Out and back to Thailand

Hello guys,

Happy New Year :intheclub:

I would like to ask a question.

Would you be so kind as to tell me how to handle the following situation?

I am a Hungarian citizen and my country belongs to the ones that when visiting Thailand the visa is not required for 30 days because it is on the list of countries with the Tourist Visa Exemption.

Therefore, I plan to go to Thailand and spend there three weeks. However, within those three weeks I would like to visit Vietnam or Cambodia and spend there three to five days and come back to Thailand.

So let's say I left Thailand by plane, spent a weekend in Vietnam and would like to get back to Thailand by plane as well.

Do I need some visa when I am coming back to Thailand or my thirty days will still be valid (the thirty days when I had came in Thailand based on the Tourist Visa Exemption)?

I apologize if my question is complicated and please ask for additional info if needed so I am going to provide you with a clarification.

If you are flying in, you probably won't have a problem but may be flagged for extra scrutiny to determine if you are a genuine tourist or actually working after several visits (I seem to recall this happens on the 6th entry, but I am not sure). You could need to show you flights out or the equivalent of 20,000 THB to show you are a genuine tourist.

By land, the recent regulations would limit you to entering 2 times on visa exempt.

If you need more certainty, you should apply for a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) before you leave Hungary.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Under the new regulations, starting I belirve on January 1st 2017 you will be limited to 2 of those visa free entries in a year.

I n other wotfd only 2 of those entries in 2017.

Only 2 by land, unlimited by air!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wayned said:

Only 2 by land, unlimited by air!

Not really unlimited - just "not specified".  People have been booted at the airport checkpoint, picked out for either staying long-term and/or visiting too frequently.  The usual excuse used is claiming the foreigner did not have enough money to support their stay.

OP - be sure to have 20K Baht worth of currency or travelers checks on your person upon entry.  Show it at the first sign of questioning.  Those refused entry based on not having sufficient funds are not given the option to go to an ATM to prove they really do have the money to afford their stay in Thailand.

• Like 2

Thank you guys for your knowledgeable inputs. They are very informative.

Actually, I am officially married in Thailand although I live in Hungary and my wife in Thailand.

Do you think it would be a good idea to take a copy of the marriage certificate with me in case they start questioning why I come often to Thailand?

57 minutes ago, WebGuy said:

Thank you guys for your knowledgeable inputs. They are very informative.

Actually, I am officially married in Thailand although I live in Hungary and my wife in Thailand.

Do you think it would be a good idea to take a copy of the marriage certificate with me in case they start questioning why I come often to Thailand?

Yes, having a copy of the marriage certificate would be a very good idea. Note that with a few more documents you could get a one-year multiple entry Non O visa to visit your wife. This would eliminate the chances of being questioned.

• Like 1