How early do I need to apply for extension on my Non-immigrant "O" visa?

I have a non-immigrant "O" retirement visa, newly secured.  The first one they issue is apparently for 90 days and expires Feb 27.  I will be renewing it for a year.  However, I'm going on a trip to the USA soon and was hoping to extend the trip for quite some time to travel in South America before returning.  I was wondering, what is the latest I can apply for my extension?  Can I walk in on Feb 27 and get the extension, or do I need a week in advance, or three weeks, or what?  Basically when do I need to fly back and handle this?  I'm leaving Wed so I don't have time to handle it before I go.  

I apologize if this has already been covered.  I read at  http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/ExtendingStay.pdf that I need to have 15 days remaining on my visa to apply for an extension.  Is that the case?  Thank you for any information.  

You would need to get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry when your return. If not you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You can get the re-entry permit at either airport in Bangkok  on departure from the country. The fee for a single re-entry permit is 1000 baht.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days early or 45 days at some immigration office up the last day of your permit to stay (Feb 27th).

• Like 1

for most immigration offices u can apply for the 1 year extension 30-45 days BEFORE your non o expires.

or the day it 5xpires.

friend of mines extension expired on the 25th of Nov,  he flew in on the 25th. immigration stamped him in for one day, ( he had a multi re entry permit) he made it to immigration office in Phuket and got the paperwork filed for another year.  Dont recommend u do this and at least do the day before  :-)

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would need to get a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 day entry when your return. If not you would only get a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You can get the re-entry permit at either airport in Bangkok  on departure from the country. The fee for a single re-entry permit is 1000 baht.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days early or 45 days at some immigration office up the last day of your permit to stay (Feb 27th).

This seems to be strange??? Non Immigrant "O" leaving the country and need a re en try permit???... I thought that Re entry permit was needed only for a "O-A"-VISA or extensions....

Glegolo

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

This seems to be strange??? Non Immigrant "O" leaving the country and need a re en try permit???... I thought that Re entry permit was needed only for a "O-A"-VISA or extensions....

Glegolo

He apparently has a single entry non-o visa and is on the one 90 day entry it allows. He needs a re-entry permit to keep that 90 day entry valid or he would need to get a new visa to get a 90 day entry that can be used to apply for the extension.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He apparently has a single entry non-o visa and is on the one 90 day entry it allows. He needs a re-entry permit to keep that 90 day entry valid or he would need to get a new visa to get a 90 day entry that can be used to apply for the extension.

Thank you Ubon joe, great to learn here about the VISA etc..Didnt´know about that thing at all....

Thanks and happy new year

Glegolo

17 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Dont recommend u do this and at least do the day before  :-)

This would still be cutting it a bit fine for comfort IMHO. Better to apply by at least a week beforehand.

• Like 2

Good lord, I thought it was obvious that I have a re-entry permit, as I am going to re-enter and renew my visa, sorry I didn't clarify that.  Given that yes, I know I need a permit to re-enter, and yes, I know how to apply for the extension, can somebody answer my question?  LOL  To refresh our memories, " what is the latest I can apply for my extension?  Can I walk in on Feb 27 and get the extension, or do I need a week in advance, or three weeks, or what?  Basically when do I need to fly back and handle this?"  I'm not asking how to apply, or what documents I need, or how I re-enter when I come back.  Just want to know the latest I can return from my trip and still re-apply, because I cannot apply before I leave.  Don't have time.  It's for my Dad's funeral and I cannot delay departure.  

23 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

for most immigration offices u can apply for the 1 year extension 30-45 days BEFORE your non o expires.

or the day it 5xpires.

friend of mines extension expired on the 25th of Nov,  he flew in on the 25th. immigration stamped him in for one day, ( he had a multi re entry permit) he made it to immigration office in Phuket and got the paperwork filed for another year.  Dont recommend u do this and at least do the day before  :-)

Aha!  An answer!  Thank you.  I saw on the Pattaya site that I'm supposed to come back 15 days before.  Maybe I will go to immigration and ask, but they are notoriously wrong, bad at English, and confusing.  :-) 

24 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Aha!  An answer!  Thank you.  I saw on the Pattaya site that I'm supposed to come back 15 days before.  Maybe I will go to immigration and ask, but they are notoriously wrong, bad at English, and confusing.  :-) 

My answer was here.

On 1/1/2017 at 7:00 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days early or 45 days at some immigration offices up the last day of your permit to stay (Feb 27th).

The 15 days is to apply for a non immigrant visa entry at immigration not an extension.

No problem to apply on the last day since you already have a non-o visa but best to do it few days before in case there is a problem.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

My answer was here.

The 15 days is to apply for a non immigrant visa entry at immigration not an extension.

No problem to apply on the last day since you already have a non-o visa but best to do it few days before in case there is a problem.

Great, thanks for repeating and clarifying in response to my concerns.  Very appreciate it.  This means I can stay longer in South America exploring.  That whole area is new to me.  Thank you thank you.  

On 1/1/2017 at 7:23 PM, glegolo said:

thought that Re entry permit was needed only for a "O-A"-VISA or extensions....

If someone has a still valid, not expired, non-imm O-A (which is a multi-entry visa) you would not need a re-entry permit. Once it expires and you are in the country on a permission to stay from the last entry or if you have obtained an extension of stay, then you would need a re-entry permit.

17 hours ago, wealthychef said:

To refresh our memories, " what is the latest I can apply for my extension?

For an extension of stay based on retirement, you can go to immigrations 30 days before your permission to stay from your last entry expires. At some offices it can be 45 days early.

The latest you can apply would be the day when the permission to stay ends. But as others have said, leaving it to the last minute could present problems if, for one reason or another, you weren't able to submit the application on that date.

There is nothing to be gained by waiting to the last minute. The annual extension of stay is added onto the last day of your permission to stay regardless of when you apply.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

For an extension of stay based on retirement, you can go to immigrations 30 days before your permission to stay from your last entry expires. At some offices it can be 45 days early.

The latest you can apply would be the day when the permission to stay ends. But as others have said, leaving it to the last minute could present problems if, for one reason or another, you weren't able to submit the application on that date.

There is nothing to be gained by waiting to the last minute. The annual extension of stay is added onto the last day of your permission to stay regardless of when you apply.

Thanks!  The reason I'm waiting for the last minute is as I said I have extended travel plans and don't want to cut them short if I don't have to.  

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

If someone has a still valid, not expired, non-imm O-A (which is a multi-entry visa) you would not need a re-entry permit. Once it expires and you are in the country on a permission to stay from the last entry or if you have obtained an extension of stay, then you would need a re-entry permit.

I don't know the technical terms exactly, but my visa says "NON-O RETIREMENT" and I needed a re-entry permit in order for it to be valid upon re-entry to Thailand after my trip.