Non O Single Enrty-change To 1 Year Multiple. Possiible At Immigration?

I was just looking at the forum and this got my brain going.

( Yes, I know,this is a terrible thing to do. I try to avoid it when possible)

But... I have stated before that I have a Non o single entry. Yes I know that an extension can be

done. Thai visa informed me and I have also confirmed it to be ok with an immigration official too..

Is it possible and semi painless to change the single entry non o into a multiple entry Non o ?

This Non o is based on Children and not a wife coming any where near into contension. Only the

Kids... And only from inside Thailand is what I want to know..

And if yes...Saying that I go forthe extension first..Is it possible to do so after i get the extension?

or should it be done from the get go?

As for now I prefer to do the extension and then go for the change..

What do ya think?

Thanks

Uncletom

I was just looking at the forum and this got my brain going.

( Yes, I know,this is a terrible thing to do. I try to avoid it when possible)

But... I have stated before that I have a Non o single entry. Yes I know that an extension can be

done. Thai visa informed me and I have also confirmed it to be ok with an immigration official too..

Is it possible and semi painless to change the single entry non o into a multiple entry Non o ?

This Non o is based on Children and not a wife coming any where near into contension. Only the

Kids... And only from inside Thailand is what I want to know..

And if yes...Saying that I go forthe extension first..Is it possible to do so after i get the extension?

or should it be done from the get go?

As for now I prefer to do the extension and then go for the change..

What do ya think?

Thanks

Uncletom

Get the extension first Tom. Once you do that, you can get a multiple entry re-entry permit for the remainder of the one year since you entered Thailand on that visa. Then you have a better equivalent than a multi entry visa, and without the compulsory 90 day visa runs.

Visa are issued by embassies/consulates out of Thailand. Immigration does not issue visas so they cannot change a single entry visa to a multiple entry visa. All Immigration does is grant extensions to stay and re-entry permits against various types of entry stamps, they have nothing to do with visas.

TH

Immigration has the authority by law to issue visas and do so as a change of type on a regular basis.

But poster is not clear on what he wants. He says immigration says he can extend his stay on the basis of children? Only if over age 50 and planning to live with them under current rules. So if that is the case a one year extension and a multi re entry permit would be the best plan; as Dr Pat advised.

You can not obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa inside Thailand.

Good afternoon...

Ok. I will try to make it a little more clear.

My single entry Non O was given because I have children. Two to be exact. Proof with birth

certs and Mothers i.d card. I never wanted to marry this one, for I was married twice before

and I didn't want to make the third a charm. And after 8 years we are still going strong.

Now Sunbelt Asia told me that i can extend on this for the purpose of visit. Not to stay with.

But in the long run ofcourse this is my intention. And probably all of ours..

So after my extension, Which I will do under the police order for vistit, can I convert my

single entry Non O into an on going multiple entry visa.

And I am not 50 years old. I am in my forties.

Being 40 + is good and bad. 1. Good for I don't want to rush getting older and at least I

am still in the 40+ club. But 2. I lose out on a privelegde fro immigration.

I just want to know. To convert or To cannot convert. That is the question....

thanks

Uncletom

If you are not going to get married you are not going to obtain an extension of stay from immigration under current rules (other than the short visit type).

You may be able to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa (one year validity for 90 day stays) from Singapore or maybe Kuala Lumpur in the local area. But the best place to obtain is normally your home country.

If you are not going to get married you are not going to obtain an extension of stay from immigration under current rules (other than the short visit type).

You may be able to obtain a multi entry non immigrant O visa (one year validity for 90 day stays) from Singapore or maybe Kuala Lumpur in the local area. But the best place to obtain is normally your home country.

Not from Singapore.

I tried, got refused, only issued with single entry 3 month O VISA

Immigration has the authority by law to issue visas and do so as a change of type on a regular basis.

I agree with what you say, but technically don't all they do is change the entry stamp or re-entry permit?

I mean, if you are already in Thailand, why would immigration need to do anything with visas? All they need to do is give extension to stays and re-entry permits even if it is different then the visa (or no visa). Even if someone comes in on 30 day visa exempt and then gets a 1 year extension based on employment, marriage, or retirement, does immigration just give a new permission to stay stamp? They don’t put a visa in the passport do they?

I stay on a Non-Imm “B” extension to stay, but there is no Non-Imm “B” visa in my passport (I originally came in on a “O”), just permission to stay stamps and re-entry permits.

TH

If you want a one year extension of stay you must have a non immigrant visa. Immigration issues that visa from a tourist visa entry, and recently even from a visa exempt entry. It is a separate process using a TM.86 form and costing 2,000 baht.

Details here under change visa. They only do this if you meet their set of requirements (which basically is you qualify for an extension of stay if you have the visa).

Good afternoon...

Ok. I will try to make it a little more clear.

My single entry Non O was given because I have children. Two to be exact. Proof with birth

certs and Mothers i.d card. I never wanted to marry this one, for I was married twice before

and I didn't want to make the third a charm. And after 8 years we are still going strong.

Now Sunbelt Asia told me that i can extend on this for the purpose of visit. Not to stay with.

But in the long run ofcourse this is my intention. And probably all of ours..

So after my extension, Which I will do under the police order for vistit, can I convert my

single entry Non O into an on going multiple entry visa.

And I am not 50 years old. I am in my forties.

Being 40 + is good and bad. 1. Good for I don't want to rush getting older and at least I

am still in the 40+ club. But 2. I lose out on a privelegde fro immigration.

I just want to know.

To convert or To cannot convert. That is the question

thanks

Uncletom

Convert what? To get the 60 day extension for visiting your children? That is your only option now inside Thailand with regards to your kids and your case.

The other option is to get a job.

The other option is to get a multi entry visa outside Thailand. Singapore will only grant a 90 day and after much argument to even get that.

Another option is to support your children. You do this with a 30 day tourist visa exemption stamp. Have 400K in the bank and convert this to a 90 day "O" visa. However when you go to do the extension, you will not qualify except for a 60 day visit extension of stay. ( Extension of stay rules are different than change from a tourist visa exemption stamp)

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

If you want a one year extension of stay you must have a non immigrant visa. Immigration issues that visa from a tourist visa entry, and recently even from a visa exempt entry. It is a separate process using a TM.86 form and costing 2,000 baht.

Details here under change visa. They only do this if you meet their set of requirements (which basically is you qualify for an extension of stay if you have the visa).

Actually this confirms my point. the title of the form is:

Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

They change your visa status and give you the appropriate permission to stay stamp. They don't issue you a new visa.

TH

• 5 years later...

Hello lopburi3

You have a lot of helpful replies. I wonder if you can offer an opinion on this, please.

I have a Non-Immigrant retirement visa with a single entry ($65). I am going on Feb 1 to report my address in Chiang Mai, and at the same time want to change my single entry to a multiple entry. I want to leave on a short holiday to Hanoi. It will be my only exit from Thailand in the year that I am here.

Can you tell me what supporting documents you need when you request the change (in addition to 2000 bt?).

Many thanks.

h

You cannot change from a single non-immigrant visa to a multiple immigrant visa at Thai immigration. Thai immirgaiton only gives extensions of stay. Since you are doing 90 day reprots, I presume you are currently on an extension of stay from immigraiton allwowing you to stay for 1 year.

In that case you apply for a re-entry permit if you want to leave the country and return and keep your current extension of stay alive. The cost is 1,000 for a single, which seems al you need (A multiple is 3,800 baht).

Take a passport size picture with you, and a copy of your passport and if you have from the airline ticket.

• Like 1

Hi Blazes.

I think you are here on a single entry non-OA visa that gives you 1 year permission of stay when entering Thailand.

If you intend to leave for a trip abroad you must go to immigrations and get a re-entry permit.

1000 baht for single re-entry 3800 for multiple re-entry.

• Like 1

As said what you need is a re-entry permit prior to travel to keep your current permitted to stay date on your return. You enter that re-entry information as you would a visa and make sure they reset the stamp for the allowed stay on entry.

Hi Blazes.

I think you are here on a single entry non-OA visa that gives you 1 year permission of stay when entering Thailand.

If you intend to leave for a trip abroad you must go to immigrations and get a re-entry permit.

1000 baht for single re-entry 3800 for multiple re-entry.

Thanks, Poorsucker, this is precisely my situation. I have a one-year O/A retirement visa (expires next November). But just a single entry. And I just want to leave the country for a one-off trip to Hanoi.

So, to get the re-entry permit, what supporting docs do I need? (Have you yourself been through this routine?)

TIA

Blazes

• 3 weeks later...