Extending a SETV

Just a very quick question.  Currently here on a SETV, I have 29 days left on it before I must leave. I wish to change my return flight date (uk) and extend my visa for another 30 days . In what order do I do this ?  Change ticket first then extend visa or change the visa first then change my travel date?  and when is the best time to go to immigration,  i.e.  Now or in a couple of weeks time?

Edited by andypatt
Something I forgot to ask in original topic

You should apply for the extension of stay (not visa) about one week before your current permission to stay ends.
Chances that the application is rejected are close to zero.

So you could risk to change the flight booking now.

Where do you stay (which immigration office to go to)?

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Chances that the application is rejected are close to zero.

That's what I thought when I extended my tourist visa until I was rejected by Sri Racha because my condo had not done the TM30 (informed immigration within 24 hrs of my arrival).

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

That's what I thought when I extended my tourist visa until I was rejected by Sri Racha because my condo had not done the TM30 (informed immigration within 24 hrs of my arrival).

I have to admit the management office at the place where I stay don't seem to take it very seriously either and I don't like the idea of relying on someone else to do the reporting .

does a Visa Holder have the option of reporting themselves by simply visiting the immigration office every time that person moves around and comes back from somewhere and at least then there wouldn't be any problem with being issued the extension?

Edited by Asiantravel

11 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

I have to admit the management office at the place where I stay don't seem to take it very seriously either and I don't like the idea of relying on someone else to do the reporting .

does a Visa Holder have the option of reporting themselves by simply visiting the immigration office every time that person moves around and comes back from somewhere and at least then there wouldn't be any problem with being issued the extension?

It depends on the immigration office. Sri Racha = No (Condo must inform). Pattaya = Yes (Visa holder may do it, (sometimes, on a good day)).

18 minutes ago, Asiantravel said:

The official rule is that anyone can submit the TM-30, but the correct documentation must be submitted with it. If you are not considered the householder or owner, you need the correct signed documents from whoever is when you submit the report. The best way, IMHO, once you have determined what is needed, get about a dozen identical but undated copies and submit one each time it is necessary without disturbing the householder/owner again. It is a pity you cannot preemptively submit a dozen TM-30 notifications in advance, and must remember where you keep all the copies.

44 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The official rule is that anyone can submit the TM-30, but the correct documentation must be submitted with it. If you are not considered the householder or owner, you need the correct signed documents from whoever is when you submit the report. The best way, IMHO, once you have determined what is needed, get about a dozen identical but undated copies and submit one each time it is necessary without disturbing the householder/owner again. It is a pity you cannot preemptively submit a dozen TM-30 notifications in advance, and must remember where you keep all the copies.

So do you  know if all this TM30 information is immediately fed into a computerised database and is that database linked to all the immigration offices nationwide so they can keep track of my history ?

I normally stay in Pattaya but last month I was up in Chiang Mai and my visit coincided with needing to obtain a new extension. I stayed in a serviced apartment and the very next day after my arrival in CM I went to the immigration office there and obtained an extension. 

In Chiang Mai the immigration office didn’t even ask for a TM30  and  I know that the staff at the serviced apartment would not have had time to even report my arrival because I was in the immigration office at 8:30 AM day after my arrival.

I just can't see how immigration office staff can keep up with all this.

5 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

So do you  know if all this TM30 information is immediately fed into a computerised database and is that database linked to all the immigration offices nationwide so they can keep track of my history ?

I normally stay in Pattaya but last month I was up in Chiang Mai and my visit coincided with needing to obtain a new extension. I stayed in a serviced apartment and the very next day after my arrival in CM I went to the immigration office there and obtained an extension. 

In Chiang Mai the immigration office didn’t even ask for a TM30  and  I know that the staff at the serviced apartment would not have had time to even report my arrival because I was in the immigration office at 8:30 AM day after my arrival.

I just can't see how immigration office staff can keep up with all this.

My understanding is that the immigration office receives all the TM30 reports for their area. Receipt is online from those with an online account (hotels and possibly large condos) and manually for others. I could be wrong, but I do not think the manual reports are entered into the computer for access outside the area the report was done.

It is a stupid system, and I think most immigration officials are aware of this. However, in Thailand, officials do not question the orders of their superiors. A few enlightened offices, with intelligent senior officials,  ignore the system, but the majority feel obliged to enforce it.

• Like 1

In answer to Brit Tim's point.

I live in Sri Racha.

My condo had last filled out a TM30 6 years ago when I initially rented my current condo.

On Sri Racha immigration's computer, the only address they had for me was a hotel in Nakhon Phanom which I had stayed at earlier in 2016.

So this does tend to support Brit Tim's points made above. Online TM30's automatically recorded, manual not.

I personally suspect there is no consistency in the way TM30's are dealt with administratively and in terms of data entry.

• Like 1