Ministry of Interior launches road safety center for New Year's holiday

webfact

Ministry of Interior launches road safety center for New Year's holiday

BANGKOK, 29 December 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Interior has launched its center for road accident prevention and reduction for the New Year’s 2017 holiday season, affirming it will strictly manage road traffic during the so-called 7 Dangerous Days. 

Interior Minister Gen Anupong Paojinda chaired the opening of the New Year’s 2017 Road Accident Prevention Center, this year working under the concept “Thoughtful Driving, Adherence to Traffic Laws”. The center is to stringently maintain road safety during the so-called 7 dangerous days of the New Year’s holiday from December 29 to January 4. 

A program being utilized by the Ministry of Interior is the “1 Locality, 1 Safe Road” approach, which will see local administrations working to ensure absolute safety on one road of their jurisdiction. Officials are to address any causes for danger such as rail crossings and intersections. 

Gen Anupong especially asserted officials should keep public transport vehicles in check while reminding commuting citizens to respect the holiday and not drink while driving. He assured officials will work to their utmost during the 7 day period to ensure safety for all travelers. 

The minister concluded his opening speech by reminding the nation is still in a state of mourning due to the passing of His Majesty the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej and urged all to be respectful of the fact.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-12-29

the police had a check point here at Long earlier and i went for a walk and after 2.5 hrs they had 27 motor bikes 7 cars and 2 local single axel trucks parked up, 1st time i have seen them park them at that check point, 1.30 pm and all gone now so back to usual no helmets etc

Days are passing, and so far only seen one tent where they check some semi trucks and interrupting the traffic. If I was in charge I would stand on every single minor soi on shifts and just grab them. If that would happen and I get 10 baht per violence of traffic rules I would be a millionaire in a day or two and get my Mercedes.

No shortcut for traffic police officers. Write a fine, get it registered in the system and give the officer a bonus. Normal salary + 5% of the given fines. Tea money should then be eased out as there will be a ranking, which should be posted internally and make the monthly traffic officer :-)