? Those waiters work hard!

How about when buying a 100 baht movie ticket paying the clerk another 100 baht. Clerking is hard work.

And now that were at it, come on you fat Europeans and UKers with your fat big strong money, cut some poor Yanks with their impotent dollars a break, buy them a beer, and not some crappy Chang, OK, mate?

Edited by Jingthing

Boy life is so much simplier in Issan, we pay what everyone else does, never occured to me it would be any different.

But the bright lights of Pattaya are nice once awhile as well :o

Here is a question:

Would there be such a baht bus service in Pattaya if it were not for tourists paying more in the first place?

I was all ready to second your post 100% until "Whore-mongers going from bar to bar should not object to paying more."

What an idiotic statement...

Many of YOU on holiday don't mind paying more....neither do most of us who live here...be we whore mongers or pillars of virtue like you.

I just happen to belong to a couple of whore-monger forums. I find it strange that the same guys who pay 125 baht for a beer and 150 baht for a caramel colored lady drink are the same ones who cry the loudest about paying 10 baht for a baht bus to the next bar. Where is the logic in that? Did I miss something?

Pillar of virtue??? This pot will NEVER be guilty of calling the kettle black. I do, however, call them how I see them. The majority of my friends are whore-mongers. :o

Boy life is so much simplier in Issan, we pay what everyone else does, never occured to me it would be any different.

Here is a question:

Would there be such a baht bus service in Pattaya if it were not for tourists paying more in the first place?

Well, there are lots of Baht Buses all over Thailand, but Pattaya seems to be the only place where farangs are doublecharged. Make your own conclusions ....

PS: I pay 10 Baht.

Sunny

After reading all the responses I've decided to become part of the 5 baht club when it is a 5 baht ride (With conditions). I seldomly take the buses but I've been coming here long enough to have a pretty good idea of what the prices should be.

The conditions will be:

1) I'll be more than fair. I will only pay 5 baht when it's a very short trip

2) I will always have correct change. I feel ridiculous even writing that. I'm dealing with people who handle primarily 5 and 10 baht coins all day long, but if I don't hand them the correct change then they suddenly "No Have" or try and give me back as little as possible

3) I will not argue over the fare. If they ask for the 10 baht I'll tell them something to the effect of

" Tam Mi? Ha baht tamada". If they still want the 10 I'll give it up and walk away, probably with a smile.

I honestly do believe that the drivers have a tough job and the majority of them are good people. They are in a tough spot, there are too many of them competing for the same fares with no regulation what so ever. I do not know what fees thay pay to the "Mafia" but I'm sure that they are not in the drivers favor.

I have used the baht buses for moving from one place to the other, delivering furniture etc. and had mixed results, I would say 50/50 on what I would consider fair pricing. The easiest thing to do is to send a Thai to do the negotiating ahead of time to get a fair price.

I do believe that it's important for people to at least realise that they are being singled out to over pay and it makes no diffrence what so ever if your a whore monger, a drinker.... even the average cheap charly who lives here is putting money in to the local economy, many times as much or more than a middle class Thai and I don't believe that he should be blatantly ripped off.

If you think that it's ridiculous to even question this than please give your opinion here:

Double Pricing?

there is a red bus service that leaves lotus sukumvit rd jomtien and complets a full round trip, it takes about 1.45 min to complete and there are about 3-4 running that bus route it cost 20 baht getting on anywhere on route and getting where siuts you or take the round trip for sightseeing if you wish, has a/c.

i try and explain the route>>

leaves from lotus sukahavit and heads east turns right into soi chuayapok runs down to the beach road in jomtien where it then turns right then heads to pattaya stopping for anyone that wants the service, it runs up thapparaya road passing viewtalay condo and runs onto pattaya 2nd road it continues along pattaya 2 rd past big c and the dolphin round about where it takes the road to Nakulia, then after passing the markets there it heads up to sukumvit road where it turns left heading to Lam chabung, it does a u turn at the overpass or the (road that leads to rayong), and heads back to Lotus in Jomtien via sukumvit road.

i find this red bus very good service has air con no hassles and 20 baht for as long as you like.

they are suppose to run every 30 min or so but i am not sure.

I think of Koh Samuii when I see posters write 'pay what they ask, you can afford it.'

I first went to Samuii twelve years ago.You got on a baht bus and wherever you got off[the other side of the island even]you paid 10 baht.

I was last there five years ago. The baht bus drivers asked what they wanted and drove off if you were not happy with the european rates they were demanding.

I blame this on the holidaymakers who work fifty weeks a year and spend their all savings on their 2 weeks annual overseas holiday.

Pattaya will go the same route if you allow yourselves to be trodden on.Not a question of 'principle' just a question of standing up and being counted.

I read somewhere that they are demanding 300 baht from Samuii airport to your hotel.

This is my first time posting a poll, so please give me a break if the formats wrong.

So you live here and take advantage of the main public transport, a baht bus. Maybe you speak a little Thai, you understand just how far your baht will go in this country so you are "thrifty". You hop on a Baht Bus, you've only gone a short way and you know darn well thet the fare should be 5 baht or less.

Do you avoid confrontation and just over pay?

Cheap Charlys, my brothers, please chime in!!

looking at other posts, the key is having the right change. i have given 5 baht for the run along second road (soi post office to soi 6) and never had any arguments. similar from soi 6 back to walking street along the beach. i try and avoid the m'cycle taxis but forked out 80 baht from soi postoffice to jomtien beach condo once. picked an older, slower driver tho' (like myself).

but as another post pointed out, it's pennies versus the principal here and if it's less than 5 bahts worth, use the wide, uncluttered sidewalks that city hall has provided for you.

and a note to another post, there are very few (if any) owner/drivers in pattaya so the owners, who may have more than a few baht buses, are the ones that will have the millions to send their children to school overseas.

Pattaya is a fairly well-defined little bubble of double-pricing. No need to go so far as Issan to compare... a scant 30 km away here and it's 3 baht for all.

Don't use the bath busses, just boycot them. Buy or rent a bike, they're cheap and if enough people consistently boycott the baht busses perhaps they will one day disappear and be replaced by proper metered taxis.

right. and just to think 15 years ago, when city hall floated the (first) attempt at having a regular city bus system, we all clapped our hands and prepared to bury the baht bus forever. foreign tourists demanded a better form of transport rather than be like cattle in the back of a pickup was the reasoning at the time. the more things change...

traffic is bad enough with the mix of baht buses, buses, m'cycle taxis and privately owned vehicles but i reckon we can squeeze another lane in for the metered taxi.

traffic is bad enough with the mix of baht buses, buses, m'cycle taxis and privately owned vehicles but i reckon we can squeeze another lane in for the metered taxi.

Getting rid of baht busses is the first step to resolve the traffic problem. Just look at the baht busses circling 2nd and beach road - 3 of 4 drive around empty!! Get them off the road would provide ample space for metered taxis.

Besides, you tourists tend to forget that most of the permanent residents here live on the other side of sukhumwit - which is not served by baht busses. Sure, you can charter a bahtbus - for 200 baht. The correct metered fare would be something like 50, and provide a relatively clean indoor aircon'd ride and not riding like cattle in the back of a pickup truck.